Barry Owen interview

His issues with the Trust running the club was regarding finances. The Trust would have to run the club to its means.

So it raises the question that if Corney isn't running the club to its means then there must be injections of cash coming from somewhere. Does anyone know if these are bank loans, further loans from our previous investors etc...

Just wondering what sources of investment Corney has access to you which wouldn't be possibly accessible to the Trust, or any other owners...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His issues with the Trust running the club was regarding finances. The Trust would have to run the club to its means.

So it raises the question that if Corney isn't running the club to its means then there must be injections of cash coming from somewhere. Does anyone know if these are bank loans, further loans from our previous investors etc...

Just wondering what sources of investment Corney has access to you which wouldn't be possibly accessible to the Trust, or any other owners...

Maybe the ex copper has some friends in the underworld. :smoking:

Any bank finance available will be subject to a charge on the land and/or personally guaranteed!

You can tell in that part 1 that Bazza is itching to say that he'd have no problem stepping up to be chairman.

It's got all the makings of an excellent sitcom this, along the lines of Yes Minister with Barry in a Jim Hacker-esque role.

Unexpectedly & suddenly getting the top job.

Give him a catchphrase and I think we're onto a winner, the money we'll get for the US version could get us a new Main Stand and a goalscorer.

It's got all the makings of an excellent sitcom this, along the lines of Yes Minister with Barry in a Jim Hacker-esque role.

Give him a catchphrase and I think we're onto a winner, the money we'll get for the US version could get us a new Main Stand and a goalscorer.

His catchphrase can be "I know certain fans will moan about this, but..."

I see as more like, "Being There," except without the unintentional pearls of wisdom

Apparently people write to barry asking for help from the trust and the trust helps them, but if people on owtb just ask for info he ignores them.

And whilst the trust ignores some/all/ a few of the owtb members, it apparently has other avenues to obtain fans views. But it does this without communicating with members or season ticket holders. Much like barry's owtb forays, perhaps he selects who is allowed to offer an opinion?

It also seems odd that a board member doesn't know where the money is coming from for the stand - he says something to the effect that he's sure simon will sort it out. So, is info being withheld from the board?

How will barry ensure we never end up back in admin if he doesn't actually have access to the financial dealings of the club?

I'm fairly sure it's a requirement that directors have full access, in fact that's barry's logic for not telling the rest of us.

The only other explanation is that it isn't an OAFC matter - in which case barry is completely at liberty to say just that.

It also seems odd that a board member doesn't know where the money is coming from for the stand - he says something to the effect that he's sure simon will sort it out.

It was a damning statement from him to be frank about his own grasp of club affairs.

It's not as bad as the usual to be fair. He is right about cashflow, any fan based scheme would need the discipline to hold a half a million or so in the bank or else be forever looking over the edge. I also believe what he says about Corney, the bloke does actually want us to succeed. Not so good is the :censored: about finding out how a football club runs. Rick Attwood used to put that line out the whole time, vary the spin if you don't want it to look pre planned lads. We are being asked to sacrifice a genuine fans voice on the board so that someone who has chosen not to represent the fans gets into pole position to take over. Smart. Please Simon, just make Barry a Director in his own right?

It's not as bad as the usual to be fair. He is right about cashflow, any fan based scheme would need the discipline to hold a half a million or so in the bank or else be forever looking over the edge. I also believe what he says about Corney, the bloke does actually want us to succeed. Not so good is the :censored: about finding out how a football club runs. Rick Attwood used to put that line out the whole time, vary the spin if you don't want it to look pre planned lads. We are being asked to sacrifice a genuine fans voice on the board so that someone who has chosen not to represent the fans gets into pole position to take over. Smart. Please Simon, just make Barry a Director in his own right?

I agree with the conclusion there. If the club want Barry involved then so be it. No objection there!

Barry should simply realise that he is not capable of doing the job that he was elected to do, i.e. be a fans representative!

Is this you now damning him for being too close to club affairs AND not close enough?

Nope....

I believe the role of fan on the board is to observe the current club situation and report it back to the Trust / Fans. This coupled with making representation of the fans views at board level.

Knowing what money is and is not in place for the new development is exactly the sort of thing he should know and should be reporting back to the fan base.

None of that means you have to be a puppet / company man. The role was never meant to be that of a full time company director.

Edited by oafc0000