Do we need....

An experienced chief executive who is knowledgable and well respected in the game?

Before people jump all over me for this, hear me out....

Corney as we know is spending more and more time with his family in New York and therefore the day to day running of the club is as I understand it left to Neil Joy and Barry Owen.

Whilst Neil was probably a competent book keeper does he have the contacts, knowledge, confidence and abilities to support LJ?

What does he actually do? We hear from Barry Owen on a regular basis and when Alan was there he used to communicate more than Mr Joy ever has.

For me his appointment following Alan Hardy's retirement was definitely the cheap option and one that is doing us no favours.

We are stuck with Johnson so why not get someone to help or put pressure on him to justify some of his bizarre actions.

Ktf

Oh dear do you really think this has anything to the performance on the pitch?

For me the current CEO is doing an exceptional job in very difficult circumstances. If it's tough watching Latics at the moment it must be stressful working there 24-7?

Whilst we might not agree with the loan signings they've been successfully administered often at great speed, a new stand is being built and several off-the field issues (notably Montano) have been very well handled.

The staff at the club do an excellent job for me and once we start winning (which we will) no-one will question their ability.

I notice Crewe have a Chairman, a Vice Chairman, and 9 Club Directors, we seem a bit thin on the ground in comparison.

Commercial Enterprises (Crewe) LTD and The Rowlinson Group own more than 10% of shares in Football Club.

Edited by BP1960

Oh dear do you really think this has anything to the performance on the pitch?

For me the current CEO is doing an exceptional job in very difficult circumstances. If it's tough watching Latics at the moment it must be stressful working there 24-7?

Whilst we might not agree with the loan signings they've been successfully administered often at great speed, a new stand is being built and several off-the field issues (notably Montano) have been very well handled.

The staff at the club do an excellent job for me and once we start winning (which we will) no-one will question their ability.

Thanks Neil.

An experienced chief executive who is knowledgable and well respected in the game?

Before people jump all over me for this, hear me out....

Corney as we know is spending more and more time with his family in New York and therefore the day to day running of the club is as I understand it left to Neil Joy and Barry Owen.

Whilst Neil was probably a competent book keeper does he have the contacts, knowledge, confidence and abilities to support LJ?

What does he actually do? We hear from Barry Owen on a regular basis and when Alan was there he used to communicate more than Mr Joy ever has.

For me his appointment following Alan Hardy's retirement was definitely the cheap option and one that is doing us no favours.

We are stuck with Johnson so why not get someone to help or put pressure on him to justify some of his bizarre actions.

Ktf

He's not a book keeper, he's a qualified accountant which in itself is a full time job. What do you want to know about, the restructuring of agents contracts so that we pay less VAT, the issues of getting staff on the right tax code, the level of depreciation of our assets, whether the new stand will be opted for tax, how long it takes to reconcile the monthly accounts, our credit control policy?

It's worth highlighting that accountants can be paid an awful lot of money, but my guess is that he earns less as our chief exec than he could working for many firms in Manchester with less responsibility.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

As our official accountant is a young lass not long out of uni, it allows her to learn some of the tricks of the trade under his supervision. I'd be looking at supplementing the knowledge of the other blokes on the board, especially as the people below them are usually those either not long out of uni or don't have much experience in their job before coming here. Factor in that aside from the accountant, the other occupations of the board are copper, estate agent and mobile phone salesman then a new face on the board probably won't do any harm. I'd be quietly confident that proper democratic elections in the trust would give us a new face on the board, which is why they are unlikely to happen.

However, a new face on the board will mean an extra wage, or someone who has no need of money, ie most probably retired. The club pays peanuts, so I'm not surprised we have a few monkeys in senior positions.

As our official accountant is a young lass not long out of uni, it allows her to learn some of the tricks of the trade under his supervision. I'd be looking at supplementing the knowledge of the other blokes on the board, especially as the people below them are usually those either not long out of uni or don't have much experience in their job before coming here. Factor in that aside from the accountant, the other occupations of the board are copper, estate agent and mobile phone salesman then a new face on the board probably won't do any harm. I'd be quietly confident that proper democratic elections in the trust would give us a new face on the board, which is why they are unlikely to happen.

However, a new face on the board will mean an extra wage, or someone who has no need of money, ie most probably retired. The club pays peanuts, so I'm not surprised we have a few monkeys in senior positions.

You sound a bit down today rudemedic ?

Main Stand Banter - Yes I do think he could effect things on the pitch.

A good CEO of a Football Club will have a vast experience and will be able to assist the manager in terms of recruitment, he should be a well respected figure who can pick up the phone and ensure the club gets the best possible players at the best possible rate, he should work with the manager and guide the manage, he should also guide the Chairman and at the present time it does look like the blind are leading the blind.

