Winchester....what is he?

Posted · Hidden by Zorrro, December 15, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Zorrro, December 15, 2013 - No reason given

OAFC33 you need to pipe down you dickhead, pointless comment that

Pointless comment? The fact that I stated he's a 20 year old with little first team experience to the fact that someone was throwing around match fixing accusations at a time like this?

Pointless comment? The fact that I stated he's a 20 year old with little first team experience to the fact that someone was throwing around match fixing accusations at a time like this?

Two things here in my opening post:

Firstly I was honest and open and embarrassed for thinking about match fixing. I didn't explain properly in the first place but I am watching football now with a more cynical eye.

Secondly, I don't think Winchester is good enough. He needs to move on because he is 4th choice CM and RB at best. I agree with others that he needs to get more games but he won't get that at Oldham.

I tell you what he is he is a young man trying to make his way in the game. I thought he played quite well yesterday and he needs more game time in the first team.then we can assess how good he is I happen to think that he will make it given a chance.

I thought he did enough yesterday to justify a start v Mansfield. I'd like to see him get an extended run in the side, he's clearly a talented player and he's not scared of taking on defenders. Any player can make an error of judgement and choose the wrong option.

I thought Winchester did OK, too. He's obviously not a winger; he doesn't have the pace or the trickery needed but he's a dogged player. I'll forget about the 4 on 1; he simply had a rush of blood and didn't look for any options. That's inexperience and lack of first team football. He gave a couple of passes away when it seemed easier to find a blue shirt but he wasn't rubbish.

When LJ took him off for Sidney, I didn't think it was a bad move at the time as I thought LJ was looking for a bit of pace to take the full back on and get crosses in. When Sidney is firing, he can be a nightmare for full backs. Trouble is, even Sid doesn't know what he's going to do sometimes he's that unpredictable.

I think Winchester is more a CM, but he's not going to get a game there in front of Wes and Korey; and maybe not in front of Rodgers either. So that leaves him as a RB, IMHO, so he's scrapping for a place wherever he plays. Maybe after yesterday, he has another go at RM and see if he can cement a place. We're a winger short with he who cannot be mentioned being on unpaid "gardening leave", so maybe, just maybe he's the answer. Just not the long term solution.

I'd be very sorely tempted to start Winchester at RB on Tuesday. As I'd think it would give their LW, who impressed me in the first game, something to think about defensively, and I don't think their LW will be all that good defensively.

However, their LW is their top scorer this season, and it was fairly obvious why during the first game, as he looked very dangerous aerially in our box in the first game. Plus, the 4 or 5 inches of height advantage he has over Winchester gives them an easy out ball too.

For me Winchester is a very good right-sided utility player, and with the financial constraints, utility players can be very valuable squad members, but that means he spends a lot of time on the bench, as he can cover a lot of positions. However, like many others, I feel his development will be helped by a loan spell so he can play in a number of consecutive games.

Winchester can start on either wing for me. He will do the defensive job and he can spring a trick in attack. I'm not sure what I am missing or what others are seeing not to be up for that. Our wing delivery has been :censored:e and he has better in either foot for starters

The fact that most of you come on here comment about players etc. and have not been to the game ! You come on here and voice your toothless opinions. How can you say winchester is garbage WHEN YOU WERE NOT EVEN THERE. I for one was there and thought he changed the game. Start a topic when you actually no the facts.

Now you are talking nonsense!!!

Reading back over this post, I am clearly in a minority (of possibly one) in thinking that Winchester is garbage but to say that other posters didn't attend the game is laughable.

And then I noticed this is your first post!!!!

Winchester can start on either wing for me. He will do the defensive job and he can spring a trick in attack. I'm not sure what I am missing or what others are seeing not to be up for that. Our wing delivery has been :censored:e and he has better in either foot for starters

Agree with this. Right midfield looks made for him in this squad

Edited by HarryBosch

The fact that most of you come on here comment about players etc. and have not been to the game ! You come on here and voice your toothless opinions. How can you say winchester is garbage WHEN YOU WERE NOT EVEN THERE. I for one was there and thought he changed the game. Start a topic when you actually no the facts.

Are those of us who rate him but weren't there either allowed to comment?

Edited by HarryBosch

I very much doubt he just said he couldn't be arsed surely they would sack him if that really was the case?

Ofcourse he didnt just openly say it as my post said, lj brought mellor off due to the fact that he "couldn't run" in which he said it wasn't a physical issue (ruling out an injury) but a mental one, which to me says its as if he couldnt be arsed and wasn't doing any running

Fans moan when we bring loan signings in because we aren't using our current youth players and then we get topics saying the youth players aren't good enough for the first-team!

Players such as Winchester and Mellor need to get out on loan to a club in a lower division and get some games in and hopefully improve there. Mellor is a MC but he's got plenty ahead of him in the queue at the moment.

Need to get these players out on loan in January. We have plenty of options not to miss these players in the short-term.