Should a manager criticise home support?

Matt Chambers, in the rarely-wrong Chron, referred to Saturday’s attendance number as “disappointing”, and we all know how poor the atmosphere is at BP these days.

Elsewhere, there was criticism of a lack of home support, with quotes like:

“We played in a difficult atmosphere with almost no support. We have a wonderful set of fans but they can do better. We don't need the negativity of today. Away from home their support has been amazing; we play with no fear …. We didn't have the support we should have done. There was much anxiety from the stands, the players had to do it alone. We spoke about it at half-time. I told the players that we would have to do it on our own. “

That was AVB, the Spurs manager. Was he right to criticise his team’s supporters?

Matt Chambers, in the rarely-wrong Chron, referred to Saturday’s attendance number as “disappointing”, and we all know how poor the atmosphere is at BP these days.

Elsewhere, there was criticism of a lack of home support, with quotes like:

“We played in a difficult atmosphere with almost no support. We have a wonderful set of fans but they can do better. We don't need the negativity of today. Away from home their support has been amazing; we play with no fear …. We didn't have the support we should have done. There was much anxiety from the stands, the players had to do it alone. We spoke about it at half-time. I told the players that we would have to do it on our own. “

That was AVB, the Spurs manager. Was he right to criticise his team’s supporters?

Couldn't give a :censored: about AVB and Spurs but Johnson didn't exactly criticise the home support, did he? He expressed his disappointment that weren't more there on Saturday, when the gate was down a fair bit on recent fixtures. As for the atmosphere, he' not wrong, is he? Aside from the FA cup games last season, where the ground was full and the atmosphere was great, it's been crap for ages. Dwindling support, a three sided-ground and home fans spread across the three remaining stands all play their part, as does the fact we've been total :censored: (particularly at home) for the last few years.

Couldn't give a :censored: about AVB and Spurs but Johnson didn't exactly criticise the home support, did he? He expressed his disappointment that weren't more there on Saturday, when the gate was down a fair bit on recent fixtures. As for the atmosphere, he' not wrong, is he? Aside from the FA cup games last season, where the ground was full and the atmosphere was great, it's been crap for ages. Dwindling support, a three sided-ground and home fans spread across the three remaining stands all play their part, as does the fact we've been total :censored: (particularly at home) for the last few years.

Stevie, Matt Chambers expressed his disappointment at the attendance - nothing to do with LJ.

AVB may have a point, but I'm not sure I agree with how he said it. Could have said "things were tough, its important we all stick together. The fans away from home always get behind us, its important we do it at home as the players always repond and want to win for them" - just leave it at that.

Matt Chambers, what does he expect? A team 3rd the way up the league. 2 home games in a week - punctuated by a performance away from home, which fans at the game were not impressed with. I wasn't at Wolves so I wont comment on it further other than to say: the match reports from fans were hardly going to get people to the swindon game. Swindon is hardly an attractive fixture either. We play them often enough.

Congregate and concentrate, it's not :censored:ing rocket science. Less of you there are means you have to stick together, 20-odd balloons in the RRE and 30-odd droners in the Chaddy isn't really going to bother anyone. It's up to the fans isn't it, and many on here have been going on about this for years - and some of those have now beggared off.

Personally I wouldnt mind if LJ did criticise our home support, maybe not the numbers but certainly the noise. I can understand though why he doesnt. Bit cringeworthy though when hes on the radio saying things about our home support like 'the fans will be here in numbers, like they always are.'

I know it is a big pArt of our culture to snipe and moan but having recently moved to Japan I went to watch a random game from their second tier. The whole crowd was really positive and I did get the impression of a much greater mutual respect between fans and players. I was a bit sad that we can't do the same.

It was just a small crowd in a totAlly open stadium but the fans were fantastic and noisy throughout, home and away. The sad thing is despite all of that I know on our day we can create a much better atmosphere, I just wish that day was more often!

I guess English crowds are some of the hardest to please, you really have to earn that vocal support. I can however see why avb may criticise the home support in England

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

Our home 'support' is appalling to be honest. The moans and groans completely outnumber positivity, mainly due to there being absolutely no atmosphere anymore other than a couple of Come on Oldham's when we get a corner or have sustained pressure on the opposition. I understand that there is a particular culture of English fans that isn't that of European supporters' continuous singing win, lose or draw in a dour or exciting match, but there should be an element of atmosphere and continued support at least. What really frustrates me is the strict sit-down policy in the home end next to the barrier in the RRE. This is where the potential atmosphere is but it's completely nullified by the stewards repeatedly ejecting those who attempt to inject some sort of vibrancy in the home end. Like many other supporters who sit in the RRE I too find some of the young lads chants a little embarrassing at times, 'Johnson give us a wave' and the like is a bit cringe-worthy in my opinion but I'd rather that than the silence we currently experience. I'd like to think that the new stand will improve the atmosphere but there's little to encourage that thought.

If Johnson criticised our home crowd I wouldn't give a :censored: because I know he'd be spot on. In fact, I'd relish him commenting on it, maybe that would give the club a kick up the arse it needs to allow supporters to be louder, and the fans the encouragement that an atmosphere is wanted.

Edited by Mullet

I know it is a big pArt of our culture to snipe and moan but having recently moved to Japan I went to watch a random game from their second tier. The whole crowd was really positive and I did get the impression of a much greater mutual respect between fans and players. I was a bit sad that we can't do the same.

It was just a small crowd in a totAlly open stadium but the fans were fantastic and noisy throughout, home and away. The sad thing is despite all of that I know on our day we can create a much better atmosphere, I just wish that day was more often!

I guess English crowds are some of the hardest to please, you really have to earn that vocal support. I can however see why avb may criticise the home support in England

Cheesey coordinated rubbish. Give me a good BLOODY ELL EARDLEY BOOOO any day.

In the M.E.N., as part of his case in support of safe standing, LJ says “The atmosphere here can be good when they get going but it’s nothing like what we get from our fans when we go to away games. You have to look at why that is. Obviously it’s an event going away and you can have a few cans on the coach but the fans are all together. Even there they get told to sit and I know a lot of them would prefer to stand.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-manager-lee-johnson-wants-6280711#.UntvTxW-dA8.twitter

I know it is a big pArt of our culture to snipe and moan but having recently moved to Japan I went to watch a random game from their second tier. The whole crowd was really positive and I did get the impression of a much greater mutual respect between fans and players. I was a bit sad that we can't do the same....I guess English crowds are some of the hardest to please, you really have to earn that vocal support. I can however see why avb may criticise the home support in England

Generalisation. You haven't been to the right English clubs, granted they may be few and far between. I went to a 3-1 home defeat the other week and the home teams' supporters sang all the way through the game and about 10 minutes after the final whistle, little more that 1500 fans. Superb atmosphere...