OWTB Prediction League Cup Thread 2015/16

Stevie_J

Would appear that someone is keen to retain the cup.

The cup has become a drab affair on the showing of 5 goal less draws. Some of the teams that were eliminated early on would surely have given the cup more of a Samba feel if they had proceeded further.

One of the most exciting 0-0s I've been involved in. Could've swung on just a couple of thousand here or there on or off the gate. A late Latics goal would've settled it...but to score a goal I suppose you need to have a shot.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Stevie. Best of luck to astottie in the replay....

Thanks Andy . Pleased with the boys performance Satuturday, grinding out a result away at the league leaders. Could be a leveller back at our place,cramped ground, crowd close to the pitch and uneven surface, southern Jessies might not like it up 'em on a cowd Owdham neet, you know how it is.

Mind you I'll have to remember to put a prediction in which has proved tricky in the past.

Would appear that someone is keen to retain the cup.

The cup has become a drab affair on the showing of 5 goal less draws. Some of the teams that were eliminated early on would surely have given the cup more of a Samba feel if they had proceeded further.

Who wouldn't be keen? This isn't the sort of cup competition that you elect not to play in so you can take part in some money-spinning tinpot :censored:e in Brazil.

Who wouldn't be keen? This isn't the sort of cup competition that you elect not to play in so you can take part in some money-spinning tinpot :censored:e in Brazil.

Funnily enough I was thinking of doing that next season. Like I've said, it's only worth a :censored: if it's part of an Historical Double.

Ugh. 'An Historical'. I absolutely hate it when people say/write that.

I'm relaxed about it. "An historical" is just like "a historical" but with a flat H. The announcer on the train to Sheffield sounded like a BBC newsreader right up until she said words beginning with H, when you just got the following vowel sound, nicely razed to the ground, just in case anyone thought they'd got on the wrong train and weren't going to Yorkshire after all.

I'm relaxed about it. "An historical" is just like "a historical" but with a flat H. The announcer on the train to Sheffield sounded like a BBC newsreader right up until she said words beginning with H, when you just got the following vowel sound, nicely razed to the ground, just in case anyone thought they'd got on the wrong train and weren't going to Yorkshire after all.

I'm fine with 'an 'istorical' when it's spoken as that's the right use for an. Before a vowel.

I'm fine with 'an 'istorical' when it's spoken as that's the right use for an. Before a vowel.

I used to do a bit of transcribing for a living. If someone like Denis Skinner says it, it's "an historical event". If it's Sir Tufton Bufton, it's "a historical event". I don't know how far I'd go with phonetic spelling but that seems okay. I hate to break it to all the pedants out there but English isn't rules-based. The rules, such as they exist, are the means to the end.

DavidCollinge 0-6 Carl Waters

Elsewhere, any remaining hopes of silverware DavidCollinge had were left in tatters by a ruthless Carl Waters, who continues his barnstorming cup form.

Aye, congrats. to Carl, a poor season for me but an exciting one nevertheless with it (hopefully) going to the last game..

Second Round Replays:

astottie 7-8 24hoursfromtulsehill

warwickshire latics 2-6 Latics_Fanatic

Ex_pat 4-2 underdog

stevesidg 2-5 jorvik_latic

Andy-latic 6-3 HarryBosch

High-scoring affairs all round. 24hours gets the best of a fifteen point thriller. Latics_Fanatic, Ex_pat and jorvik_latic progress in fine style and Andy-latic fells title hopeful HarryBosch.

Shades of a massive fix with those first numbers coming out of the open box like that.

I'm not alleging anything but it clearly suits the organisers to keep Ex_pat and me apart in the hope of an Historic sort-out for the Double at the end of the season. I'm all for it.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Shades of a massive fix with those first numbers coming out of the open box like that.

I'm not alleging anything but it clearly suits the organisers to keep Ex_pat and me apart in the hope of an Historic sort-out for the double at the end of the season. I'm all for it.

The only benefit of keeping yourself and ex-pat apart is the need to get the competition completed, late edits ensure similar predictions, perhaps next season we need to introduce the no edit rule or edits only allowed for rearranged games.

The only benefit of keeping yourself and ex-pat apart is the need to get the competition completed, late edits ensure similar predictions, perhaps next season we need to introduce the no edit rule or edits only allowed for rearranged games.

Great minds ensure similar predictions...but I guess you wouldn't know about that. Your technique is based on repetition, which is why you are where you are.

Seriously though. I think Ex_pat and I shared very different views about how yesterday's game would go and we both :censored:ed it up. Sometimes one of us :censored:s it up and the other doesn't. That's what makes predicting so great and why this season is shaping up to be the best ever. If I'm slightly ahead on points on the last day and I could simply copy someone else's prediction and still win it...I'll still go for what I think is right. And who could've known 1,000 extra Dale fans would turn up after Friday's bank robbery?

Apologies for the delay in publishing these - I moved house on Thursday and life's been a tad chaotic over the past few days...

Carl Waters 0-1 nzlatic

Andy-latic 3-1 24hoursfromtulsehill

Ex_pat 0-0 Latics Fanatic

jorvik_latic 1-6 Stevie_J

That means there was a Latics Fanatic v Ex_pat replay yesterday, the score:

Latics Fanatic 3-3 Ex_pat

Latics Fanatic wins on closest attendance.

Apologies for the delay in publishing these - I moved house on Thursday and life's been a tad chaotic over the past few days...

Carl Waters 0-1 nzlatic

Andy-latic 3-1 24hoursfromtulsehill

Ex_pat 0-0 Latics Fanatic

jorvik_latic 1-6 Stevie_J

That means there was a Latics Fanatic v Ex_pat replay yesterday, the score:

Latics Fanatic 3-3 Ex_pat

Latics Fanatic wins on closest attendance.

Well, the looks like the pressure of battling on 2 fronts was too much for 24 and ex-pat, will be interesting to see if their season collapses now. Well done to all 4 semi finalists, the reinging champ is the one to avoid in the draw it would appear.

Well done Fanatic, & good luck the semi.

If only I had Harry's pin and paper, i would have got closer to the attendance.

Oh well, there always next year. Now back to checking the league and that 24hrs bloke?