Who To Replace Johnson

Seen as though a lot on here are adament that this is all Lee Johnson's fault, tell me who do you replace him with?

He does care of course he does and he is trying to get it right, obviously at the moment that isn't working but he is effectively playing for his managerial career, who will take a chance on him if all he has is relegation on his cv in one full season in charge?

Be very careful what you wish for, as much as we are in trouble and we look tired, lacklustre and no confidence i'd rather have a manager like Johnson than somebody like penney or talbot.

We have 10 games to try and save our season, saturday is massive so please get behind both Johnson and the lads at Crewe, i'm sure you all will (due to amount of alcohol consumed)

Would like to hear and see your thoughts on who you would replace him with though, realistic targets though

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Johnson's doing a :censored: job.

But there's sod all point in replacing him, because Corney will appoint someone equally cheap and more-than-likely :censored:.

There would be decent options out there, as there have been in the past; it's just that we won't appoint them.

Keith Hill applied for the job when Dickov got it. Dowie applied when Johnson got it.

I think Johnson's doing a :censored: job.

But there's sod all point in replacing him, because Corney will appoint someone equally cheap and more-than-likely :censored:.

There would be decent options out there, as there have been in the past; it's just that we won't appoint them.

Keith Hill applied for the job when Dickov got it. Dowie applied when Johnson got it.

Both Hill and Dowie seem to to be opposite of Dickov and Johnson, is that a coincidence at interview.

Both Hill and Dowie seem to to be opposite of Dickov and Johnson, is that a coincidence at interview.

I think if Dowie was cheaper he'd have got it ahead of Johnson. Johnson and his property success plus family links obviously impressed the board, but then again look at the occupations of the board.

I wanted Dyche or Keith Hill at the time. They've not done too bad for themselves since then.

I want a side, like Dale and Burnley have, that can entertain. If you look at both of them and most other sides at the top of the league they've all got a goalscorer. You're only as good as your striker in many instances.

If you look at us against Tranmere we were the better team all over the park other than the front 2. Lowe made the difference. What I'm saying is Corney needs to back LJ with a striker, and LJ needs to utilise that striker properly. Also, we won't get anywhere with the centre mids as defensive as they are.

This thread is really pointless because Corney showed with his ludicrous contract that he'll back LJ til the very end. When LJ goes, Corney will go; you could just see and hear that from their interviews when he was appointed.

I think if Dowie was cheaper he'd have got it ahead of Johnson. Johnson and his property success .

Not this again - he stuck a bit of magnolia up in a house and flogged it for a profit :grin:

And even if he was the next Robbie Fowler what would that have to do with him getting a football management job?

Not this again - he stuck a bit of magnolia up in a house and flogged it for a profit :grin:

And even if he was the next Robbie Fowler what would that have to do with him getting a football management job?

So we don't have an estate agent on the board, who interviewed him? I know how easy Johnson's property success was, I wasn't being serious.

We missed out on two people last year, first is Sean Dyche we should have sacked Dickov months before we did and replaced him with him. Secondly, Keith Hill one of the better managers in the FL with Rochdale and Barnsley doing wonders with no budget.

however, now I don't see the point there is no manager whos out of work who could do a job

Dowie? Why would you want Dowie back? i'm sorry but he was fantastic in charge of us but under a wealthy budget, we don't have that now and he's experienced yeah but blimey how many experienced managers have been to latics and flumped, penney, talbot, wadsworth so going young I think was the right decision and I don't necessarily think it works against you. Bournemouth took a risk with Eddie Howe, look where they are now.

Our manager that has been the best in my opinion in the years post Royle was Sheridan, where was his experience? He was the cheap option at the time and he did brilliantly, too close to his players and a large boozer was Shez's downfall but yeah no experience, cheap option so it can work. Johnson came in last season when we were all panicking and kept us in the division, he can do the same this season.

We would never have got Sean Dyche and Keith Hill, depends what you like in a manager, certainly worked for him at Rochdale but not at Barnsley. I wouldn't have minded Hill but ultimately i'm fully behind Johnson. Doesn't suddenly all come right over one season, especially a sticky season like we have had, betting scandals, players not settling, transfer sales of our two best players.

Hopefully we will stay up and then he can build next season but I think he will get it right (famous last words) but we just have to give him time

Dowie did a decent job when it all went tits up too. Under him when we had money we had a well-organised, good defence that meant we were hard to beat, I think it was the same but with non-league cloggers, thus making us easier to beat, when it went tits up too. I doubt he wouldn't be looking at the same thing again now.

I'd have Dowie back in a heartbeat, but I'm not the one writing the cheques.

I flew to Libya a couple of months ago and Dowie sat next to me on the flight. Dowie said he was offered the job before Johnson. Dowie asked for a contract until the end of 2014 season. Cornie only offered him 10 games and Dowie was not prepared to give us a six figure salary with Sky for 10 games.

Cant blame him to be honest.

Dowie said he would be back at Oldham in a heart beat if he was offered a deal over a 1 year deal. He might have been talking :censored: but I believed him.

