Team for Rotherham

The result aside, it was a very pleasing performance on Tuesday, bar a couple of individuals who failed to impress.

Out: Wesolowski, Philliskirk & Rooney

In: Mellor, McDonald & JCH

---------------------- Oxley -------------------

Lanzoni -- Tarkowski -- Grounds -- Mills

--------------- Smith -- Mellor ---------------

--Schmeltz ----------------------- Dayton --

----------------------- JCH --------------------

------------------MacDonald -----------------

We know JCH likes to drop deep for the ball, turn and then run at defences, and considering the number of times we got the ball in the box against Preston, I'd like to see MacDonald in their and hope that he can put one or two away. Rooney (and possibly Philliskirk) to come off the bench in the 2nd half when MacDonald tires (and if JCH is not having too good a game).

Mellor in for Wes, as I want someone who can play some incisive balls rather than a clogger. Plus, I feel Mellor can put himself about and get stuck in as much as Wes can.

I wouldn't be surprised to see LJ persist with Rooney though. He does have goals in him, and it's pissing me off that we have the fickle squad laying into him again because he didn't have his greatest game, yet he's still scored 3 goals this season and people were happy when he popped 2 in against Port Vale.

I feel we will end Rotherham's run this weekend.

Rotherham 1-3 Oldham

(JCH, MacDonald & Rooney)

Hasn't Mills gone back to Burnley? Sure someone said it was his last game against Preston but seen nothing on the fficial - if not i'd say the same side as you however I'd have Rooney Mcdonald in the side, I think LJ will persist with rooney as well.

If mills HAS gone back, then the defence will/should be Lanzoni Tarky Kusunga and Grounds I reckon

For me, Philliskirk impressed. He split the defenders, held the ball up, brought others into attack and put a hell of a shift in for 90 mins

I agree with dropping wes, however. MacDonald I think we should use as a impact sub untill 100%

Team for me should be:

Oxley

Lanzoni, Tarky, Kasunga, Grounds

Mellor, Smith

Dayton, Philliskirk, Schmeltz

Rooney, Clarke-Harris

Mills for Kasunga if his loan is extended.

Also if Johnson stays with the inswingers I'd like to see Philly and Dayton or Grounds on them

For me, Philliskirk impressed. He split the defenders, held the ball up, brought others into attack and put a hell of a shift in for 90 mins

I agree with dropping wes, however. MacDonald I think we should use as a impact sub untill 100%

Team for me should be:

Oxley

Lanzoni, Tarky, Kasunga, Grounds

Mellor, Smith

Dayton, Philliskirk, Schmeltz

Rooney, Clarke-Harris

Mills for Kasunga if his loan is extended.

Also if Johnson stays with the inswingers I'd like to see Philly and Dayton or Grounds on them

I'd love it if we could have 12 players on the pitch as well but the referee might stop that ;)

Edited by Aaron Howarth

So pleasing you want to drop nearly a third if the team?

Yes, hence the "barring a couple of individuals". We looked strong in defense, dominant in midfield (want more of a creative threat in CM this weekend tho) but lacked a bit up top.

Quite simple really.

Hasn't Mills gone back to Burnley? Sure someone said it was his last game against Preston but seen nothing on the fficial - if not i'd say the same side as you however I'd have Rooney Mcdonald in the side, I think LJ will persist with rooney as well.

If mills HAS gone back, then the defence will/should be Lanzoni Tarky Kusunga and Grounds I reckon

If Mills has gone back, I still wouldnt change that CB pairing. Mellor in at LB probably, as opposed to the untried and non match fit Kusunga

I don't like this swapping of the strikers every week, lets give Rooney the opportunity to create a partnership with MacDonald or Philliskirk or play on his own instead of mess him about each week. He's a quality striker and he'll get us goals once he settles and develops a connection with the players around him.

Personally I'd keep the same team from Monday, perhaps put in Mellor for Wes, but I wouldn't blame LJ for keeping the exact same side when it played so well.

If Mills has gone back, I still wouldnt change that CB pairing. Mellor in at LB probably, as opposed to the untried and non match fit Kusunga

untried and non match fit Kusunga... What do you expect if we don't play him? He's still going to be untried & not match fit in a month if he doesn't get played! Lets not open the Mellor at LB debate again, Dickov almost ruined the lad playing him there.

You could say Lanzoni was untried and not match fit, but he's done a fine job.

Kusanga will have been training with the team for several weeks, so I'd have no qualms about throwing him straight in.

someone tell me what wesolowski has done wrong?? (apart from the penalty tackle the other night..)

Not being as good as Mellor.

I think we're lacking an attacking threat from CM, Wes and Smith are not the type of players who will naturally foray forward, and if I'm to choose from one of the those two it would be Korey 100 times out of 100.

To have attacking dynamism unfortunately you have to sacrifice a defensive midfield, failing to do that was where Dickov went wrong in my opinion.

and when has Mellor proven he is better at this then wes? i like Mellor and rate him a lot.. but i believe in the 'don't fix what isn't broke' wes does what LJ puts him in there to do, it's the silly mistakes and lack of goals that hasn't seen us through games up to now

someone tell me what wesolowski has done wrong?? (apart from the penalty tackle the other night..)

I think it's more what he hasn't done - he doesn't ever seem to have a stinker, but he doesn't ever grab the game by the scruff of the neck and really stand out either.

I like Wes, but Smith has taken on the mantle of "battler" in midfield and I think he needs either Mellor or Rodgers as a partner to do something with the ball once he's won it.

Edited by JoeP

and when has Mellor proven he is better at this then wes? i like Mellor and rate him a lot.. but i believe in the 'don't fix what isn't broke' wes does what LJ puts him in there to do, it's the silly mistakes and lack of goals that hasn't seen us through games up to now

Lack of goals is something that Wes is unlikely to repair, whereas most people think that Mellor can be a forward thinking midfielder who can contribute both in attack and defence.

Wes is good at his job in my opinion, but Mellor can do a lot more than him to fill a void that we need to fill to score more goals and create more chances.