IT AINT OVER YET

Why am I dick? What's with the acting all smug & delighted about a 1 month loan striker who has a career average of worse than 1 in 4? Acting like it's signing of the century! It's embarrassing!

Just like the overreaction to Saturday's win & still banging on about it during the Wolves game, embarrassing!

Have we all forgot that today we've let our best player go to Brentford, yes that's right, Brentford, no doubt for absolute peanuts again!

Where did he act smug? Stated facts. That's your interpretation.

1 in 4 in leagues higher than ours

Where on earth do you get signing of the century from. Its all in your head.

Brentford, have had significant investment,

Judge what you see not what you perceive.

You don't have the faintest idea what the fee for Tarky was, so why get so worked up about something you know nothing about?

I am astounded at your post.

Who do you think we should have signed with a better record, at a better age, with little or no fee involved, who'd be willing to join a 16th placed team in Division Three?

Mr McGoo you need to get some perspective. Brentford are top and going up-we are 16th and skint.

You might think Tarky was our best player-not everyone does. As for the fee, well you only get what someone wants to pay and if your answer is he was under contract that means nowt, if he wants to go so be it get what we can for him.

How is it smug telling us to look at the official site?

like this... :OASISscarf:

am quite pleased with the activity really. disappointed with how much we get for tarky even tho i dont know how much it is - but think stead has got to be better than what we have currently. we're playin good stuff makin chances just not got a fox in the box - lets hope stead is just that - and he's a biggun! as for the non-league lads - lj has been watchin these for a while so he must have sin somet. agree with previous comment about wezza - he is our heartbeat and i'd be gutted if he went. lockwood looked good when he come on so and we got another ch in so fingers crossed we gonna be ok

Why am I dick? What's with the acting all smug & delighted about a 1 month loan striker who has a career average of worse than 1 in 4? Acting like it's signing of the century! It's embarrassing!

Just like the overreaction to Saturday's win & still banging on about it during the Wolves game, embarrassing!

Have we all forgot that today we've let our best player go to Brentford, yes that's right, Brentford, no doubt for absolute peanuts again!

Let's remember that our "best player" also wanted to go... This place has :censored:ed me right off today much more than being 3-0 at half time last week it's a :censored:ing joke!!!

Yeah... So if he didn't want to go he didn't have to... And yes I know we did, I was there. That's why I said I was :censored:ed off at half time

If a club accepts an offer, they are basically telling the player that they would rather have the money than the player. So when does a player ever say "nah, I don't want to go"?

am quite pleased with the activity really. disappointed with how much we get for tarky even tho i dont know how much it is - but think stead has got to be better than what we have currently. we're playin good stuff makin chances just not got a fox in the box - lets hope stead is just that - and he's a biggun! as for the non-league lads - lj has been watchin these for a while so he must have sin somet. agree with previous comment about wezza - he is our heartbeat and i'd be gutted if he went. lockwood looked good when he come on so and we got another ch in so fingers crossed we gonna be ok

After his half hour cameo today, I wouldn't see him as a 'fox in the box' but he held up the ball very well, or moved it on well and generally kept us posession. I was quite surprised that he wasn't paired up with Macdonald, but he did very well with Philly, who pretty much ran himself into the ground for the cause.

If a club accepts an offer, they are basically telling the player that they would rather have the money than the player. So when does a player ever say "nah, I don't want to go"?

Are you telling me that Tarky (having been offered a new contract) didn't want to leave and was forced out by Simon "the oafc ruining chairman" Corney?? Just look at him liking his pics in twitter of leaving a sinking a ship?? Not that I think we are one

So Tarky wanted to stay?? Don't believe that at all.

I don't think I've seen anyone mentioning Mike Keegan's tweet about rejecting a deadline day bid from the championship for Korey Smith? But I guess that doesn't fit with evil uncle simon snapping the hands off any offer that comes our way either.

LJ is building a squad to challenge in the play-offs and even above. It's going to take time on limited resources, wheeling and dealing needed and a load of patience from players and fans I'm afraid.

Corney would love to deliver immediate and mass strengthening IF it would guarantee promotion. It would make the club more saleable but it would seriously increase our operating losses. Reality check is that our income wouldn't increase massively even if we secured promotion because our attendances wouldn't increase in proportion to fund it all. The only solution is the stand to give is breathing space through the off-field activities allowing us some extra funding.

