Squad for next year

One problem, in my eyes, with the squad this season is we seem to have loads of mainly average right backs, left wingers and right wingers - Brown, Lanzoni, Winchester, Kusunga, Montano, Schmeltz, Dayton, Millar, Philliskirk.

Yet we're short at left back and have to keep chopping and changing the defence and we're light on numbers and quality in central midfield.

I think he could've got more quality in albeit with a smaller squad.

Was he over rated though?

Most of us were happy that we'd signed a decent league one striker who the old Swindon owners thought was worth £8k a week.

And he is a decent league one striker.

He's a decent league one striker, but I'll admit I expected a bit more from him. I'd say he's being used slightly wrong - he should be playing further up the pitch as I thought he was a poacher. He needs to get involved in the game more, too often he drifts in and out of the action which shouldn't happen as a number 9.

He's a decent league one striker, but I'll admit I expected a bit more from him. I'd say he's being used slightly wrong - he should be playing further up the pitch as I thought he was a poacher. He needs to get involved in the game more, too often he drifts in and out of the action which shouldn't happen as a number 9.

The problem is to me he just doesn't look sharp enough, if he can find that quality he would be a decent league one striker, but at the moment IMO he leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by BP1960

It'll be a change to see a team developed and worked with, instead of wholsale changes every pre-season...

I think this might be when I really get the Latics bug back. I've missed so much this season and to be fair haven't been too arsed. The main reason being sick of the revolving door each summer.

One problem, in my eyes, with the squad this season is we seem to have loads of mainly average right backs, left wingers and right wingers - Brown, Lanzoni, Winchester, Kusunga, Montano, Schmeltz, Dayton, Millar, Philliskirk.

Yet we're short at left back and have to keep chopping and changing the defence and we're light on numbers and quality in central midfield.

I think he could've got more quality in albeit with a smaller squad.

Are all class players at this level, in my opinion.

Surprised by the high praise for Lanzoni. Whenever I've seen him he's looked to be ungainly on the ball and slow, though he adds much needed height and strength to the team. I see him as a M'voto type player; poor with his feet but a good football brain to compensate for that. If he plays at JYM's level for the season then he'd be a great find but I'm hesitant in rating him as 'class' at this early stage.

Surprised by the high praise for Lanzoni. Whenever I've seen him he's looked to be ungainly on the ball and slow, though he adds much needed height and strength to the team. I see him as a M'voto type player; poor with his feet but a good football brain to compensate for that. If he plays at JYM's level for the season then he'd be a great find but I'm hesitant in rating him as 'class' at this early stage.

He's not afraid to get stuck in, something which can't be said for a lot of our players. It's a game of opinions and I, personally, am a big fan.

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

I don't think you can make such a judgement until you have seen him play in his best position - which is centre back. I've seen him play there and he struck me as class.

If Tarkowski goes in January he is the natural replacement.

I don't think you can make such a judgement until you have seen him play in his best position - which is centre back. I've seen him play there and he struck me as class.

If Tarkowski goes in January he is the natural replacement.

Isn't Lanzoni only contracted till January, could be a Belezika/ Joksts partnership in the new year

Isn't Lanzoni only contracted till January, could be a Belezika/ Joksts partnership in the new year

Apart from Kusunga will be here & Cliff would of returned by then (Unless he secures a perm move to Scunthorpe), along with Grounds being able to play there aswell...

Apart from Kusunga will be here & Cliff would of returned by then (Unless he secures a perm move to Scunthorpe), along with Grounds being able to play there aswell...

I forgot to put the smiley at the end of my post, I fear we could be in trouble if my original post is correct.

I think that Lanzoni looks absolute class, probably better at centre back but a natural footballer

Rooney doesn't half get some grief on here does he?

Granted he isn't banging 2 or 3 in per game, Nor is he helping himself to assists galore.

But i guess it comes down to expectations?

I expected him to be like he is. I remember him playing against us last season, and checked out his career record.

He is what he is - a decent League One striker who is, on current record, on course for a decent goal return from his 1st season with us.

Those expecting something else were, well, clearly thinking of the other Rooney.

Expectations. I'm happy he's here till 2015; possiby beyond.

It'll be a change to see a team developed and worked with, instead of wholsale changes every pre-season...

Stop talking sense.