Signing Number 4 - LIAM KELLY

Ah is it wrong that I felt a small sense of satisfaction as a result of that.

Awaits the inevitable Italian Suppository from one of the usual suspects.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't LJ's style functional sly? It ain't exciting. Truly hope we're more positive this season, particulary at home.

It was a season of halves wasn't it?

1st we saw some pretty decent football played, and whilst we weren't getting the results, I for one was entertained & enjoyed what i saw.

2nd half of the season, the players and tactics changed, and we played some pretty dull stuff. But it saw us get the results needed to stay up and climb the league. But i didnt enjoy it and wasnt at all entertained in the slightest. Home and away games were actually pretty :censored:e. But it served us as a means to an end and we stayed in L1.

I hope he's learned, and can strike a balance between the dull but results driven 2nd half of the season added to the flair and entertainment of the 1st half.

He's a young manager though is LJ, and i dobt think you can pin him down to a specific style just yet. Cotterill on the other hand is a seasoned manager, who i argue you can do that to. And he is a functional style of manager. Gets sides organised and solid, with rigid tactics and a core of players. As i say, functional...

1st we saw some pretty decent football played, and whilst we weren't getting the results, I for one was entertained & enjoyed what i saw.

2nd half of the season, the players and tactics changed, and we played some pretty dull stuff. But it saw us get the results needed to stay up and climb the league. But i didnt enjoy it and wasnt at all entertained in the slightest. Home and away games were actually pretty :censored:e. But it served us as a means to an end and we stayed in L1.

I hope he's learned, and can strike a balance between the dull but results driven 2nd half of the season added to the flair and entertainment of the 1st half.

He's a young manager though is LJ, and i dobt think you can pin him down to a specific style just yet. Cotterill on the other hand is a seasoned manager, who i argue you can do that to. And he is a functional style of manager. Gets sides organised and solid, with rigid tactics and a core of players. As i say, functional...

Id agree with a lot of that; but I'll wager it already has become his style. Similar to Cotterill. Which of the two halves of last season was more successful points wise? I could be wrong, but I don't think we've signed anyone under 6ft in pre season. To me, he wants to pick up where he left off. Solid, organised, look to bully teams. I'm sure LJ would say he wants to attack an be positive, but privately I think realises we were a soft touch at the start of last year. As you say it's a balancing act. Do we try an entertain an finish bottom 8. Or make us hard to beat ( an poor to watch) an finish top half? We haven't got the budget IMO for style an top half.

Hope I'm wrong, an he can find that balance; but I see a lot of the last ten games being served up this year. ( which if we finish top 10, won't be bad a thing)

A great post. I feel that most of the time the teams that are challenging for the promotion spots are the one's who spend the first chunk of the season trying to form a functional unit, slowly but surely adding players to the side who can offer more quality or play a more expansive style. Despite having a much greater budget than most, Wolves were the perfect example of this method last season. Whereas Sheffield United attempted the other method and were always playing catch up.

Keeping us as solid as those last 10 games and hoping the forwards do better is very simplistic but something LJ would be mad not to attempt.

There was a time I wouldn't have wanted to watch that but I'll happily ditch my ideals to see us flirting with promotion, even if it's only for a month or two of the season.

A "source"?

#FACT

Always a difficult one as if I name names no doubt that relationship will end and that is particularly difficult given that it is a business based one!

Probably best in future that I keep the snippets of information to myself in future.........suppose the people on here that use 'sources' have tainted those that do get (albeit rare) information

Always a difficult one as if I name names no doubt that relationship will end and that is particularly difficult given that it is a business based one!

Probably best in future that I keep the snippets of information to myself in future.........suppose the people on here that use 'sources' have tainted those that do get (albeit rare) information

I think such things are better received if you say 'don't know if it's true, but....'. I understand the predicament though.

At the end of the day, credible sources still can get things wrong.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

A great post. I feel that most of the time the teams that are challenging for the promotion spots are the one's who spend the first chunk of the season trying to form a functional unit, slowly but surely adding players to the side who can offer more quality or play a more expansive style. Despite having a much greater budget than most, Wolves were the perfect example of this method last season. Whereas Sheffield United attempted the other method and were always playing catch up.

Exactly.

I think to an extent you have to earn the right to play exciting football. When we played open football we were too easy to pick off on the counter. Then we tightened up and became harder to beat. If we remain hard to beat teams will have to commit more to scoring against us, hopefully leaving space our forwards can exploit. This results in goals and wins and unbeaten runs and promotions. Simple really.

I'm no tactician mind.

Or keep the relationship professional and keep what your told private if it's in the context of buisness!

Or keep the relationship professional and keep what your told private if it's in the context of buisness!

Wasn't told it was private & confidential just as I wasn't told to broadcast on open forums..........I personally thought I could enlighten people whilst keeping a degree of privacy - as my son would say.....My Bad! You live and learn :icon_peace:

Mike Yarwood today told the estimable MilnrowLatics that it was , as Matt Chambers thought, around £250k ....but certainly don't want to rubbish SCisgod .

Maybe there's a reason for trying to suggest the figure is low - dampens expectations of what there is to spend

Alternatively could be a reason for trying to inflate it - we are good negotiators positioning

Mike Yarwood today told the estimable MilnrowLatics that it was , as Matt Chambers thought, around £250k ....but certainly don't want to rubbish SCisgod .

Maybe there's a reason for trying to suggest the figure is low - dampens expectations of what there is to spend

Alternatively could be a reason for trying to inflate it - we are good negotiators positioning

Fair enough, all I can say is that he hasn't been wrong on anything so far and given that he is well versed in the in workings of football clubs and in particular Latics I have never had any reason to either doubt him or believe he has any ulterior motive.

Playing devils advocate here wouldn't it be a good PR move to inflate the value of the deal to the local presser knowing it would appease fans.........suppose we will never know until the information comes into the public domain!

Playing devils advocate here wouldn't it be a good PR move to inflate the value of the deal to the local presser knowing it would appease fans.........suppose we will never know until the information comes into the public domain!

I see what your saying but it's more to do with not letting agents knowing how much money we do or don't have. if we come out and say we are loaded we are showing our hand when it comes to negotiating with any new signings and an agent could potentially rinse us some things are best kept confidential.

I see what your saying but it's more to do with not letting agents knowing how much money we do or don't have. if we come out and say we are loaded we are showing our hand when it comes to negotiating with any new signings and an agent could potentially rinse us some things are best kept confidential.

define profit? - might seem obvious however......

transfer fee received minus transfer fee paid equals profit of 150,000

but

transfer fee received minus transfer fee paid minus agents fees, player registration costs and signing bonuses and incidental costs equals smaller profit of 110,000

both your sources could be correct!

next post will be how to solve the middle east peace negotiations in three easy steps :coffee1: