Who To Replace Johnson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trust me if bristol city came in for him he would be allowed to go for a nominal amount, whats more johnson would want to go.

Of course he would, he played for them for years and was a hero down there! We were playing good football, we did do up until petrasso went in my opinion, yes the results were sticky but some performances I have seen this season have been the best since sheridan!

By offering him a longer contract this would give you the chance of getting a bigger compo package. All very well saying it now that it was a bad idea to give it him, hindsight is a wonderful thing (or not) but for gods sake get behind him for the last 10 games and see if we can survive and build again next year!

Of course he would, he played for them for years and was a hero down there! We were playing good football, we did do up until petrasso went in my opinion, yes the results were sticky but some performances I have seen this season have been the best since sheridan!

By offering him a longer contract this would give you the chance of getting a bigger compo package. All very well saying it now that it was a bad idea to give it him, hindsight is a wonderful thing (or not) but for gods sake get behind him for the last 10 games and see if we can survive and build again next year!

So good that I'm pretty sure we won one league game out of the nine that preceded that contract extension.

It's not about hindsight; as I've pointed out I, and many others, thought it was lunacy at the time.

So good that I'm pretty sure we won one league game out of the nine that preceded that contract extension.

It's not about hindsight; as I've pointed out I, and many others, thought it was lunacy at the time.

So you leave the contract? How do you expect to sign players when the manager isn't sure whether he'll be there next season. Players sign because of the manager and coaches they are working for not because of the club. A long term plan is what you need! and by giving johnson a long term deal this enabled him to feel like his job is safe and to have a long term plan in mind which I think he has given half the chance.

A totally different scale, I know but Ferguson did nothing at United straight away so just give johnson a chance, doesn't work then fine, you find somebody else but for now we have 10 games to decide our season so instead of people questioning whether he should remain at the club why not try to support him and the lads and carry us over the line

So you leave the contract? How do you expect to sign players when the manager isn't sure whether he'll be there next season. Players sign because of the manager and coaches they are working for not because of the club. A long term plan is what you need! and by giving johnson a long term deal this enabled him to feel like his job is safe and to have a long term plan in mind which I think he has given half the chance.

A totally different scale, I know but Ferguson did nothing at United straight away so just give johnson a chance, doesn't work then fine, you find somebody else but for now we have 10 games to decide our season so instead of people questioning whether he should remain at the club why not try to support him and the lads and carry us over the line

His existing contract ran to the end of next season and I suspect many players don't give a second thought to the manager's contract when they sign for a club.

His existing contract ran to the end of next season.

I know it did but to have a long term vision you need a longer contract than just a year and a half. If you have a five year plan say you need to be given five years to try and execute it, you see after 2/3 years if the plan is working out then you decide on parting ways or standing by it or heaven forbid invest in it to make it happen. It's all about long term, especially lower league football and the way many football clubs are functioning at the moment financial survival and young, enthusiastic lads is what many will be based on

I know it did but to have a long term vision you need a longer contract than just a year and a half. If you have a five year plan say you need to be given five years to try and execute it, you see after 2/3 years if the plan is working out then you decide on parting ways or standing by it or heaven forbid invest in it to make it happen. It's all about long term, especially lower league football and the way many football clubs are functioning at the moment financial survival and young, enthusiastic lads is what many will be based on

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

whats everyone talking about five year plans for its week to week at bp the player recruitment tells you that, you have to question the timing especially when tarky and rooney where freed up not long after he signed.

I don't think anybody was surprised to see Tarky go to be honest, I thought he would go when baxter went but we kept hold of him and regarding rooney it just wasn't happening. He was clearly frustrated with his form and admitted that he couldn't work out what was going wrong, just wasn't his club so in my opinion it was right for both parties that he went.

As for the week to week, it certainly is at the moment but that is to get us to the end of the season and start again, hopefully next season wont be full of scandals such as betting and players feeling unsettled and wanting to return to home.

When players sign for a club they either:

- Look at money they are offered (won't do here, could get better offers elseswhere, most of them)

- The history of the club

- The geographic position of the club

- Who the manager and the coaching staff are

- How long the manager and the coaching staff will be here or planning on being

I know this as I used to play at Bury and Blackburn, coach at Bury and coached in America and they are the five things you look at (certainly youngsters) the ones who want to learn anyway and you see certain players work well at certain clubs and just click, Danny Ings at Burnley for one, Tom Pope at Port Vale etc

not questioning your credentials or opinion a lot of what you say is common sense and hopefully LJ can learn from this season which in all honesty is looking like a car crash in slow motion, to give the gaffer any sort of chance he needs to be backed, make tough desicions including clearing out about a dozen of the current squad of 31 and support in bringing in 4 or 5 quality players not taking a chance on maybes and hasbeens, finally let him build a team instead of stripping it of all its best players.

If you show me a quote from him saying that then I'll agree with you.

Can't find the article, but he definitely said it.

He said how great his tactics were working until that song was sung and Baxter scored.

I didn't agree with that song being sung but blaming fans for not winning was desperate.

He said how great his tactics were working until that song was sung and Baxter scored.

I didn't agree with that song being sung but blaming fans for not winning was desperate.

i think it was more i'll say to the fans that it was wrong to sing his name and the fans then took it the wrong way.

A quote blaming the supporters for losing the points due to singing baxter's name I will apologise but I'm on LJ's side here because I do understand why he doesn't want opposition players being sung about when he's got 11 lads out there who needed support

i think it was more i'll say to the fans that it was wrong to sing his name and the fans then took it the wrong way.