If he was a fully qualified accountant (which he isn't) and he was as good as some of you clearly think he is then he wouldn't be at OAFC he would walk into a top accountants earning considerably more than he does at BP and as rude points out, we have a young lass now doing the accounts and I am sure SC will have a company dealing with the tax implications so what does he do on daily basis? Perhaps he could come out tell us!

A good CEO of a Football Club will have a vast experience and will be able to assist the manager in terms of recruitment, he should be a well respected figure who can pick up the phone and ensure the club gets the best possible players at the best possible rate, he should work with the manager and guide the manage, he should also guide the Chairman and at the present time it does look like the blind are leading the blind.

If he was a fully qualified accountant (which he isn't) and he was as good as some of you clearly think he is then he wouldn't be at OAFC he would walk into a top accountants earning considerably more than he does at BP and as rude points out, we have a young lass now doing the accounts and I am sure SC will have a company dealing with the tax implications so what does he do on daily basis? Perhaps he could come out tell us!

Is this the boardroom equivalent of "Assistant Manager Gerry Taggart was a defender, therefore, he must do nothing in his role but coach the defenders"? "The defence is :censored:, what the hell is Gerry Taggart doing?"

Granted I cannot be sure of his qualification but how do you know he's not qualified? His job was club accountant before he was CEO and his linked in still says CEO/Club accountant, though his title on the website no longer reflects this. At the end of the day he will still likely line manage the other accountant in regards to financial reporting.

Good CEO's tend to cost money and loss making businesses with limited growth potential only tend to have them when they have been with the club for a long time (e.g. Alan Hardy/Neil Joy?). I couldn't comment on whether he is doing a good job, but I do know plenty of people who work in Finance/Tax within Manchester who work in big 4/public sector/charties and not all go where the money is.

My guess is that he probably does a lot of donkey work that other more profitable businesses would employ other staff for.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Jim - we are that big of an organisation to have two accountants?! I think not! I am not prepared to reveal my HP on his qualification, but it came from someone within the club.

The job of the CEO is to manage the day to day running of the business in my opinion this includes working with the manager providing him with guidance contacts and knowledge to ensure the club signs the best players on the best possible deal for this football club. For me it is the CEO and or Chairman to conduct negotiations for players after the manager has identified them and to be honest if I was SC I would be questioning both NJ and LJ on how my business was being run.

Football aside, the clubs perception in the town is at an all time low and with the exception of Broady and the new web monkey the club don't seem to be well blessed with quality staff nor does their appear to be a business plan or any desire to boost attendances, the online club shop is frankly a disgrace, the match day programme is one of the worst in the division and the general apathy begins at the top. SC by his own admission has other issues on the go and I understand totally especially those surrounding his family, so the baton then passes to the Board and CEO, Barry god love him tries his best although appears to be out of his depth, Ian Hill seems to swan around with his head in the clouds, hence the need for an experienced CEO who can rattle cages and kick start our club.

I appreciate a good CEO would probably cost double that of NJ, but surely it would be money well spent afterall we do waste a fair amount of money on loan player and football staff who are clearly not good enough.

Perhaps NJ could be a bit more vocal in the vision of the club and his role in it?

Ktf

Whilst the majority of us have no experience of the day to day running of the club, it does concern me that we are not doing the basics right.

I know many exiled supporters who would spend a good few quid on merchandise via a decent online club shop and I read somewhere that players under the terms of their contracts have to do 2-3 hours of community work a week, perhaps I have missed it, but I don't recall getting the rarely wrong and seeing daily stories of our overpaid players visiting schools, opening fairs etc, the more players that are in the community the more chance the youngsters will want to watch OAFC, we have to get to grassroots and get people involved.

I am sure we can all post on here exactly what is wrong with the club and suggest ideas of how to make it better, but surely that is the job of the CEO and his team of staff

Whilst the majority of us have no experience of the day to day running of the club, it does concern me that we are not doing the basics right.

I know many exiled supporters who would spend a good few quid on merchandise via a decent online club shop and I read somewhere that players under the terms of their contracts have to do 2-3 hours of community work a week, perhaps I have missed it, but I don't recall getting the rarely wrong and seeing daily stories of our overpaid players visiting schools, opening fairs etc, the more players that are in the community the more chance the youngsters will want to watch OAFC, we have to get to grassroots and get people involved.

I am sure we can all post on here exactly what is wrong with the club and suggest ideas of how to make it better, but surely that is the job of the CEO and his team of staff

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/44907-massive-positive/