Siege mentality

I know some might think "well we don't have the budget to compete, that's reality, we have to deal with it" but we've had another season where despite looking on and ireversable decline in March, we've managed to turn around and stay up comfortably once again. But now the close season is back upon us, we will no doubt be everybodies favourites for relegation once again. Whether you think that is rightly or wrongly, one thing I do love about Latics is when we prove everybody wrong. I know most will turn a blind eye to what pundits and opposition fans will say about us, but I do believe at times it can hurt the club especially when our own fans start feeling sorry for ourselves. I get the impression in recent games that LJ has done similar to what Joe Royle did and taken comments from pundits and opposition fans etc and turned it into something positive. I just hope we take into next season the same mindset, a mindset that suggests that if nobody gives us any credit, we'll try that little bit harder until you do so. We've all got to do our bit in the stand and I think by making Boundary Park a positive place rather than a morgue where everyone is feeling sorry for themselves (which it has been in recent years). I've heard a few suggest that the Chaddy wasn't that loud yesterday but I can assure those of you at the other end of the pitch that it was bouncing in there yesterday, I just hope it's bouncing again in August.

Disagree mate. We're a bigger/better club than where we are now and a 'siege mentality' is effectively acceptance. We're not overachieving.

I see what you're saying but regardless of what our own fans think, we will still be everybodies elses favourites to go down next season. I'd rather us adopt a siege mentality than feeling sorry for ourselves

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Disagree mate. We're a bigger/better club than where we are now and a 'siege mentality' is effectively acceptance. We're not overachieving.

...but our owner says we're a League Two side playing in League One?

From the top that.

Apparently we are over-achieving and should be proud of that...

...but our owner says we're a League Two side playing in League One?

From the top that.

Apparently we are over-achieving and should be proud of that...

Perhaps SC meant in terms of budget rather than belonging in a lower division, if you go off average attendances though we just about scrape into this division.

http://www.espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.3/english-league-one?cc=5739

Perhaps SC meant in terms of budget rather than belonging in a lower division, if you go off average attendances though we just about scrape into this division.

http://www.espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.3/english-league-one?cc=5739

Actually we don't. Luton, Northampton, Southend, Oxford, Chesterfield, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth and Pompey all have bigger average gates than we do. That means we are a top league 2 side if position was decided by average attendance. With FFP I wouldn't be surprised to see that more than 68 teams have a bigger budget than us, thereby making us league 2 level, if position was decided on budget.

Fortunately for us, position isn't decided on budget.

Actually we don't. Luton, Northampton, Southend, Oxford, Chesterfield, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth and Pompey all have bigger average gates than we do. That means we are a top league 2 side if position was decided by average attendance. With FFP I wouldn't be surprised to see that more than 68 teams have a bigger budget than us, thereby making us league 2 level, if position was decided on budget.

Hull, Wigan and Huddersfield were all getting about what we're getting relatively recently. Things change, budgets change. Easy to see why Corney said what he said but I don't believe it.

Perhaps he said it to give people the impression that his 10+ years here had been a success.

this is our league and we own it. 19 years a member. let the others come and go but oldham remain KTF

Hopefully not for too much longer!!

I'm not sure any club at our level should be too proud of stagnating for a footballing generation in the third tier!!

Thank goodness we haven't been relegated then, we would never get out of the 4th Div.

Edited by laticsrblue

The budget certainly helps a team, but it's what happens on the pitch that really matters. I think in all Divisions people are sometimes guilty of judging a club on their reputation rather than how a group of 11 men will do on a Saturday afternoon. I know some might think it's having a chip on my shoulder, but I do believe at times that we're one of those clubs that has a better set-up than what people give us credit for. Assuming that we are tipped to go down next season the players/Management/Staff need to go out there each week determined to prove everybody wrong and we as fans need to beleive that they can do it.

True, Newcastle United fans must wonder why they don't finish in the top 3.