A quote blaming the supporters for losing the points due to singing baxter's name I will apologise but I'm on LJ's side here because I do understand why he doesn't want opposition players being sung about when he's got 11 lads out there who needed support

I don't have the quote either but I think he said that it helped them as it energised Baxter or "puffed his chest out" as I think the quote was.

Which was probably true. And at the time I was thinking the same and questioning why we did it. But he didn't say we lost because of it, that's different entirely. Just like "we lost because of the ball boys" isn't what he said, nor was "we lost because of the fans". Also, did he say "my tactics were working great until then" or something along the lines of us playing well?

He's been critical of a few things and that's up for debate if you want but he hasn't said the things you're slagging him off for.

I don't have the quote either but I think he said that it helped them as it energised Baxter or "puffed his chest out" as I think the quote was.

Which was probably true. And at the time I was thinking the same and questioning why we did it. But he didn't say we lost because of it, that's different entirely. Just like "we lost because of the ball boys" isn't what he said, nor was "we lost because of the fans". Also, did he say "my tactics were working great until then" or something along the lines of us playing well?

He's been critical of a few things and that's up for debate if you want but he hasn't said the things you're slagging him off for.

That's absolutely correct, it's not blaming them, it did probably energise baxter but also he has admitted getting his own performance wrong on a few occasions.

it really does sound like you want him out, bad decision for giving him a longer contract? Good idea at the time and most said it. Every post you put seems to be a jibe at Johnson or Corney or both so answer me how is he arrogant?

Good idea at the time? We were one point above the relegation zone. Christ. Just because I criticise somebody it doesn't mean it's personal and I have a vendetta against them. Reasons quoted by Dec and I hate how everybody is up Corney's arse, he's bleeding this club dry.

Good idea at the time? We were one point above the relegation zone. Christ. Just because I criticise somebody it doesn't mean it's personal and I have a vendetta against them. Reasons quoted by Dec and I hate how everybody is up Corney's arse, he's bleeding this club dry.

What's the option? Corney pulls out what are we left with then? Who pays the bills and keeps the club running? I think we should be thankful to corney for coming in 10 years and sticking around when his counterparts pulled out.

Vendetta against Johnson, every point slates him, criticising him for things that he's either not done or things beyond his control. You've not really explained my points and i'm struggling really to see why you would get rid of him. At the time we were fine, playing with a bit of confidence, football sneaking in and were confident of getting results.

Things have changed since then but these next 10 games we need EVERYBODY'S support to help us limp over the line and criticising him for half the things you have in my opinion is unjust but each to their own

What's the option? Corney pulls out what are we left with then? Who pays the bills and keeps the club running? I think we should be thankful to corney for coming in 10 years and sticking around when his counterparts pulled out.

Corney doesn't pay the bills out of his own pocket ?

Vendetta against Johnson, every point slates him, criticising him for things that he's either not done or things beyond his control. You've not really explained my points and i'm struggling really to see why you would get rid of him. At the time we were fine, playing with a bit of confidence, football sneaking in and were confident of getting results.

Things have changed since then but these next 10 games we need EVERYBODY'S support to help us limp over the line and criticising him for half the things you have in my opinion is unjust but each to their own

FFS I just said I wouldn't.

I've only been negative since the Shrewsbury game, I knew what was ahead of us. Before that I believed every word Johnson said and was as happy clappy as they come, I even stretched to the point where I'd convinced myself Philliskirk was better than Baxter for scoring a few in the paint pot. People always say moaning at games is no good but neither is clapping after a gutless performance.

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

I've only been negative since the Shrewsbury game, I knew what was ahead of us. Before that I believed every word Johnson said and was as happy clappy as they come, I even stretched to the point where I'd convinced myself Philliskirk was better than Baxter for scoring a few in the paint pot. People always say moaning at games is no good but neither is clapping after a gutless performance.

I've not clapped a performance (other than Tranmere) for a while. I often don't say anything and just go at the end, pointless booing gets you nowhere. Why be negative? We severely lack ability but the team that started the season isn't at our disposal anymore which is massively disappointing.

Philliskirk could be something special, again when he is match fit and on form but you don't have the same feel with philly as you had with baxter.

As for the corney doesn't pay the bills 0000 who does then? Not gate receipts, we don't get enough to pay the bills alone. Corney may be tight but it is his money and it's his business so I think he has a right to! It's frustrating as a football fan and an Oldham fan but hey that's life and no matter who puts on a blue shirt we will still support them no matter what league they are in

I've not clapped a performance (other than Tranmere) for a while. I often don't say anything and just go at the end, pointless booing gets you nowhere. Why be negative? We severely lack ability but the team that started the season isn't at our disposal anymore which is massively disappointing.

Philliskirk could be something special, again when he is match fit and on form but you don't have the same feel with philly as you had with baxter.

As for the corney doesn't pay the bills 0000 who does then? Not gate receipts, we don't get enough to pay the bills alone. Corney may be tight but it is his money and it's his business so I think he has a right to! It's frustrating as a football fan and an Oldham fan but hey that's life and no matter who puts on a blue shirt we will still support them no matter what league they are in

I've never abused a player at a game, ever. Corney needs to invest if he wants success rather than selling our best assets for peanuts when he claims to want continuity. Invest in better players =higher up the league=higher attendances=more cash coming into the club.