I didn't get to the game yesterday, but after speaking to a few of my mates and family who did, I am a bit supprised that we looked flat.

I trust LJ, in fact I would go as far to say he will be one of our best managers at BP and will be held in high esteem.

He looked bitterly disappointed during the interview and it got me thinking that he can still influence a game. I would like to see him come off the bench and then he can have an impact on the game.

He's a good player and still got it, he has a bench of experience to help him. What a lift for the players if the gaffer comes on puts in a couple of crunching tackles and takes the game by the scruff of the neck. Sometimes a game needs someone to lift it, he would be the perfect example.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats with all this Byrne bashing? yeah he got caught on the ball once!! but he was on the pitch whilst Latics were camped out for the most part 25 yards out from Walsalls goal...... he wasn't that :censored:ing bad.

He's got the mobility of a 40 year old who plays 5 a side once a week. Johnson only put him on to show the masses why Mellor's been playing centre-half.

He's got the mobility of a 40 year old who plays 5 a side once a week. Johnson only put him on to show the masses why Mellor's been playing centre-half.

Wow...you believe that!!

Sure he's slow, we know that, but he wasn't as bad as been made out .

whats with all this Byrne bashing? yeah he got caught on the ball once!! but he was on the pitch whilst Latics were camped out for the most part 25 yards out from Walsalls goal...... he wasn't that :censored:ing bad.

I didn't see a single good touch from him and those back-headers, oh my god..

Maybe all of this was a show of cunning from LJ, sick of hearing all of the Mellor bashing, he set us up.. told Mellor to fake injury, stuck on Byrne (and told him to be slow and clumsy), then told us not to bother being clinical or threatening in anything more than short impotent bursts.. safe in the knowledge there would be outcries of 'COME BACK MELLOR AT CB! WE NEED YOU!' and 'DON'T PLAY THE HOOF!', whilst plotting fervently to secure a 3-0 trouncing of Peterborough next week.

I didn't see a single good touch from him and those back-headers, oh my god..

Maybe all of this was a show of cunning from LJ, sick of hearing all of the Mellor bashing, he set us up.. told Mellor to fake injury, stuck on Byrne (and told him to be slow and clumsy), then told us not to bother being clinical or threatening in anything more than short impotent bursts.. safe in the knowledge there would be outcries of 'COME BACK MELLOR AT CB! WE NEED YOU!' and 'DON'T PLAY THE HOOF!', whilst plotting fervently to secure a 3-0 trouncing of Peterborough next week.

That's same planning....

Nice to see support of a player who comes into a game when his team are already losing and under the kosh with very little pre-season time under his belt who, despite this, continues to work hard every day in training and endeavours to remain a positive influence on younger professionals around him finding their way in the game. ?

Nice to see support of a player who comes into a game when his team are already losing and under the kosh with very little pre-season time under his belt who, despite this, continues to work hard every day in training and endeavours to remain a positive influence on younger professionals around him finding their way in the game. ?

Well said Mrs byrne. When will he be signing for Scunthorpe?

Edited by welshgaz

Nice to see support of a player who comes into a game when his team are already losing and under the kosh with very little pre-season time under his belt who, despite this, continues to work hard every day in training and endeavours to remain a positive influence on younger professionals around him finding their way in the game.

We all know that Cliff is a massive influence around the club, I think you will find the majority of fans are pleased we have him at BP. To be fair Sandra, message boards are not a good way to indicate the full measure of fans thoughts... He may have had a stinker yesterday, I had a stinker at work on Friday, part of the course....

He's a top pro and his positive influence around the club/on the younger players isn't being questioned to be fair. He's been a very decent centre-half and I'm not trying to do him a disservice, but he was off the pace yesterday.

He's a top pro and his positive influence around the club/on the younger players isn't being questioned to be fair. He's been a very decent centre-half and I'm not trying to do him a disservice, but he was off the pace yesterday.

