Squad for next year

I must admit that I did have high hopes for this season under LJ but a few are saying on the ezine board that we will have to start all over again for next season with building a new squad!

Am I correct in thinking that we will have Lanzoni, Kasunga and Korey Smith plus all of the forwards, JCH, McDonald, Rooney, Sidney, Dayton and Philliskirk for next year or on contracts that could easily be renewed? Mills is a good player whom I reckon we could/should get

The only ones I can see that we might have problems with are Brown, Grounds, Tarky, Montano and Wes!

This is why I believe LJ is giving some game time to Mellor, Millar and Winchester to see if they are going to make the grade

I must admit that I did have high hopes for this season under LJ but a few are saying on the ezine board that we will have to start all over again for next season with building a new squad!

Am I correct in thinking that we will have Lanzoni, Kasunga and Korey Smith plus all of the forwards, JCH, McDonald, Rooney, Sidney, Dayton and Philliskirk for next year or on contracts that could easily be renewed? Mills is a good player whom I reckon we could/should get

The only ones I can see that we might have problems with are Brown, Grounds, Tarky, Montano and Wes!

This is why I believe LJ is giving some game time to Mellor, Millar and Winchester to see if they are going to make the grade

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/42409-squad-movements-summer-2013/

That'll tell you those contracted for beyond end of the season

Edited by RobOAFC

Thank you Rob, that is very useful. I think that LJ realises that it is equally important to plan for the future as it is to get results now!

Hence he has been giving game time to Millar, Mellor and Winchester plus probably a few others to come. We will be OK this season.

By the way Fervid my parents brought me up to realise that if one has nothing constructive to say then one shuts one's gob.

As for tarky going in the January window . I don't think we have to sell ourselves short . Baxter was sold because he wasn't pivotal to ljs plans whereas tarky coupled with k.smith are the key to our fortunes . 20 years old playing his best football yet with 20 months on his contract to run we're in a healthy position when it comes to the new moston beckenbauer .

Aye. The worst top goalscorer we've ever had.

Rooney doesn't half get some grief on here does he?

Granted he isn't banging 2 or 3 in per game, Nor is he helping himself to assists galore.

But i guess it comes down to expectations?

I expected him to be like he is. I remember him playing against us last season, and checked out his career record.

He is what he is - a decent League One striker who is, on current record, on course for a decent goal return from his 1st season with us.

Those expecting something else were, well, clearly thinking of the other Rooney.

Expectations. I'm happy he's here till 2015; possiby beyond.

It'll be a change to see a team developed and worked with, instead of wholsale changes every pre-season...

Granted he isn't banging 2 or 3 in per game, Nor is he helping himself to assists galore.

I expected him to be like he is. I remember him playing against us last season, and checked out his career record.

He is what he is - a decent League One striker who is, on current record, on course for a decent goal return from his 1st season with us.

Those expecting something else were, well, clearly thinking of the other Rooney.

It'll be a change to see a team developed and worked with, instead of wholsale changes every pre-season...

He was probably overrated due to the hysteria of us beginning a season with strikers being compared with Dan Taylor, Jordan Slew and old-Matt Smith...

He's averaged about 1 in 3 in his career. Every time he's scored for us it's had him averaging about 1 in 3 and will again if he scores in the next game.

Maybe he needs to run around a bit more like Paul Warne did.

Edited by HarryBosch

He was probably overrated due to the hysteria of us beginning a season with strikers being compared with Dan Taylor, Jordan Slew and old-Matt Smith...

Was he over rated though?

Most of us were happy that we'd signed a decent league one striker who the old Swindon owners thought was worth £8k a week.

And he is a decent league one striker.

He's probably our highest earner or at least up there . I imagine Lj stretched the budget as far as he could to bring in a new 'number 9' and he saw the best value for money in rooney on a free transfer. in an ideal world we'd have a leon clarke but the world aint ideal and we haven't got a big budget . 5 goals at the beginning of November is :censored: hot for a latics striker anyway .