Most successful Latics Managers

The following have win percentages of 40% or more.

They relate to specific periods in charge - several, Ashworth, Rowley, Sheridan had more than one spell.

David Ashworth 1906-14 44.52

Jack Rowley 1960-3 43.71

Mick Wadsworth 2001/2 42.86

Bob Mellor 1934/45 42.08

John Sheridan 2006/09 40.40

Jimmy McMullan 1933/34 40

Yes, agreed, but Jimmy Frizzell warrants a mention, he got us from old div 4 to old div 2 (now The Championship) where we stayed for some time before Joe came along and brought in the likes of Groves and Stainrod, two great fans favourites.

Yes, agreed, but Jimmy Frizzell warrants a mention, he got us from old div 4 to old div 2 (now The Championship) where we stayed for some time before Joe came along and brought in the likes of Groves and Stainrod, two great fans favourites.

Absolutely.

Meaningless stat in isolation.

Joe Royle was about 37% I think, but he was losing games in the modern day premier league as massive underdogs.

By a country mile our most successful manager.

I take your point but one could say that Joe managed the vast majority of his games in the old Second Div where the underdog line doesn't hold as much strength

Jack Rowley managed successfully with 4th Div players in the 4th Div - like for like . Yes he had Bobby Johnstone but his others were those released by higher clubs e.g. Lister, Branagan, , those coming to the end of their career e.g. Spurdle, McCue, cheap or free transfers e.g. Williams, Rollo.

Royle took us in the top flight for only the second time, and as far in the FA cup as ever before. Most successful ? I know what you mean - though Ashworth ( at a different point in the game) took us from non/league to top flight runners up and FA Cup semi finalists. So it's one of those debating issues.

I've supported Latics under three of the managers - and hope there'll still be one more who tops the lot

Statistics tell one story but what Royle, Frizzell, Ashworth & Bamlett all ACHIEVED matters more.

I'd give Sheridan an honourable mention and, he was before my time but, Rowley too from the sounds of it.......

Penney, Sharp, Dickov & Warnock can GTF.

I take your point but one could say that Joe managed the vast majority of his games in the old Second Div where the underdog line doesn't hold as much strength

The acoustics, facilities & budgets brigade would have us believe we were punching above our weight, will never do so again and that we should stop living in the past........

Edited by HarryBosch

Based on silverware? Based on comparing the club when he joined to when left? Based on total games won? Successful can be defined different ways

1970/82 total of 546 games - 200 wins - 162 draws - 184 lost - 36.63 % win ratio

Now Jimmys win ratio is not as good as some but in the days of only 2 points for a win a draw was a good result. Look at how few games he lost. Rather than just compare win ratio we should also compare loss ratio to give a fair reflection of ability.

Edited by Stagger Lee

For their achievements both Ashworth and Royle are up top closely followed by Sir Jimmy for me but its fair to say different eras different styles different oppinions . My favorite time watching Latics was under Frizzell as a youngster Groves Stainrod Valentine Wylde Young Wood Whittle still my favourites to ever wear the blue .