Stewards and the lad who got thrown out of the RRE

Rightly or wrongly (probably wrongly) he had a problem with them and was abusing them as he was dragged out by the Police.

Why did they have to walk all the way out with him right in his face & let him continue mouthing off at them when the police clearly had it under control?

Confrontational trouble causers as ever.

Does anyone know the real reason for the searches today? I was told (when I questioned it after 20 years of no searches) that someone snuggled a bottle of wine into the last home game? Seems a bit daft

Could be to do with the increased use of pyrotechnics in grounds, doubt it's because of a bottle of wine.

One of our party spoke to the stewards who were trying to throw the chap out near the Shrewsbury fans side.

Stewards thought he was an away fan and were trying to shift him then, but a member of our party knew him has said he was a home fan, of which they let him go.

He was a little worse of wear, but no more than any others I have seen on match days. By time he got over to the other side of the pegs, lower down the rows, the police were already on the way to shift him and then he got a bit heated.

My issue is with all this body frisky today, surely he would have been spotted and should have refused him entry, but to take his money and chuck him out without, I'd say a chance was a bit much.

Edited by underdog

Could be to do with the increased use of pyrotechnics in grounds, doubt it's because of a bottle of wine.

If someone smuggled a bottle of wine in previously I think that is a likely and reasonable reason behind the searches. As wine is both alcohol (for consumption within sight of the pitch and for commercial reasons) and it's a glass bottle which is easily turned into a nasty weapon. However a bottle of wine doesn't strike me as being a likely source for illicit booze consumption at football.

I did read on twitter that someone had their bottle of pop confiscated, which is more than a bit OTT

Not saying it's untrue but it seems bizarre they would search random people because somebody brought a bottle of wine in!

This is what I said to said steward... He shrugged as he groped my inside leg... If he found anything near a wine bottle in there I'd be well impressed :)

Edited by JWhite101

He was pissed up in the White Hart mothing off and singing even when told to calm down. I get that the lad may have been provoked a bit by the stewards, but raising your hands to them is just daft and really is asking for trouble. Could do without daft 'eds like that.

He was pissed up in the White Hart mothing off and singing even when told to calm down. I get that the lad may have been provoked a bit by the stewards, but raising your hands to them is just daft and really is asking for trouble. Could do without daft 'eds like that.

Absolutely but, the stewards seemed intent on making it worse.

He'd done whatever he'd done and was being taken out by two coppers.

I can only guess they were still sticking their oar in hoping he'd throw a punch and get himself in bigger trouble.

Does the club really want them to try and turn disorder arrests into assaults?

I don't think the club wanted an arrest statistic against us hence why the stewards were left to deal with it so long.

I'm not sure if the guy was that far gone that he would have picked a fight with God on the day. The stewards as far as I know aren't paid or if so not much. They shouldn't have to deal with stuff like that. On the other hand the guy shouldn't have been let in in the first place.

Absolutely but, the stewards seemed intent on making it worse.

He'd done whatever he'd done and was being taken out by two coppers.

I can only guess they were still sticking their oar in hoping he'd throw a punch and get himself in bigger trouble.

Does the club really want them to try and turn disorder arrests into assaults?

I don't know what they've done to you in the past but that's two massively wild and speculative posts about their intent - to which you have absolutely no insight...?