Michael Oliver

I remember reading before the away game Graham Poll amongst many others going on about how our equaliser shouldn't have stood, thinking that this is creating a lot of pressure on the ref to not get anything wrong for Everton.

Same here. Moyes did his best to manufacture that, too.

Rumour is that those mind-games made Fergie think he was the man to be his successor.

He did an embarrassing interview with 5live after the game, which I listened to on the drive home. He was ranting about how it should have been disallowed but wouldn't commit as to why; I think he ended up saying that, whilst he conceded that Bouzanis hadn't touched the ball, his waving his arms in the air had amounted to intent to handball and so it should have been ruled out. :censored:ing idiot.

Saying that, his rant served it's purpose when Prem-sympothiser ref, Oliver, took 'control' of the replay.

He did an embarrassing interview with 5live after the game, which I listened to on the drive home. He was ranting about how it should have been disallowed but wouldn't commit as to why; I think he ended up saying that, whilst he conceded that Bouzanis hadn't touched the ball, his waving his arms in the air had amounted to intent to handball and so it should have been ruled out. :censored:ing idiot.

Saying that, his rant served it's purpose when Prem-sympothiser ref, Oliver, took 'control' of the replay.

Yeah I know the interview, he made himself look very silly over it, but like you say job done for the replay as far as he was concerned.

I see Steve bruce has been charged with misconduct by the FA over that incident.

All he needs to do is get the footage of the one that incompetent/corrupt (delete as approapriate) little prick Oliver didn't give us against Everton on his iPad. Cast iron proof that Oliver is actually a weapons grade :censored:tard.

If I was Bruce I would tell the FA to stick their charge up their arse and refuse to pay any forthcoming fine.

Failing that I'd kidnap Oliver and cut his :censored:ing eyes out.

Note to self - don't post while :censored:ing livid about something entirely unrelated.

Edited by garcon

Bruce only said it was a joke decision. He was right, Oliver was wrong, yet Bruce is the one who has to explain himself by November 4th Why doesn't Oliver have to explain himself,and face a fine. The least he could do is hold his hands up and apologise, admitting he was wrong. It's all wrong, and nobody respects these incompetent referees or the ridiculous FA

Bruce only said it was a joke decision. He was right, Oliver was wrong, yet Bruce is the one who has to explain himself by November 4th Why doesn't Oliver have to explain himself,and face a fine. The least he could do is hold his hands up and apologise, admitting he was wrong. It's all wrong, and nobody respects these incompetent referees or the ridiculous FA

Bruce also added: "I shouldn't say this and I might get fined, but would we have got it? I'm not so sure." thereby questioning the integrity of the referee - that is why he is in the dock. He knew what was coming...still does not make the decision any more correct though...

Edited by TheBigDog

Bruce also added: "I shouldn't say this and I might get fined, but would we have got it? I'm not so sure." thereby questioning the integrity of the referee - that is why he is in the dock. He knew what was coming...still does not make the decision any more correct though...

Exactly right. He's correct though. You can apply the same to us and Everton - he had no qualms about awarding them a penalty after denying us one of the most stonewall pens you're ever likely to see.

• 2 months later...

Is it just me that is a bit sceptical when Prem refs are in charge of a cup tie involving a PL club versus a lower-league club.

Not to suggest outright bias or brown paper envelopes etc but surely - and at least subconsciously - surely it's in the ref's interests to keep sweet with the PL side.

They shouldn't be, but refs must be influenced when teams are playing the big guns and their outspoken managers. Along with the crowds, that could contribute to the big clubs seemingly always getting decisions etc Adrian Durham made this argument about the Special One and the subconscious dissuasion from invoking his frequent dramatic wrath.

Back to us, Dowd did a good job at BP and correctly allowed Smith's goal. The only thing close to a foul was Croft backing into Howard, but Howard's theatrical cry and inability to even bother to jump outweighed this - refreshingly, the goalkeeper feeling a feather and asking for a free-kick didn't work. Sadly for the game as a viewing spectacle, I bet 9 out of 10 PL refs would have disallowed it.

But as a result of that goal, he got stick from Moyes, stick from pissed off Everton fans, stick from the ref's union. Performance only remembered for the goal.

Michael Oliver's performance included the convenient non-penalty/penalty favouritism that happened to go the side of the PL team and the home team in a noisy crowd, but worse was his constant whistle-blowing for every slight contact - notably, any that involved our players making a challenge.

He completely ruined the game as a viewing spectacle, and as a cup tie, and in effect made it a non-contact training exercise that inevitably favoured the PL team.

Yet I expect he got a pat on the back for a good performance 'to the book' by the ref's union...

And there was little talk about Oliver after the game that ppl would listen to - as it was criticism from us, rather than a PL manager and club's fans...

So he was left to continue his climb up the ladder and, guess what, is now often doing PL games - despite some atrocious decisions in big games last season. He was so lucky Leicester missed their 'penalty' and Watford took the headlines by going up the other end...

Also our last trip to Anfield. Remember how soft their penalty was. Imagine the reaction if we had been given that penalty and drawn or won the game...

Easier to give at one end.....

Is it just me that is a bit sceptical when Prem refs are in charge of a cup tie involving a PL club versus a lower-league club.

Not to suggest outright bias or brown paper envelopes etc but surely - and at least subconsciously - surely it's in the ref's interests to keep sweet with the PL side.

They shouldn't be, but refs must be influenced when teams are playing the big guns and their outspoken managers. Along with the crowds, that could contribute to the big clubs seemingly always getting decisions etc Adrian Durham made this argument about the Special One and the subconscious dissuasion from invoking his frequent dramatic wrath.

Back to us, Dowd did a good job at BP and correctly allowed Smith's goal. The only thing close to a foul was Croft backing into Howard, but Howard's theatrical cry and inability to even bother to jump outweighed this - refreshingly, the goalkeeper feeling a feather and asking for a free-kick didn't work. Sadly for the game as a viewing spectacle, I bet 9 out of 10 PL refs would have disallowed it.

But as a result of that goal, he got stick from Moyes, stick from pissed off Everton fans, stick from the ref's union. Performance only remembered for the goal.

Michael Oliver's performance included the convenient non-penalty/penalty favouritism that happened to go the side of the PL team and the home team in a noisy crowd, but worse was his constant whistle-blowing for every slight contact - notably, any that involved our players making a challenge.

He completely ruined the game as a viewing spectacle, and as a cup tie, and in effect made it a non-contact training exercise that inevitably favoured the PL team.

Yet I expect he got a pat on the back for a good performance 'to the book' by the ref's union...

And there was little talk about Oliver after the game that ppl would listen to - as it was criticism from us, rather than a PL manager and club's fans...

So he was left to continue his climb up the ladder and, guess what, is now often doing PL games - despite some atrocious decisions in big games last season. He was so lucky Leicester missed their 'penalty' and Watford took the headlines by going up the other end...

Also our last trip to Anfield. Remember how soft their penalty was. Imagine the reaction if we had been given that penalty and drawn or won the game...

Easier to give at one end.....

Agreed.