Oldham Nil

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was the top scorer taken off when a goal was needed?

I'm no fan of Philly, but i found that very strange. We're losing in the FA cup, in need of a cutting edge, so he takes off an attacking player for another.

I really thinks he's a clueless manager. Out of his depth. That quote in mid-week (already mention on another thread) about him watching Burton and Millwall and realising we need a no nonsense leader at the back. Really!! It's only taken two months to realise that? Even Kelly understood, which is why he gave Gunning a chance. He is poor.

Agreed- philiskirt is a poor player, even for this level.

I wouldn't have him near my starting 11.

Reason being he is invisible for long periods of every game I have seen him, and he ain't all that when the ball does go near him.

Agreed- philiskirt is a poor player, even for this level.

I wouldn't have him near my starting 11.

Reason being he is invisible for long periods of every game I have seen him, and he ain't all that when the ball does go near him.

Top scorer, doesn't play up front. Can see why he plays.

Why was the top scorer taken off when a goal was needed?

Because he was playing :censored:.

We wouldn't have come close to an equaliser but for the sending off. Once they went down to ten men we had chances and should have come away with at least a replay.

I thought Winchester played well. Plus he looked just as pissed off as many in the stands at full time.

Sounded like we missed 3 or 4 decent chances, hit the post, possible pen not given.

Bad finishing? Bad luck? Misleading commentary?!

Misleading by the sounds of it. Hardly got in the box, so don't know when we had a penalty shout. Cassidy and winchester should have scored free headers. Poleon over ran one near the end when 1v1. Too slow to switch play and not enough looking to go forwards. Only started 'playing' (sort of) after the red card. Too busy seeing if there is a easy pass behind them. Sheff utd were really bad, we were even worse.

I didn't think Winch played at all well - too lightweight and made a few swan dives early on that made the ref look the other way when he was actually fouled. Was a bit better when they were down to 10 and he was under less pressure. Needs to eat nothing but protein shakes for the next six months. I expected him and Philli to come off. Preferably I'd have also took Mills rather than Yates off. Mills invariable tries to find the nearest opponent with the ball. I think he holds it up until they are in range deliberately. Probably why Cassidy missed - was in shock it got to him.

I'd normally stick up for Philli - definitely in the Ratboy bracket with a lot of fans. Can do no right. If he scored a brace he'd be criticised for not getting three and if he got a hat-trick - for not getting a perfect one (I know I'm in dreamland here).

That was :censored:e. No creativity, no urgency. Never felt like we was going to score.

Says it all when Dieng was probably our most creative player with the run he had in the second half.

We only seem to score when there is some sarcastic chanting beforehand.

So why didnt we use pace from the start,using the Shrewsbury example who put four past

Having pace is not about having one quick runner...it is about having 3 or 4 players who can all break at the same pace to provide options for their colleague and to present defenders with multiple possibilities to consider rather than just having to steer one player into non dangerous areas. It is also crucially about speed of thought. A 1 second delay allows an opposing player to move 8 yards in that one second. A second touch always takes at least one second. So every time one of our players takes a second touch the opposition players will be able to move upto 100 yards between them....

So why didnt we use pace from the start,using the Shrewsbury example who put four past

Having pace is not about having one quick runner...it is about having 3 or 4 players who can all break at the same pace to provide options for their colleague and to present defenders with multiple possibilities to consider rather than just having to steer one player into non dangerous areas. It is also crucially about speed of thought. A 1 second delay allows an opposing player to move 8 yards in that one second. A second touch always takes at least one second. So every time one of our players takes a second touch the opposition players will be able to move upto 100 yards between them....

Having said that I don't think Shrewsbury's players are in the Barcelona class.

Edited by BP1960

I agree but the pertinent question is....are Latics players in the Shrewsbury class?

I suppose I would stuggle to name 4 players who could exploit defences with pace and speed of thought.

I remember when Jimmy Armfield was asked what what so special about Big Joe's team "they are all quick" he said.

Edited by BP1960

I suppose I would stuggle to name 4 players who could exploit defences with pace and speed of thought.

I remember when Jimmy Armfield was asked what what so special about Big Joe's team "they are all quick" he said.

Yep and pace is the one thing you can't teach a player Edited by Magister

Lots of players in non league have it though, and if used correctly like Jamie Vardy gems can be polished.

Is coaching a problem here?

but you have got to persuade those unpolished diamonds to come to us many of them will be on more money playing part time than they would at us