Player ratings

Guest Stanley30

Guest Stanley30

Didn't make the game today but would love to know people thought who went. Looks like we're playing well at the mo. Top half finish would be a massive improvement this year. But feel like cornet is pushing the boat out this year, with the new stand pending it looks like a calculated risk. If we don't have a promotion push I can see a fire sale in the summer. Don't wanna spoil the buzz coz I'm chuffed at the mo. Think Johnson will be the hardest asset to hold onto this year!

Maybe, but Johnson has been prominent. So if Jones is taking on a more functional and less noticeable role to give DJ freedom, it's worth doing.

I agree, but I did notice Jones is not as effective in that and didn't look a natural in tracking back to assist B Wilson when needed at times yesterday from Rochdale's only danger on that flank.

It would be a shame not to get the best out of Jones, which is central midfield IMO.

As you say he did a decent job, so no doubt things will be left as they are while the team is doing well.

Edited by BP1960

I'm still not convinced with B. Wilson.

I think he cut the ball back for philliskirk penalty yesterday but anything Rochdale did attacking wise (not a great deal I know) came down our right hand side.

I think the problem there was twofold;

1. The Rochdale wide man was quite useful and their only real threat, looks like he could go higher in the game.

2. Jones doesn't look as good on the right flank as he was centrally and is not a natural tracking back.

We may have to adapt tactics in future for opposition players who hug the touchline.

Edited by BP1960

I think the problem there was twofold;

1. The Rochdale winger Tanser was quite useful and their only real threat.

2. Jones doesn't look as good out wide as he was centrally and is not a natural tracking back.

We may have to adapt tactics in future for opposition teams who play wingers hugging the touchline.

Other teams will notice that we do play quite narrow and will set up to get out wide and behind our defence. As you say, we will need to be prepared for this.

Mostly 6's and 7's, apart from..

Mills - just another solid performance. Got clobbered all game and still won most tackles. 8

Dieng - won basically every tackle. Not the best at the long ball, but doesn't need to be. 8

Kelly - there was a point in the second half where he lost the ball near their penalty area, and had won it back before the halfway line with 5 yards to make up on the Dale player. 8/9

Johnson - 2 good goals, making it 3 goals and an assist in 3 games. I was cautious when his first interview was titled 'I Will Score Goals', but fair play. 8

Philliskirk - he's so comfortable you barely notice him, until he pops up with 3 assists. Could tell he's an Oldham lad, he was proper up for it. 9

Think this MotM poll will be the closest in a long time. Could go to any of 6 players.

Poorest display I have seen from him yesterday - but he is good enough to grow into the role if DJ stays central.

Really? I thought he was MOTM. Opinions, eh? Wasn't convinced about the formation generally yesterday, though.

Jones carried the ball well and was involved in everything we did. I thought Kusunga and Timmy were excellent. Still hope there's more to come from Johnson besides scoring and creating loads of goals.

Not entirely sure what more Johnson can do besides scoring and creating goals?

Land a crippled airplane, untie the Gordian knot... He has shown flashes of brilliance but not dominated a game yet. Could be worse like

Think if the flashes were permanent he wouldnt be in this league. I think it's a good sign that we now have players in DJ and Forte who can win games for us without them having to be on it for the whole 90minutes. Makes a nice change too. All he needs to do is get us to sell out BP against a southern team and he's The Messiah