Well done lee Johnson

After years of journeymen and the tedious :censored:e that goes with them, I am totally pissed off in losing someone with a genuine creative spark. We've had enough bogofs, and now we've got even more. Bollocks, he was worth the entrance fee. Who else can you say that about?Tarky? Smith? Good players but not the same. When Jose got the ball you got excited, whether he delivered or not. The rest are functional. How very exciting.

After years of journeymen and the tedious :censored:e that goes with them, I am totally pissed off in losing someone with a genuine creative spark. We've had enough bogofs, and now we've got even more. Bollocks, he was worth the entrance fee. Who else can you say that about?Tarky? Smith? Good players but not the same. When Jose got the ball you got excited, whether he delivered or not. The rest are functional. How very exciting.

Wait till you see Rusnak, he will have you leaping out of your seat.

Absolute bollocks. :redcard:

Baxter going is not the end of the world. I rather felt we looked to him a little too much and when the opposition were on their game he was squeezed out. He was an inconsistent focal point rather than a a vital cog in the wheel. He'll be missed when we look back at the goal highlights reel from this season, I don't think he'll be missed when we look at the table.

I'm just mainly glad that we have plenty of assets again (both current and potentially). Unlike an earlier poster, I think the key to progression in this division and beyond (for a club like ours) is always have teams knocking on your door offering to buy your players. Sometimes we will have to sell, but so long as we are as plugged into the football world as LJ seems to be, suitable replacments can be found.

Ab-so-lute-ly

One player does not make a team. Yes Baxter was absolute quality, yes he will be missed, but no he is not bigger than Oldham Athletic. Baxter has moved on, the club have moved on, we as fans must move on.

We move on because we have no other choice - the club has made a decision to sell and only time will tell if it is the right one. But that does not mean we have to agree with the decision. Gutted again.

I see latics and baxter in a similar light to bale and spurs. Yes thry are losing their best player. Easily the greatest player they have had in ten years maybe more but with the players they are able to bring in using both the transfer fee and freed up wages i would bet anyone spurs will finish top four this year. Not saying latics will finish top six but i expect a drastically improved season even with the loss of a great player.

I would rather have 4 good players who fit ljs style than one exceptional llayer who doesnt quite know what his best position in the team is

I am struggling to understand why some fans have become almost hysterical over our perceived impending doom over the loss of one player. 'One' player has never made a successful side. We were in trouble in the league when Jose arrived and were in trouble in the league until Lee Johnson arrived. How is that possible?

At least wait for a few games to see if the same Lee Johnson can maintain his 'so far, pretty damn good record' without the fans 'star man'. Johnson has revitalised quite visibly the tactics, quality, fitness, footballing ability, communication with fans and pretty much anything else that he has touched.

At present Lee Johnson is a million miles nearer to a 'one man band' than Jose Baxter will ever be. All the fans want to see is attractive, competitive football with a wiff of promotion in our nostrils rather than relegation. Six months down the line Lee Johnson has done nothing for me to suspect that he doesn't know what he is doing.

And no, I don't think I have gone over board with praise for LJ. I am simply chronicling the progress he has made with the club in 6 short months. I am enjoying the attractive football, the future I will leave to Mystic Meg. And like the economist, John Maynard once remarked "when the facts change I will change my mind, what do you do sir?"

Nite, nite all!

Players come and go and Baxter came , and without his goals last season we would have gone down.but in years to come will we say he was a latics legend probably not.I wish him well and hope he goes on to score 20 plus goals this season it might even benefit us if his goals take points off teams around us in the league. I have seen nothing in this league that should frighten us even the free scoring Peterborough only just beat us then put 5 past trannies and 6 past Reading , so much for our dodgy defence I think we are living in interesting times down at boundary park sit back and enjoy the ride folks and with bit of good fortune the play offs might become more than a dream

Baxter was a shot in the arm when he arrived, a breath of fresh air, at a time when all we were used to was loanees and journeymen.

When he signed that contract in January, I, along with the rest, were bloody flabbergasted. Here was an immensly skilful player more than capable of playing at the top end of the championship signing on the dotted line for little Latics. It was refreshing that regardless of better offers elsewhere he just wanted to play football here, at BP.

The decision he made that day gave us another 6 months of what we had been missing for far too long......entertainment!!

We should all be grateful to have seen probably the most gifted player to wear the blue shirt since the days of Ritchie and before that Stainrod.

However, we move on, safe in the knowledge that we now, potentially, have just about the best manager and squad of players that we've had at this club in the last 20 years.

I'm always pretty optimistic at the start of any season but by the end of November I'm usually sick to the back teeth that the promise of yet another succesful season has again failed to materialise.

I'm convinced this season will be different, and from what I've seen and heard so far there is a football revolution going on at the club

This guy is the Jose Mourinho of our division and he isn't going to be here for too long. I'm convinced he can get us up into the Championship this year or next and like he said when he leaves we will be in a far better state than when he arrived.

The rest is up to us.....there will be setbacks along the way and we wont win every game, however, If we give him and the team our maximum support I'm pretty sure we can be succesful......sooner rather than later!!

Pedantic me wishes to point out that Dowie's squad of 2002/3 would probably give this one a good hiding. But that is an anomaly in the history of Latics being in this division.

As a comparison, the Shez team of 2006/7 and a bit beyond against this team would be a match I'd happily pay more than £20 to see, as there would quite frankly be a shed load of goals in it, and I can see this year's side winning more than not.

But to end on a positive note, this time last year (or in the equivalent point in the season), we were still searching for our first win. Still searching for a decent striker as it became clearer that Slew's back was dodgy. We found two good strikers not long after and whilst we have just lost the perhaps better of the two, I feel that we can cope with that loss a lot better than we could have done if we hadn't found him or if he had departed in Jan.

This season may not have the highs of last season (time is still to tell); but it's a season who's journey could still be a memorable one for years to come. As it has the potential of being the season that is seen in the future the start of an even greater journey.

Edited by rudemedic