The future's bright...?

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'll start off by saying that I'm supportive of Lee Johnson and I believe he should be given at least through to the end of next season (providing we are still in League One) before his position comes under question. That said, I'm supportive but, thus far, unconvinced.

There's no question that Johnson is a charming young feller, who is very able to say the sorts of things that impress but we've been there and done that with Paul Dickov. Of course, things turned sour with Dickov, not least because he was left in post far too long when it was clear he was severely lacking as a manager. Dickov’s talk became tiresome, when results didn’t materialise and the same will apply to Johnson if he cannot improve the club’s current run of form, which sees them having won only one in nine in the league – by a single goal against the side sitting bottom of the division.

Much has been made of the fact that Johnson is building for the future and that fans should be looking beyond this season for the fruits of his labour to materialise. However, Johnson’s most important objective must be to keep Latics in League One come the end of the season. Latics’ record in the league this season is eerily similar to that under Dickov at the same point last season. Only a significant upturn in form following Johnson’s arrival saw Latics survive last time around by a fairly meagre three-point margin. Johnson’s men may well have to produce an improvement akin to that one if they are to avoid slipping into League Two this time.

I don’t doubt that much of Johnson’s planning is relatively long-term. This is as it should be; whilst the managerial merry-go-round may suggest otherwise, managers are not generally appointed with a view to replacing them a year or so later. A long-term plan is the only way Latics will enjoy any kind of progress – slow and steady – since the funds are not available to trigger a sudden turnaround of fortunes.

However, such long-termism needs to tempered in light of the primary objective of maintaining the club’s League One status. Relegation would unravel any longer-term plans in any case.

Again, I think it is clear that Johnson has some appreciation of this fact. I suspect the very recently departed Adam Rooney would have been allowed more time to prove himself, had the club not found itself part of the relegation pack at this point in the season. The urgency of this battle means that Johnson needs goals now and, presumably, Rooney’s departure opens up the possibility of bringing in a replacement who may be able to end the goal drought and fire Latics towards safety.

Rooney is the second player signed by Johnson on a two-year deal to head out of Boundary Park this month, following Sidney Schmeltz’s loan move to Shrewsbury. Johnson was so open in his criticism of the Dutchman – attributing eight goals conceded to him – that it’s difficult to imagine he’ll play for Latics in the future, even after the end of his loan deal.

On the one hand, it is pleasing that Johnson has the courage to admit when his signings haven’t worked out – one criticism levelled at Dickov was that he persevered with out-of-form players. But it’s pretty safe to say the short-term plan isn’t quite working out as hoped, and the exit of two of the players that Johnson was willing to risk two-year deals on at the beginning of the season raises the question, in my mind at least, as to how well the longer-term plan is working out.

I think LJ 2 year plans was -

year one - build the nucleus of a side , finish half way in league one and a wembley appearance in the JPT ,

The money from that would help buy the missing pieces of the jigsaw for an assault on promotion in year 2.

That's still going to plan in my mind, the JPT upset to our bogey side has been somewhat offset with another Anfield visit.

Players will come and go , even the great Sir Alex brought some crap and some that didn't work out.

At the start of the season we ALL thought Rooney was a good signing.

Things haven't worked out so ,ok move on.

LJ has done this as soon as was possible , hopefully the wage will be used to bring somebody in that will prove a goalscorer.

Comparisons have been made with PD but we would still have Syd the snake and Rooney if it was PD so at least LJ is prepared to get rid and start again.

I am happy with how thing are going and will judge LJ over the 2 year period.

Some fans have to get real , it's the only way a club the size of latics will progress, some live in cloud cockoo land when they think we should be out signing the championship players etc , we are a league one club , with league two gates and a league 2 budget.

Lets give Latics and LJ all the support we can and hope his 2 year plan works out ,

The alternative is another manager to start all over again (which we can't afford) and probably end up in league 2 anyway.

Carry on LJ .

I think LJ 2 year plans was -

year one - build the nucleus of a side , finish half way in league one and a wembley appearance in the JPT ,

The money from that would help buy the missing pieces of the jigsaw for an assault on promotion in year 2.

That's still going to plan in my mind, the JPT upset to our bogey side has been somewhat offset with another Anfield visit.

Players will come and go , even the great Sir Alex brought some crap and some that didn't work out.

At the start of the season we ALL thought Rooney was a good signing.

Things haven't worked out so ,ok move on.

LJ has done this as soon as was possible , hopefully the wage will be used to bring somebody in that will prove a goalscorer.

Comparisons have been made with PD but we would still have Syd the snake and Rooney if it was PD so at least LJ is prepared to get rid and start again.

I am happy with how thing are going and will judge LJ over the 2 year period.

Some fans have to get real , it's the only way a club the size of latics will progress, some live in cloud cockoo land when they think we should be out signing the championship players etc , we are a league one club , with league two gates and a league 2 budget.

Lets give Latics and LJ all the support we can and hope his 2 year plan works out ,

The alternative is another manager to start all over again (which we can't afford) and probably end up in league 2 anyway.

Carry on LJ .

Johnson's only 'plan' is the same as most other managers at this level, to do enough to stay in his job and/or have enough success to get a better one.