Signing Number 4 - LIAM KELLY

Not quite sure why people are putting emphasis on an extra 'stringent' medical. From what I can fathom, Kelly had one horrible injury after a few seasons of uninterrupted play, then he recovered but wasn't in favour by the new manager. Not sure that really constitutes injury prone.

I see it as a positive that we are handing out a three year contract to a player that shone over a full season for a Championship club. Looks to be a worthy replacement to Smith and poses a new dynamic into what was last season a very one-dimensional midfield, which was surely one of the reasons for a poor goalscoring tally.

Well said that man.

From a quick look, he looks to have played injury free for a number of season up in Scotland, and in the 6months after he moved to Bristol City.

Any player can suffer a bad injury, it doesnt mean they are injury prone.

As long as the knee has been put through its paces and been checked out thoroughly, I dont see an issue here at all.

He was back to fitness for some of last season, but Cotterill didnt rate him so he didnt make the side. I see that as a positive; he IS over his injury; and he's not a Steve Cotterill type of player: win win for me.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said that man.

From a quick look, he looks to have played injury free for a number of season up in Scotland, and in the 6months after he moved to Bristol City.

As long as the knee has been put through its paces and been checked out thoroughly, I dont see an issue here at all.

Exactly, if everyone on here has clocked on to the fact that he did his cruciate ligament in, I'm sure it'll have occurred to the people paying money for him to tell the doctor/physio "you might want to check his knee over".

On the flip side you could argue a professional football club medical that could result in hundreds of thousands of pounds being spent might be more stringent than what we think. I don't recall us signing too many really injury prone players over the years, just a lot of :censored: ones, but sadly medically don't cover that yet;)

Rob Purdie- given what I read about his injury he may not have passed the medical I'd like to give all our players before we sign them.

Anyone know how Jack Truelove is getting on?

Tweeted at the beginning of June that he was "reaching the final stages" of his injury and he's hoping to be fit towards the end of pre-season.

Well said that man.

He was back to fitness for some of last season, but Cotterill didnt rate him so he didnt make the side. I see that as a positive; he IS over his injury; and he's not a Steve Cotterill type of player: win win for me.

That's harsh, Cotterill has built a good squad, all you need to do is look at it:

Frank Feilding

Elliott Parish

Brendan Moloney

Mark Little

Adam el-Abd

Karliegh Osbourne

Aden Flint

Derrick Williams

Greg Cunningham

Wes Burns

Scott Wagstaff

Wade Elliott

Bobby Reid

Joe Morell- 16 year old who rejected Liverpool and Everton

Marlon Pack

Korey Smith

Joe Bryan

Luke Freeman

Jay Emmanuell Thomas

Sam Baldock

You cannot deny that's a league 1 promotion squad. Also since the day Cotterill came in, we were the 5th best team in the division

That's harsh, Cotterill has built a good squad, all you need to do is look at it:

Frank Feilding

Elliott Parish

Brendan Moloney

Mark Little

Adam el-Abd

Karliegh Osbourne

Aden Flint

Derrick Williams

Greg Cunningham

Wes Burns

Scott Wagstaff

Wade Elliott

Bobby Reid

Joe Morell- 16 year old who rejected Liverpool and Everton

Marlon Pack

Korey Smith

Joe Bryan

Luke Freeman

Jay Emmanuell Thomas

Sam Baldock

You cannot deny that's a league 1 promotion squad. Also since the day Cotterill came in, we were the 5th best team in the division

I don't think anyone would deny that. Saying that i could probably get that lot challenging.

1st training session wasn't it IIRC?

Think it was probably underlying but may have been significantly worsened by the first training session. Hence why he never played for us, whereas Taylor and possibly Jacobsen with the same injury played before Xmas.

I don't think anyone would deny that. Saying that i could probably get that lot challenging.

Yep, beat me to it.

Pulling together a decent side, on a very healthy budget is one thing.

I agree its a very decent squad.

Cotterill is not my type of manager though. His football is functional at best, and he comes across pretty poorly in all the media i've seen.

Just my opinion mind.

Good luck for the coming season & all that...

EDIT: also, how many of those were already at the club when Cotterill arrived? A fair chunk no?

Edited by slystallone

Yep, beat me to it.

Pulling together a decent side, on a very healthy budget is one thing.

I agree its a very decent squad.

Cotterill is not my type of manager though. His football is functional at best, and he comes across pretty poorly in all the media i've seen.

Just my opinion mind.

Good luck for the coming season & all that...

EDIT: also, how many of those were already at the club when Cotterill arrived? A fair chunk no?

Isn't LJ's style functional sly? It ain't exciting. Truly hope we're more positive this season, particulary at home.

Cotterill is a bit of a mystery to me. On paper he's not really had a bad job as a manager anywhere, yet he seems to be disliked by the majority of clubs that he's managed (Forest fans especially).

However if that squad isn't challenging for the promotion places all through next season then Cotterill is certainly doing a bad job.

I reiterate my statement from previously, my definition of a stringent medical might be a lot more stringent than the club's/Matt Chambers'

Matt Chambers is now describing the medical as "thorough".

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/86606/revolving-doors-at-boundary-park

from a couple of seasons ago;

Kilmarnock winger James Dayton is hoping the club can hold on to recent Scotland debutant Liam Kelly at least for the rest of the season.

Kelly, whose contract ends in the summer, has been linked with Celtic, Norwich City and West Ham United.

"You want your friends to do well in football and go to the next level and I would love to see him go to the next level," said Dayton.

"But, for Kilmarnock Football Club, we want him to be here."

"I would like to see Liam stay - he is a vital player to our team," said Dayton of the player whose profile was raised further when he was a substitute in Scotland's win over Luxembourg.

"He deserved international recognition and, since then, people have spoken more about him, which is good.

"He is a hard-working, strong character with good qualities.

"He is breaking from midfield and that is what people want, goal-scoring midfielders."