Best winger  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who is our best winger?

• Montano
    • Schmeltz
    • Dayton
    • Millar

Schmeltz and Monty will offer us direct running

Dayton will start wide and drop in the hole which if done correctly can be as if not more effective. A lot of people like to see the wingers stay wide and I can see why because it can at times make the pitch big. However if your midfield can't get the ball out to them then they are out of the game. Plus it's good to just have a wander inside and start to drag players out of position.

Modern wingers need to be as good going inside as they are going outside. The likes of messi Ronaldo bale Ribery and robben haven't achieved what they have by hugging the touch line alone. Plus if you come off the wing you give the fullback a problem as if you follow him the back 4 loses it's shape.

Without a natural right back who is comfortable going forward at the moment I would give schmeltz a go on the right and Dayton on the left a combination Dayton can come inside and get link with the play. When he does that I'd encourage him to get a few more shots away because I think he hasn't done enough of that. while on the other side I would have Sid who can run at people. I'd also at a certain point in the game ask them to swap flanks and see if they get any joy against the other fullback.

Monty for me, he has the speed of foot to worry defences and can back it up with end product (sometimes).

Dayton would be next, he's cleverer in his play (dropping inside etc) but doesn't give full backs the same worries. In fact I'd hesitate before calling him a winger, he's more of a wide man that will drift inside.

Schmeltz's trickery and pace can keep full backs pinned back, but as has been mentioned his end product needs a little work. I enjoy watching him though.

I really haven't seen enough of Millar as a winger to form an opinion. Is it even his position?

Millar's appearance against Carlisle proved he is the best crosser of the ball of all our wide men. I was really impressed with him and feel he should be given an extended run in the side.

If Sid and Monty could deliver a similar ball into the box they'd probably be good enough for the championship!

I think which wingers we use should depend on the game and the other players we have around them

Their is a case away from home for putting an extra man in the middle and playing Sid and Monty and using them to hit teams on the break.

With the full back we have on the right we currently have kusungu who is a cb filling in so when he gets the ball he looks to give it to the winger he won't get forward and overlap him. So having an out an out winger might be best on that side. On the left we have mills who is an overlapping full back and the best crosser of the ball at the club. So having a wide man who comes in and drags the full back with him leaving space for mills to attack mwould be the best option.

The big problem last season was we had a midfield 2 who just stayed in the centre and wingers who stayed wide as a result we didn't give teams enough to think about we were to easy to defend against.

Millar's appearance against Carlisle proved he is the best crosser of the ball of all our wide men. I was really impressed with him and feel he should be given an extended run in the side.

If Sid and Monty could deliver a similar ball into the box they'd probably be good enough for the championship!

in fairness I think some of the blame has to lie with the forwards. Sid played against someone earlier in the season put 3 good balls into the box and no one was on the end of it. Is that a poor cross? or poor forward play?

Millar did put in two great balls and they weren't converted...