Well done lee Johnson

I just want to highlight a couple of things that lee Johnson has done in preparation for Josie leaving.

Didn't pick him against Port Vale and showed we can play and more importantly win without him

Has come up with a system that didn't really have space for Jose in it.

We have signed a player to replace Jose before he left in DP.

If its true we are close to hitting the 60% of our turnover then the sale of Jose for 150k he added 90k to his playing budget.

Also Jose must be on 3k a week so we now have another 150k available to the playing budget and with sc liking what he sees with LJ I can see him backing him in the transfer market.

Well done LJ I'm gutted Jose has gone however believe we are in a great position to be a better team without him

You'll not replace Baxter. Certainly not with DP.

We might be able to play a more balanced game. Sacrificing a bit of magic for a bit of midfield solidity. But we will miss the passing. Jesus we will miss the passing.

You'll not replace Baxter. Certainly not with DP.

We might be able to play a more balanced game. Sacrificing a bit of magic for a bit of midfield solidity. But we will miss the passing. Jesus we will miss the passing.

Totally agree. I think he brought more to the came than a lot of people give him credit for!

I'd be amazed if we manage to "replace" him - with like for like quality.

Bodies in - yep; 2 in already, and more to come apparently. Squad wise and team wise in terms of numbers and depth, we will be in better shape for this with the finances freed up by the move.

But, to replace the talent of Jose like for like? There simply aren't many players like him out there available to us. Wow, if we do, then LJ will go far in the management game! I doubt we can do; but hope we somehow manage to pull it off.

Oh yes well done for selling the brightest spark to light up an otherwise total load of crap for the last decade. Oh, and at a knock down price to a club in the same league. Genius. Real vision that matches the clubs myopic ambition.

If LJ had talked Jose into signing without the clause, several months before he was appointed as manager, it would have been more than genius.

I just want to highlight a couple of things that lee Johnson has done in preparation for Josie leaving.

Didn't pick him against Port Vale and showed we can play and more importantly win without him

If its true we are close to hitting the 60% of our turnover then the sale of Jose for 150k he added 90k to his playing budget.

Also Jose must be on 3k a week so we now have another 150k available to the playing budget and with sc liking what he sees with LJ I can see him backing him in the transfer market.

Well done LJ I'm gutted Jose has gone however believe we are in a great position to be a better team without him

If LJ planned this then fantastic, but while I rate him I highly doubt he planned the Baxter sale to this extent. More that he planned to give us lots of attacking variety and has rolled with the punches (which he's done well).

Although I can see the arguments for selling Jose Baxter, I still believe that this was the wrong thing to do.

Also - why is the fee 'undisclosed'? Is it because the fee is low (150k?) and the club is trying to hide this?

Now there are rumours that we may sell Tarkowski too - another bad decision if indeed that proves to be true.

So we have brought in a 19 year old midfielder from City who is given a big build up by LJ who then adds that he will need time to adjust to the league and stye of play...

It seems to me that whenever we have a chance of building something at Oldham, we go and undermine the foundations

Am I the only one who is beginning to lose a little faith in the LJ revolution?

:peepwall:

Although I can see the arguments for selling Jose Baxter, I still believe that this was the wrong thing to do.

Also - why is the fee 'undisclosed'? Is it because the fee is low (150k?) and the club is trying to hide this?

Now there are rumours that we may sell Tarkowski too - another bad decision if indeed that proves to be true.

So we have brought in a 19 year old midfielder from City who is given a big build up by LJ who then adds that he will need time to adjust to the league and stye of play...

It seems to me that whenever we have a chance of building something at Oldham, we go and undermine the foundations

Again, we had no say in the sale of Baxter, the clause was hit and he wanted to go.

Probably, hes won 2 out of 4 in the league, narrowly knocked out of the League cup by a team that stuck 5 past one of the supposed strongest teams in our division, replacing some quite poor and underachieving players with what looks like young and willing players and also putting a huge amount of effort into developing our own young players by getting them out on loan and others in and around our first team. He also seems to have a good deal of knowhow of how a good team plays and who exactly fits into that team and in which way (unlike Dickov and Sheridan).

Baxter leaving probably wasnt LDJs decision, it was probably more of a commercial upstairs kinda deal, as Tarkowski would be if someone came in with a very reasonable price. We are still a selling club, but if he can replace 1 or 2 or 3 young talented players with 4-5-6 players to benefit the squad whilst still turning a profit on those players, then thats exactly what is needed at a club like ours.

Im still very impressed with him, and it would take something drastic at the minute for me to lose faith in him after 6 months of positiveness around the club.

100% agree with OP.

