Who To Replace Johnson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the corney doesn't pay the bills 0000 who does then? Not gate receipts, we don't get enough to pay the bills alone.

The last accounts I saw showed an annual profit of £8k. That was before we played Liverpool in 2012 and had the 2013 FA Cup run. So there's probably a more up to date statement at companies house if anybody cares.

From what I can see Corney looks to run a break even business. It might need to sell an Eaves, Stephens or Tarky occasionally, but I don't believe he's dipping into his own resources to see us through. He just balances income and expenditure.

Lockwood had been training with us for months so I wouldn't class him as a 'panic' buy.

He was training with us, I presume he was helping with coaching and of course it was, we needed a centre back after tarky was sold it was deadline day and we brought wilson in which left us quite thin at the back. Lockwood was signed again probably to help with the coaching side of things (I know he did a lot with the youth cb's at bury when I was there) and thought that he could provide cover. As it turned out he was played, doubt he would be played all the time should kusunga be fit but that's the situation we are in

I've never abused a player at a game, ever. Corney needs to invest if he wants success rather than selling our best assets for peanuts when he claims to want continuity. Invest in better players =higher up the league=higher attendances=more cash coming into the club.

In theory I totally agree. The more investment you put in the better class of players you get however, in reality you can't do that in league one, that would be taking one huge risk, you could end up doubling the budget you worked to the previous season and finish say 6th, all very well that until you see the finances which would see us slump and make a huge loss. Football gets dangerous when you try and keep up with the spending of the big boys, in our case the likes of rotherham, peterborough, sheff utd, brentford and wolves and I really don't wish we did that if it meant risking losing thousands upon thousands chasing a position which wouldn't be sustainable.

Good idea at the time? We were one point above the relegation zone. Christ. Just because I criticise somebody it doesn't mean it's personal and I have a vendetta against them. Reasons quoted by Dec and I hate how everybody is up Corney's arse, he's bleeding this club dry.

what's to bleed?

what's to bleed?

5 money making FA Cup ties (3 of them on TV) in 14 months and 2 players sales for a start. Although, I don't think "bleeding" is the correct word. But neither is "re-investing" though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

So where are you suggesting the money's gone?

Is something criminal going on?

I'm not suggesting anything criminal, I'm suggesting he's fibbing about where the money goes. I think it goes is his and Blitz' back pockets. It's an opinions game, you either think the club is well run by him or not. I'm sick of us selling our best assets. He gave Johnson a contract extension because he wants continuity but as soon as we get any he ships our best players off for nothing.

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

There's been an awful lot of unbudgeted income in the past three years, to be fair.

There has.

But just from an outsiders understanding of the business model, while we might budget for break even without a cup run we invariably see a collapse in attendances it some point. We've seen most of the big away followings move up a league and we also seem to have been a tad unlucky with big teams playing us on a Tuesday night.

The last base point was the 2011 single page account showing an £8k debt (presumably to Blitz) being repaid out of profit. Now without me checking my player sales and timings I think we sold Stephens and a Eaves in that period. So without unbudgeted income we'd have been c£500k in the red.

2012 saw the first Liverpool game. 2013 the joyous cup run. I'd pluck figures from the air and say £300k and £1m extra.

2013 also saw a signing on fee and big wage for Baxter, an apparently very expensive loan for Barnard (first evidence of LJ's inability to get service to a striker) and Baxter getting sold for a fee (that probably recouped what we paid him).

2014 sees a Liverpool game and the sale of Tarky. So far. And signs of a massive collapse in home support.

Now I assume the 2012 accounts are a public record somewhere. I can't be arsed seeking them out, but I'd be surprised if there's a profit on them. More likely a six figure loss.

While I think we are up on the deal for 2013 I suspect it's not by much once our normal ability to lose £10k a week is taken into account.

2014 inevitably sees costs related to stand building. I believe the "tenants" and grants have paid for a good chunk of it, but there's definitely a gap to be plugged.

I'm sure Corney would throw in the PFA pension bill which gives an ongoing expense bigger than many of our peers.

I'm not suggesting anything criminal, I'm suggesting he's fibbing about where the money goes. I think it goes is his and Blitz' back pockets.

Big claim. Payment to repay the "shareholder loans" of c£6m owed to Blitz will show in the summary account. It did for 2011.

It's possible Corney takes a salary. It would be more tax efficient to pay himself a dividend though, but I don't recall this from the 2011 numbers.

It's an opinions game, you either think the club is well run by him or not.

I didn't say it's well run. But I think it's a big call to say the owner and the major creditor are pocketing significant sums when most football clubs run at a loss.

I'm sick of us selling our best assets. He gave Johnson a contract extension because he wants continuity but as soon as we get any he ships our best players off for nothing.

It's Oldham Athletic. The best players will always be flogged off. Even Joe Royle had to do this.

The challenge is to find a manager who can shuffle the pack after a player sale and still deliver good results. A never ending challenge it would seem.

Edited by opinions4u

Dowie said he would be back at Oldham in a heart beat if he was offered a deal over a 1 year deal. He might have been talking :censored: but I believed him.

He speaks with a smile when he talks about Oldham.

He absolutely loves the club. He knows I'm a massive Oldham fan and when ever I see him and without being prompted he gives me his thoughts about recent matches. He definitely keeps a close eye on what's going on in and around the club.... speaks to Corney regularly too I understand.

I did ask him only last week if he'd come back as manager if it didn't work out with LJ. He said the same thing to me as he did to WIZZO83 including the exact same phrase too... 'in a heartbeat' plus 'unfinished business' and 'would love to lead Oldham into the Championship'.