Manchester United's finances

This has been bugging me (on and off) for a few years.

I quote these factoids from the BBC website:

The Glazer family bought the club for £790m in 2005

The club still owes about £400m in loans used to finance the takeover

Please can someone explain how it makes any sense for the club to borrow money in order to help finance it's own takeover. Surely if the Glazers were short of the funds needed buy out existing shareholders then THEY and not the club would be borrowing the money.

What am I missing?

Please can someone explain how it makes any sense for the club to borrow money in order to help finance it's own takeover. Surely if the Glazers were short of the funds needed buy out existing shareholders then THEY and not the club would be borrowing the money.

What am I missing?

I think I understand it - sometimes.

It's a bit of a head:censored:. As far as I get it it's about a willingness to take more out of the club than normal investors would. Sort of like people who made or lost a fortune in the last property boom by getting mortgages against mortgaged properties.

It doesn't make any sense.

@andersred is a good source of information on Glazernomics:

The story so far: stacking up debt 2005-2010, paying down debt 2010-2012.....
The 2005 takeover
Manchester United was taken over in 2005 by the Glazer family of Tampa, Florida. The transaction was a "leveraged buyout" of Manchester United plc (which was at the time quoted on the London Stock Exchange). "Leveraged buyout" means that United was acquired largely with debt, debt secured primarily on the football club itself.
The takeover was hugely controversial at the time it happened and was opposed not only by supporters but by the management of Manchester United plc itself.

From the 2010 bond issue to the 2012 IPO
Whilst Sir Alex Ferguson and his players have worked miracles on the pitch since 2005, financially the leveraged buyout has had a major impact on United. Ticket prices have risen very significantly, pricing many traditional supporters out, transfer budgets have been reduced to levels way below what a club of United's size and profitability should be able to afford, the new owners have failed to communicate properly with supporters and in January 2010 the £500m bond issue granted the Glazer family the right to take hundreds of millions of pounds out of the club in dividends in the next seven years.

...you can read the whole thing here:

http://andersred.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/500m-of-costs-later-could-we-see-debt.html

http://andersred.blogspot.co.uk/

Perhaps the Redd Soxx are a bigger global brand?

140% or so bigger, based on those figures.

Wasn't Nike's previous deal with United £23.5m/year, so they're now worth more than three times that, despite having their worst season in decades?

Wasn't Nike's previous deal with United £23.5m/year, so they're now worth more than three times that, despite having their worst season in decades?

Ive met many hundreds of people from all over the world, I reckon the ones calling themselves United fans outnumber Madrid easily 100 - 1

What am I missing?

It works in the same way as a mortgage you borrow money to buy a house from a bank the house is mufc the buyers are the glazers the bank is JP Morgan.

If you don't pay your mortgage you get your house repossesed the glazers pay a certain amount to Jp Morgan to finance the debt if they miss a certain amount of payments the JP Morgan takes over the club and will auction it off to the highest bidder. The house itself is safe it just finds new owners the risk is with the buyers in this case the glazers.

When Gillet and Hicks owned Liverpool they borrowed from RBS when they didn't pay the debt back as Liverpool were not making a profit and RBS took control and auctioned it of to john Henry their was nothing hicks and gillet could do Liverpool was safe. That is the worst case scenario for Man United in reality if the glazers couldn't pay the debt they would suffer a few years of hardship but ultimately they would survive and recover.

From a business point of view it's risky but it does work if they run the club properly. Man United is pretty safe.

From a sporting point of view it's questionable wether it's good to have people running football clubs who aren't really interested in football.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Unfortunately iPhone autocorrect only recognises glazier :)

Ah, that explains it then. There are loads of posters of conversations out there who are being chastised for confusing window installers with a blood sucking leech - and it's all Apples' fault.

I think it's the fact that United are in the worst shape for years and still raking in the the cash that is most depressing, the club is being sucked dry - as some have said elsewhere, it'll be interesting to see the bottom line at the end of the season. I don't think that Adidas money will be going back into the team.

Corporate control at it's most abhorrent.

I think it's the fact that United are in the worst shape for years and still raking in the the cash that is most depressing, the club is being sucked dry - as some have said elsewhere, it'll be interesting to see the bottom line at the end of the season. I don't think that Adidas money will be going back into the team.

Corporate control at it's most abhorrent.

Well they have already sunk over £50 million in and are not stopping their over a £100 million was promised to van gaal to say that the glazer (looked I spelt it correctly) ownership of United has severely hampered them in the transfer market is naive. They spent over £70million on top of what they already had last season and finished 7th only man city out spent them. This summer the spending has continued despite no champions league football.

Ive met many hundreds of people from all over the world, I reckon the ones calling themselves United fans outnumber Madrid easily 100 - 1

Here's a list of shirt sales for calendar year 2013 (according to Bild):

Top 10 (club, shirt sales)

Real Madrid 1,400,000

Manchester United 1,400,000

Barcelona 1,150,000

Chelsea 910,000

Bayern Munich 880,000

Liverpool 810,000

Arsenal 800,000

Juventus 480,000

Inter 425,000

Milan 350,000

Here's a list of shirt sales for calendar year 2013 (according to Bild):

Top 10 (club, shirt sales)

Real Madrid 1,400,000

Manchester United 1,400,000

Barcelona 1,150,000

Chelsea 910,000

Bayern Munich 880,000

Liverpool 810,000

Arsenal 800,000

Juventus 480,000

Inter 425,000

Milan 350,000

How much is a shirt these days? 1,400,000 x £40 = £56,000,000.

How much was Fellaini?