Everybody liked Baxter but there is a bigger picture here. We've proven that as much as we would've liked him to stay and as much as we've enjoyed watching him play.. we don't need Jose. As proven by the end of last season and also this season, with the game as Port Vale as a solid reference.

Rusnak looks quality, and if this Lanzoni is as good as those who have seen him suggest, then.. I continue to have absolute faith that we'll do well this season, and exceptionally well in the next five years.

:ktf:

A shame he had to go but it was always an eventuality.

Stats make interesting reading..

MENOAFC @MENOAFC 13h

Going back to points per game averages last season, it was 0.97ppg with JB and 1.86ppg without. #oafc

Latics are and always will be a selling-club but, compare the feeling around the club now as to this time last season.

Probably, hes won lost half of his league games plus lost at home to a weakened Derby side in the cup thereby losing a potential revenue stream 2 out of 4 in the league, narrowly knocked out of the League cup by a team that stuck 5 past one of the supposed strongest teams in our division, replacing some quite poor and underachieving players with what looks like young and willing players and also and is sending clear signals to a number of homegrown players that they are simply not good enough by farming them out to lower non league clubs putting a huge amount of effort into developing our own young players by getting them out on loan and others in and around our first team but hardly ever selecting them. - also is he really giving them a chance when loanees are coming in? Seems very similar to what Dickov did....

He also seems to have a good deal of knowhow of how a good team plays and who exactly fits into that team and in which way (unlike Dickov and Sheridan). Disagree about Sheridan

Baxter leaving probably wasnt LDJs decision, it was probably more of a commercial upstairs kinda deal, as Tarkowski would be if someone came in with a very reasonable price (150k is not reasonable in my opinion).

We are still a selling club, but if he can replace 1 or 2 or 3 young talented players with 4-5-6 players to benefit the squad whilst still turning a profit on those players, then thats exactly what is needed at a club like ours. Disagree - if we are ever going to get out of this division then we have to get rid of that mentality

Im still very impressed with him, and it would take something drastic at the minute for me to lose faith in him after 6 months of positiveness around the club.

So ... you could put another spin on that... just my opinion and not saying that the positivity has gone just saying that I am losing a little of that faith with recent events...

So ... you could put another spin on that... just my opinion and not saying that the positivity has gone just saying that I am losing a little of that faith with recent events...

Ffs we are top half playing entertaining football and have the largest squad i remember in a while cheer up. As you say in your edited quote we need to lose the mentality. But do you not think we need to lose the mentality of expecting every manager to fail? I couldnt give a damn what lj does as long as we are performing in terms of league position and on the pitch. Correct me if im wrong but dont we have a 50% win rate in johnsons time here? That would see us finish in the play offs or more depending how many draws you throw in.

Cheer up and enjoy the positivity

Edited by philliggi

Ffs we are top half playing entertaining football and have the largest squad i remember in a while cheer up. As you say in your edited quote we need to lose the mentality. But do you not think we need to lose the mentality of expecting every manager to fail? I couldnt give a damn what lj does as long as we are performing in terms of league position and on the pitch. Correct me if im wrong but dont we have a 50% win rate in johnsons time here? That would see us finish in the play offs or more depending how many draws you throw in.

Cheer up and enjoy the positivity

Positivity/False Dawns - again it is all about how you look at it. 'Judge me after 10 games' is an often heard phrase so some way to go yet before we see an emerging pattern of play. My original comment was to express my disappointment at letting Baxter go on the cheap (as I understand it). My edited comment was to point out that there are two sides to every argument.

No expectation that Johnson will fail, merely pointing out that, for me, that positivity (which still remains) has been slightly dented recently.

As has been said on this board before, it sometimes seems that you cannot put a counter argument or have an opinion that is contrary to that of the majority.

Now that cheered me up. :grin:

Baxter going is not the end of the world. I rather felt we looked to him a little too much and when the opposition were on their game he was squeezed out. He was an inconsistent focal point rather than a a vital cog in the wheel. He'll be missed when we look back at the goal highlights reel from this season, I don't think he'll be missed when we look at the table.

I'm just mainly glad that we have plenty of assets again (both current and potentially). Unlike an earlier poster, I think the key to progression in this division and beyond (for a club like ours) is always have teams knocking on your door offering to buy your players. Sometimes we will have to sell, but so long as we are as plugged into the football world as LJ seems to be, suitable replacments can be found.

Jesus Christ we have 6 points from 12, a stronger squad than i can remember in years (even without Baxter) playing more attractive entertaining football, youth players showing promise, a very promising manager, a steady ship financially and hopefully a new stand in 12 months. I'm happy with all that is OAFC at the mo and looking forward to the rest of this season. Some people will never be happy...