Off the pace because he had very little pre-season time? There's your answer. Should be supporting him instead of having a go.

I'm not trying to say he didn't have an off game, there'll be no one harder on him than himself. He's never been the quickest and never will be but despite this he's had 11 years as a professional including 3 promotions so must have something to offer more than a 40 year old who plays 5 a side once a week.

As I've said in a different thread, I was if the opinion that Byrne was still worth his wage due to his experience and influence in & around this young squad; and with the bonus of being a dependable option to play CB as & when needed.

What I did fear though was that Cliff's lack of outright "footballing ability" * would simply not fit in with the new style, and his severe lack of pace would be exposed more than ever.

Yesterday proved that unfortunately.

Time and again he was found out, for pace - both in bog-standard foot races and of recovery, and so many times he simoly went wandering out of position leaving gaps right down our centre. I'm sorry to say, but everytime he had the ball at his feet, i was worried. Everytime their player looked to be about to have a foot face against him, i was worried...

For me, in an ideal world, Something needs to be arranged for Cliff to go back to Scunthorpe; as his wage can now be used better for the goidnif this squad. His positive influence on the squad is now simply not enough to warrant a healthy weekly wage with us.

When the legs go (and he was never the quickest anyway) and you get shambolic displays lime yesterday, its time to go.

* he's always been a row z defender, a no nonsense head it / kick it type. Whilst i do like the whole-hearted nature of those type of players; we now don't have the set up that needs that type of sort. Our passig from the back game disappeared completely once Cliff came on. Brutal facts are that he isn't, and has never ever been, the type of player who would be able to do that form of football tactic.

I'm not trying to say he didn't have an off game, there'll be no one harder on him than himself. He's never been the quickest and never will be but despite this he's had 11 years as a professional including 3 promotions so must have something to offer more than a 40 year old who plays 5 a side once a week.

There wasn't meant to be any personal element in that comment. It was a :censored: 'gag' anyway, but I was only passing judgement based on yesterday's game. He's had a career that most on here (myself included) would've loved.

That's some planning....

If anyone is capable of it, it's our LJ. I don't think that happened at all though, of course.

I also don't particuarly want Cliff to leave, but I think he could be of much better service in a tracksuit with a certain young Latvian chained to his side.

I don't think Johnson should be getting his boots on again. While I don't doubt he could do a job I believe his job is to improve everybody else in the team, not do it all himself.

As for Cliff, not his finest hour of football but he sacrificed his pre-season for the good of the manager's plans and we kept a clean sheet while he was on the pitch. He was also the only player making himself available to Oxley second half. Grounds in particular noticeable by his absence. Unfortunately for Cliff Walsall limited his next option to either a long hoof or a short ball to Connor Brown - which is like driving down a cul-de-sac.

We will do better than yesterday in most games.

If anyone is capable of it, it's our LJ. I don't think that happened at all though, of course.

I also don't particuarly want Cliff to leave, but I think he could be of much better service in a tracksuit with a certain young Latvian chained to his side.

He's only 31, probably wants to play for a while longer yet.

Again I'll stick up for Brown. I like the little fella, but wish he'd take his man on. At the same time, I also wish Dayton would trust him more when he's on the overlap. Happened against Derby and happened loads yesterday when Brown made himself available and Dayton chose to cut back inside.

Edited by DTM

Nice to see support of a player who comes into a game when his team are already losing and under the kosh with very little pre-season time under his belt who, despite this, continues to work hard every day in training and endeavours to remain a positive influence on younger professionals around him finding their way in the game.

Well said

I wouldn't take it so personally. Some of latics best players have effectively been hounded out of the club by the vocal "boo boy" minority, some of whom are playing successfully a level above.

We all know that Cliff is a massive influence around the club, I think you will find the majority of fans are pleased we have him at BP. To be fair Sandra, message boards are not a good way to indicate the full measure of fans thoughts... He may have had a stinker yesterday, I had a stinker at work on Friday, part of the course....

This.