Settled starting lineup, "Plan A" - 12 games in, what should it be?

A lot, me included, seem to think LJ should stop tinkering and stick with a settled system and starting 11.

What would yours be, if everyone was fit?

Oxley

Lanzoni

Kusunga

Tarkowski

Grounds

Mills (Monty when he goes back)

Wesolowski

Smith

Schmeltz

Rooney

Philliskirk

I would agree with this, but I'd have Monty nowhere near the starting 11.

-----------------------Oxley----------------------

------Kusunga---Tarkowski---Grounds------

-------------Wes---Mellor---Smith--------------

--------------Dayton------Philliskirk------------

--------------Rooney---MacDonald------------

Sick of wingers now, never seem to work.

Pains me to leave out Montano but I don't think he does enough in most games. At least Dayton troubles the keeper at least once a game and I like his movement.

When we're playing a lesser team at home I'd take out Wes and put in Montano though.

-----------------------Oxley----------------------

------Kusunga---Tarkowski---Grounds------

-------------Wes---Mellor---Smith--------------

--------------Dayton------Philliskirk------------

--------------Rooney---MacDonald------------

Sick of wingers now, never seem to work.

Pains me to leave out Montano but I don't think he does enough in most games. At least Dayton troubles the keeper at least once a game and I like his movement.

When we're playing a lesser team at home I'd take out Wes and put in Montano though.

i'm glad you're not the manager, county primary school stuff that.

Rachubka (Oxley is garbage, he's too busy learning his lines as David in Emmerdale, although at least he's getting to bang Alesha)

Lanzoni

Kasunga

Tarky

Grounds

Dayton

Smith

Wes

Mills

Rooney

MacDonald

Really? Lost count how many times he lost it.

Don't get me wrong there is a decent player there somewhere. Just don't think atm he warrants a starting place.

All about opinions but Monty had a very off night. His end product was appalling. Didn't hit a decent cross all night and wasted a free header on goal, unmarked from a corner. I was concerned with the system as, with all the covering he was doing and amid his return from injury, that he just wouldn't have the legs to break forward.

Korey Smith, however, had an absolute stormer in the first half. He picked up everything and stopped Wolves' moves in their tracks. Less successful in the second half as our midfield was over-run.

i'm glad you're not the manager, county primary school stuff that.

Rachubka (Oxley is garbage, he's too busy learning his lines as David in Emmerdale, although at least he's getting to bang Alesha)

Lanzoni

Kasunga

Tarky

Grounds

Dayton

Smith

Wes

Mills

Rooney

MacDonald

Fair enough, but when I look at the team you've shown there isn't enough attacking ability. Brilliant to have 2 strikers and 2 defensive midfielders but where's the link between them? There isn't. I've sacrificed a defender for more attacking play. Also, you've left out arguably our best attacking threat over the past month, Philliskirk.

I'm glad you're not manager...

I don't really rate Philliskirk, i've seen him a few times and I don't get it...

I would say our attacking threat would arrive down the wings, firstly and mainly in fact through Mills, then through Dayton (he'd need instructing of course to get down the bloody wing), get a load of balls in the box and have two poachers in Rooney and Charlie who will put chances from 6 yards away more often than not, then if the opposition nulify that threat, Grounds and Lanzoni should be offering the overlap, this gives us another dimension, and as we'd be attacking in numbers the reassurance of Smith and Wes tracking back, would enable us to have sufficient temporary cover on the counter.

When I watched Smith last season when he first came in on loan, I thought he was quality, and he looked to get forward at every opportunity, everyone was delighted with what they saw, now Johnson has turned him into Furman. Take the shackles from him and he'd be the attacking midfielder we crave.

I'd like to contribute to this thread but I don't know what our best line up for Saturday is let alone our best eleven. It changes on a daily basis as players form comes and goes, niggles and injuries bite and who the opposition are.

A winger like Sid might look a world beater against a team with a high back line and a less than mobile full back, on other days the midfielder may be more willing to help his defender out and limit the space for Sid. Likewise in the middle, some teams may pack the middle of the park and out number us, others not so much which creates space for Smith to get forward more.

Really? Lost count how many times he lost it.

Don't get me wrong there is a decent player there somewhere. Just don't think atm he warrants a starting place.

And I still didn't think he was great. Thought he did well defensively. LJ is wrong to say 6-7 players were magnificent.

And I still didn't think he was great. Thought he did well defensively. LJ is wrong to say 6-7 players were magnificent.

Only magnificent player was Korey Smith last night and probably Grounds up until his :censored: up in the second half.

The strange thing about last night was the players all didn't really play bad at all, just the tactics where wrong so we struggled to get going at all. It wasn't exactly an evening of relentless mistakes.

Edited by Aaron Howarth

Only magnificent player was Korey Smith last night and probably Grounds up until his :censored: up in the second half.

The strange thing about last night was the players all didn't really play bad at all, just the tactics where wrong so we struggled to get going at all. It wasn't exactly an evening of relentless mistakes.

agree with this... we just played bang average - they didn't really trouble us much bar about 5/6 chances! Mainly the set up/team selection didn't stand us a chance to start with

I think our best player so far this season has been Grounds BUT at Centre back, Kusunga really is a centre back too, therefore, let us try 3 at the back, rather than putting bloody Winchester in there. If Lanzoni gets fit he can play right mid, (he really looks good enough to play anywhere) or wingback with Mills on the left, then get 2 bloody wingers on for every home game. Lets not worry about the opposition unless its perhaps Wolves or Peterbro and get SIDNEY on the ball.

Korey should play every game but we only play well when he plays well and that seems to be only 45 minutes every match, so lets change the system to help him and get Wes out of there, he cannot pass, never shoots (OK Preston so it was only once!) and never uses any space he creates.

With either goalie that leaves us with 3 places to fill, so that is where the rotation should come in, Philly, Dayton, Rooney, Mac, Monty, Miller JCH.

For away matches alternate Mellor and Wes to play alongside Korey if we need to fill the centre mid area, but if its 0-0 at half time, change it then, not at 60 minutes!

Sorry obviously Tarky is always in there, have I added up correctly?

As I said in another thread, if we're looking for a formation that the team can settle into and understand easily and can last for a number of games in a row, then it has to be 4-4-2.

We've got the players who can play that system in their natural positions and we can have good balance throughout the team with a few options in different positions if there are injuries.