He speaks with a smile when he talks about Oldham.

the difference between dowie/hill to dickov/lj is obvious isnt it ? we employ bright young managers who talk the talk because that suits the chaiman he has them in his pocket a yes man is what he needs not a seasoned pro who may actually question some of his piss poor desicions, these young managers work with what they have because they feel grateful for being given the oppurtunity, add to that he was probably doing the jobs for peanuts initially and had the patter lined up in the interview and it all makes sense, I actually like the bloke and wouldnt want to see him replaced he will of learned plenty this season its well documented on here the mistakes he has made but I think he has realised he wont be able to do it on his own, an assistant (not tommy w) needs to work with him someone in the tony p mould, older head who knows the score but with no connection who could look at things objectively. I think we may go down but with a better approach and support from the board he could be the man to bring us back up.

Am I right in concluding that the general consensus of opinion is that LJ is the cheap option and is being paid peanuts but at the same time we can't afford to sack him?

A cheap option with over four years left on his contract, would most probably cost more in severance than a Dowie on a one-year deal.

I wanted Dyche or Keith Hill at the time. They've not done too bad for themselves since then.

I want a side, like Dale and Burnley have, that can entertain. If you look at both of them and most other sides at the top of the league they've all got a goalscorer. You're only as good as your striker in many instances.

If you look at us against Tranmere we were the better team all over the park other than the front 2. Lowe made the difference. What I'm saying is Corney needs to back LJ with a striker, and LJ needs to utilise that striker properly. Also, we won't get anywhere with the centre mids as defensive as they are.

This thread is really pointless because Corney showed with his ludicrous contract that he'll back LJ til the very end. When LJ goes, Corney will go; you could just see and hear that from their interviews when he was appointed.

Come on practically every person on here said we needed to get LJ signed up, and mores the point were complaining it had not been done quick enough and he might leave if we did not.

If you can point to a post when you criticised the deal at the time, I will apologise.

I flew to Libya a couple of months ago and Dowie sat next to me on the flight. Dowie said he was offered the job before Johnson. Dowie asked for a contract until the end of 2014 season. Cornie only offered him 10 games and Dowie was not prepared to give us a six figure salary with Sky for 10 games.

Cant blame him to be honest.

Dowie said he would be back at Oldham in a heart beat if he was offered a deal over a 1 year deal. He might have been talking :censored: but I believed him.

He speaks with a smile when he talks about Oldham.

Very possibly but we couldn't offer dowie a contract longer than ten ganmes last season because we could have ended up going down, then what would have happened, whoever came in really only got until the end of the season then LJ kept us up so he was offered a longer deal. Offering him a longer contract was done for the right reasons, trying to say that we have a bright young manager who plays attractive football (were earlier in the season) if you want him then let's see your compensation package. Sadly it's hit the rocks and our performances aren't up to scratch, some panic signings in lockwood in particular but we still have a chance to save the season.

I'd keep Johnson, not many of you would given the choice but chopping and changing certainly doesn't work, look at fulham this season and the position they're in.

Give him a couple of years

This sums it up.

We can't keep lanzoni. We sell Tarky.

We sign Lockwood and Wilson.

Then Carilse sign Reece Brown.

That's his transfer policy in a nutshell.

That's why we're in the :censored:. Piss poor decisions.

Lanzoni didn't want to stay, tarky did want to play higher standard of football and were offered a substantial fee (not in todays player values but still a 6 figure sum), lockwood was a panic buy and everybody can see it, cheaper option than byrne, wilson is a promising young player imo and reece brown? What's he got anything to do with it? Carlisle aren't exactly pulling up any trees with him at the heart of the defence

Who to replace Johnson with? Can you not see?

there is about 30 people on here who could do a better job that Johnson! They can tell you exactly where everything is going wrong just ask! they post the same stuff every year no matter who plays for us or who is in charge.....

Edited by palmer1

Who to replace Johnson with? Can you not see?

there is about 30 people on here who could do a better job that Johnson! They can tell you exactly where everything is going wrong just ask! they post the same stuff every year no matter who plays for us or who is in charge.....

Hence why they are supporters and Lee Johnson is a football manager. Can't please everybody

Lanzoni didn't want to stay, tarky did want to play higher standard of football and were offered a substantial fee (not in todays player values but still a 6 figure sum), lockwood was a panic buy and everybody can see it, cheaper option than byrne, wilson is a promising young player imo and reece brown? What's he got anything to do with it? Carlisle aren't exactly pulling up any trees with him at the heart of the defence

Lockwood trained with us for months! how long was LJ panicing about him????? he replaced Byrne who couldnt pick up a club in league2 , he was older slower and :censored:. Lockwood is the better of the 2.

Didnt Brown only join Carlisle during the week?

Edited by palmer1

Come on practically every person on here said we needed to get LJ signed up, and mores the point were complaining it had not been done quick enough and he might leave if we did not.

If you can point to a post when you criticised the deal at the time, I will apologise.

I can't be arsed giving evidence but I'm sure OAFCRYAN would back me up that I was very critical despite being very positive about LJ at the time. I never said 'ludicrous' at the time but I disagreed with it on the grounds he said he'd only sign a new contract on an upturn of form, which we hadn't had when it was announced.

Looking back it looks like a grab it and run.