New manager template

I have been thinking about this.

Most of our succesful ones have had spells as coach, Asst Manager or Youth team manager at our club or another. Maybe this is the key. The one exception is Joe Royle. but he had a very long time to learn his trade before success beckoned. And in those days you did not have to do qualifications.

Jimmy Frizzell. Served as a coach under Jack Rowley

Joe Royle. See above 5 or 6 years before sucess came

Andy Ritchie. Asst to Neil Warnock

Mick Wadsworth. (High win %age) Whilst not serving assistant at Latics, he was assistant in a numbver of roles, inc FA. etc

Iain Dowie. Asst/Coach at QPR. Asst Mgr to Mick wadsworth

Ronnie Moore. Asst Mgr to John King at Tranmere.

John Sheridan. Served as coach.

Some are going to mention Dean Holden, but he had only been here 3 months, and was not lined up for Manager position. That said, even Johnson's believes Dean Holden would become a good manager one day. And of Lee Johnson, he learnt much of what he would learn as an Asst from his Dad, possibly in those bins.

This is where we went wrong with Kelly and Dunn IMHO. No Succeession Planning. And time served.

If we take on a rookie mananger, they need to have had coaching/ asst manager experience for a reasonable time.

I have been thinking about this.

Most of our succesful ones have had spells as coach, Asst Manager or Youth team manager at our club or another. Maybe this is the key. The one exception is Joe Royle. but he had a very long time to learn his trade before success beckoned. And in those days you did not have to do qualifications.

Jimmy Frizzell. Served as a coach under Jack Rowley

Joe Royle. See above 5 or 6 years before sucess came

Andy Ritchie. Asst to Neil Warnock

Mick Wadsworth. (High win %age) Whilst not serving assistant at Latics, he was assistant in a numbver of roles, inc FA. etc

Iain Dowie. Asst/Coach at QPR. Asst Mgr to Mick wadsworth

Ronnie Moore. Asst Mgr to John King at Tranmere.

John Sheridan. Served as coach.

Some are going to mention Dean Holden, but he had only been here 3 months, and was not lined up for Manager position. That said, even Johnson's believes Dean Holden would become a good manager one day. And of Lee Johnson, he learnt much of what he would learn as an Asst from his Dad, possibly in those bins.

This is where we went wrong with Kelly and Dunn IMHO. No Succeession Planning. And time served.

If we take on a rookie mananger, they need to have had coaching/ asst manager experience for a reasonable time.

Who did Royle have though? Inexperienced Donachie was his assistant even at the start wasn't he? He was given time, despite some ropey performances and results by all accounts and only after a few years did it come good.

I just don't think the game, the media or the fans allow that sort of time these days - hence so many people jumping on Dunn's back so early.

Who did Royle have though? Inexperienced Donachie was his assistant even at the start wasn't he? He was given time, despite some ropey performances and results by all accounts and only after a few years did it come good.

I just don't think the game, the media or the fans allow that sort of time these days - hence so many people jumping on Dunn's back so early.

Thats right, and I think that re-enfroces the need for any Rookie manager to have served time as an Assistant or Coach. I think we will have to have managers in their first job, but something other than qualifications to back it up.

The transfer system was much better then as well. Also 1st div. wages were nowhere near the prem. wages of today. even the wage ratio with the Championship is enormous now.