September - League Summary

Fixture Date Shots On Target Comment

• Crawley 1-0 Oldham Sat 28 Sep 7 2 Early goal down, hit woodwork twice - one saved on the line - one or two showed lack of desire
  • Oldham 1-1 Crewe Sat 21 Sep 10 5 Poor first half, improved but never really looked like winning
  • Rotherham 3-2 Oldham Sat 14 Sep 7 6 Mellor sent off, fought well to take the lead, lost to a 90 minute goal
  • Preston 2-1 Oldham Mon 9 Sep 18 5 Played them off the park, naive defending eventually let us down

That sums up September for me - still very much work in progress - still failing to take chances and are punished by defensive lapses. There are murmurings of discontent and that's understandable. The majority are still behind LJ (though one or two are carrying knives...).

Bring on the undefeated league leaders.

Edited by TheBigDog

I'd like to see the opposition stats on there, shots etc.

I'm not worried.

Oposition stats in brackets:

Shots On Target

• Crawley 1-0 Oldham Sat 28 Sep 7 (12) 2 (2)
  • Oldham 1-1 Crewe Sat 21 Sep 10 (9) 5 (7)
  • Rotherham 3-2 Oldham Sat 14 Sep 7 (17) 6 (9)
  • Preston 2-1 Oldham Mon 9 Sep 18 (7) 5 (2)

Accuracy was by far the best in the Rotherham game

Not worried yet as I think we will get things together once LJ decides on his 1st choice lineup.

But yesterday left me thinking that LJ needs to deal with a few areas.

Firstly, as much as I like Mills going forward, he ain't a full back. I'd like to see Grounds back in that spot.

Secondly, the abysmal quality of dead ball kicks. How many times did we fail to get past the first man?

Thirdly, can we get our big forwards to jump. Their defenders won everything because they got both feet off the ground.

Finally, get Sid and Deayton back on the wing and crossing the ball. I reckon Sid spent more time in the middle than out wide.

Oposition stats in brackets:

Shots On Target

• Crawley 1-0 Oldham Sat 28 Sep 7 (12) 2 (2)
  • Oldham 1-1 Crewe Sat 21 Sep 10 (9) 5 (7)
  • Rotherham 3-2 Oldham Sat 14 Sep 7 (17) 6 (9)
  • Preston 2-1 Oldham Mon 9 Sep 18 (7) 5 (2)
Accuracy was by far the best in the Rotherham game
So do those stats show a club in crisis..?

We're creating chances but not converting yet with have the strikers capable. It'll happen and we'll be off and running..no doubt whatsoever.

What would happen if we had someone in the mould of Beckett or Lee Hughes? McDonald is supposedly that player but if we could afford it perhaps get another in to sit in the box and pounce on all the scraps, crosses etc. We're tantalisingly close to having a really successful team

Edited by Midsblue

That's it Midsblue.

It's so close to clicking. All the ingredients are there - players, manager, playing style.

It's so painfully close to clicking.

But - quite frankly, all these threads, And all this talk of crisis etc is basically laughable, and a really sad reflection on a worrying number of our fan base.

Crisis? My fecking arse it's a crisis.

It's 16th in the League in September is what it is.

Edited by slystallone

I'm still optimistic.

My only criticism is that he should have stuck with the system that saw us batter Preston and Tranmere (first half).

I think we'd be a few points and several goals better off if he had.

We're a point ahead of the same stage last year but have seen far more entertainment.