Football's Suicide Secret....

....was on BBC last night, presented by Clarke Carlisle, possibly the most articulate and erudite [former] footballer I know.

If you haven't seen it... it’s well worth finding on iplayer.

Sadly, we all know football is macho and so unlike the rest of society, admitting mental illness or homosexuality, is not common place, which leads to discrimination and prejudice.

However, I found Clarke’s description of abuse from the terrace – from his own supporters – to be particularly painful to listen to, especially when I often hear Latics fans getting on the back’s of our own players when they inevitably have a bad game.

Mr Carlisle explained how this affected his state of mind and ultimately his performance. Our lads need to hear us support them and sing their names.

I am as astounded as Prozac with some of the comments posted on here in the last week… and interaction seemingly with Cliff Byrne’s wife, after only 2 league games of the season.

We have a good young manager, a solvent club [ref Coventry if you want something to moan about], some exciting young players and some committed older pro’s like Cliff to look after them.

Get behind the lads and they’ll do better than if you moan at them.

See you all at London Road. COME ON OLDHAM!

The programme dealt with the dark side of depression and then the following day we heard the story about the (wrongly-named) Kitman. The MEN and Chron quoted a source saying the Kitman was "devastated" and “He was distraught and walked out as soon as it happened. We haven’t seen him since and we think he is really depressed about it. We’ve tried to get in touch but haven’t been able to manage it. We’re quite worried about him.”

Hope he's contacted soon and can be reassured that accidents happen to everyone - that's what insurance is for.

However, I found Clarke’s description of abuse from the terrace – from his own supporters – to be particularly painful to listen to, especially when I often hear Latics fans getting on the back’s of our own players when they inevitably have a bad game.

Mr Carlisle explained how this affected his state of mind and ultimately his performance.

This is why I can never agree with anyone who thinks it's okay to aim abuse at an individual just because they've paid their money, or anyone who thinks just because they're professional footballers they can just block it out.

There is a difference between "that was a :censored: pass" and "you're just :censored:".

Honest feedback or unreasonable harassment. Same for managing people in any walk of life. Same for raising kids.

Although to people prone to depression, those two heckles can be perceived as the exact same thing.

I think the issue of depression goes beyond Football, it's more to do with the quick fix, instant demanding, highly competetive world we live in today. It can at times be very nasty and work against human nature

As for supporters the myth that players don't try gets me, I know from personal experience that there is nothing worse than slogging your guts out only to be told that your best is not enough

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Guest Scratch2000uk

So it's ok to moan about referees performances, but not a players?

I think at times that some peoples aims are to make football so sterile,just in case somebody might be offended even by proxy, that it becomes unwatchable.

Don't get me wrong, depression is a horrible thing to deal with and it might be an idea for football clubs to be made aware of the signs of it.

So it's ok to moan about referees performances, but not a players?

I think at times that some peoples aims are to make football so sterile,just in case somebody might be offended even by proxy, that it becomes unwatchable.

Don't get me wrong, depression is a horrible thing to deal with and it might be an idea for football clubs to be made aware of the signs of it.

Quite.

The day when i can't give out crap to opposition players & the opposition backroom team is the day when my seat in the MSP can go to someone else.

When the performances are bad, its one of the few things that keep me going.

Take terrance shouts - both positive & negative away - and you've got the theatre or ballet.

Football has always and should continue to have shouts from the crowd.

You obviously didn't see much of Graeme Sharp in a Latics shirt then !

His awful miss at Wembley aside, Sharp was quality for us, a real class player. The number of times he did flick ons into space that weren't read by his teammates was untrue. Terrible manager though.

Slightly late to this thread, but its not just football, it's a lot of public life. Look at any thread on Twitter about a trending topic and you'll find people, some of them "famous" and verified, so should know better, giving abuse to quite ordinary people who just happen to be on tv at that point. That abuse could be borderline illegal too, especially if they are from a protected group. Sometimes without it being obvious, eg if they have a mental health illness.

Where do we get this idea that people we see playing football or on the telly are better at taking/knowing when not to give out stick than someone who works in a shop or a bank or a warehouse?

Because they have had the same treatment from the other side, those who work in a warehouse are unlikely to have had people they don't know saying quite unpleasant things about them. I accept your point about other professions though, especially those who regularly deal with members of the public in difficult situations, like for example traffic wardens

Because they have had the same treatment from the other side, those who work in a warehouse are unlikely to have had people they don't know saying quite unpleasant things about them. I accept your point about other professions though, especially those who regularly deal with members of the public in difficult situations, like for example traffic wardens

Traffic wardens are a dream for people who would love to have a go at someone in uniform but are scared of trying it with a copper. It may help if he isn't white. Re: other jobs though, there will be all sorts of :censored: going on everywhere from bedrooms to toilet cleaners. You think the thick kid in the warehouse always has a good time?

Traffic wardens are a dream for people who would love to have a go at someone in uniform but are scared of trying it with a copper. It may help if he isn't white. Re: other jobs though, there will be all sorts of :censored: going on everywhere from bedrooms to toilet cleaners. You think the thick kid in the warehouse always has a good time?

They are unlikely to have people they don't know giving them abuse. That doesn't mean it's a pleasant job, it's just that they are unlikely to have that particular unpleasant disadvantage that is common with a lot of other jobs.