Corney is building for that incremental success through securing LJ on a long-term deal to give us continuity to finish the project. You can't do the same with players given long-term deals because form can dip but, more importantly, injuries a risk. The more saleable players are worth it because they appreciate in value e.g. Baxter, Tarkowski etc but I'm afraid that also attract interest quickly too and heads are turned because realism is that we're still in the early stages of the project (17 years at this level I know but you have to reset whenever a manager is swapped) and at bottom of table ... some are patient and want to stay, others want to go.... so there you have it with Tarkowski.

I was in the impatient camp and my views clouded the situation thinking Corney was pocketing all the income for himself whilst allowing the club to die. However, I've reflected on it a lot and like many other conspiracy theories, it's a load of bollocks!

Corney wants us to succeed; if we do then he can, if he wants, remove the millstone from his neck.

You can take the boom approach like Chris Moore, which is unsustainable and inevitably ends in bust unless you have deep pockets.

Or you can wheel and deal, sell and reinvest but that takes longer, requires continuity at the helm and in the squad but impatience and failure of immediate success (league position, longer cup runs, JPT win) forces the owners to switch managers and the project has to be restarted.

Back end of last season but definitely this season, Corney has finally opted for continuity by signing LJ on that contract to give LJ the time, commitment and support. Perhaps there were doubts on the other managers in the past with exception of Shez and the only other who likely ticks all Corney's boxes doesn't want the main job; Philliskirk. Recruiting externally and outside of Boundary Park's own boot room is a gamble but a young, ambitious, enthusiastic ex-player comes along with plans to succeed as a manager and persuades the owner that they can achieve the goal of success, within the agreed budget and committed to achieving that success and a longer petit of time.

There you have it; realism. We're Oldham Athletic of the 2010s - a League 1 club with potential - not the the Oldham Athletic of the early 1990s. We're not Marty McFly so have to do it the hard and frustrating way.

LJ is building a squad to challenge in the play-offs and even above. It's going to take time on limited resources, wheeling and dealing needed and a load of patience from players and fans I'm afraid.

<snip></snip>

There you have it; realism. We're Oldham Athletic of the 2010s - a League 1 club with potential - not the the Oldham Athletic of the early 1990s. We're not Marty McFly so have to do it the hard and frustrating way.

How dare this guy come on this board sullying it with his common sense views. Mods, get him banned immediately!!

I don't think I've seen anyone mentioning Mike Keegan's tweet about rejecting a deadline day bid from the championship for Korey Smith? But I guess that doesn't fit with evil uncle simon snapping the hands off any offer that comes our way either.

It's been mentioned on another thread...

Re Tarky my argument was that he was under contract and therefore we didn't have to sell him unless the price was right for us!

By the way this is the first I have heard about rejecting an offer for Korey, who is actually our best player!

Well done SC if that is correct!

Re Tarky my argument was that he was under contract and therefore we didn't have to sell him unless the price was right for us!

By the way this is the first I have heard about rejecting an offer for Korey, who is actually our best player!

Well done SC if that is correct!

That's what I thought about tarky when it first came about, but if he wants to go and is pushing for that we're probably best selling him. If his head isn't in it he's hardly going to kick on and increase his value.

It's annoying as :censored: but contracts don't mean a massive deal. Take the premiership - Rooney etc whinging and threatening to leave just to negotiate a pay rise years before the end of their contracts. If we could've matched the wages tarky was being offered elsewhere he may have stuck it out.

Are you telling me that Tarky (having been offered a new contract) didn't want to leave and was forced out by Simon "the oafc ruining chairman" Corney?? Just look at him liking his pics in twitter of leaving a sinking a ship?? Not that I think we are one

That new contract - if we really wanted to keep him, it would have been offered 2 or 3 months ago. Not just a token gesture to make it look like we are trying. And if we really wanted to keep him, we'd have slapped an unrealistic asking price on him, you know like every other club does when they don't want to lose a player for anything less than very good money.

Tarky probably did want to go, but I doubt he was in a rush to go right now. He's probably got ambition which is much higher than staying here. But I'd imagine (and this is just speculating like everyone else) he didn't imagine he'd be leaving to go to another League One club. But once you accept an offer (and this applies to any player at any club) you are basically telling the player that money is more welcome than you are.

This Wilson fella sounds an intelligent lad on his LP interview. Also thinks (though he's not sure) he is OK to play against Bristol City. Here till the end of the season with a view to extending.

He's our player so I don't see there being any problem. Nothing they can do about it.