Manchester Arena Bomb Attack

72 hours later and that's my wife and daughter in the middle of it. By the grace of God, pure luck. 

God Bless all those affected and I hope the extremist fuckwits responsible burn in hell. When will these idiots learn that freedom will never bow to fear? 

2 ladies, still missing, are from Royton.

Truly awful.

It's impossible to know what to say Prozac, but so glad your family are safe.

1 hour ago, oafcprozac said:

72 hours later and that's my wife and daughter in the middle of it. By the grace of God, pure luck. 

God Bless all those affected and I hope the extremist fuckwits responsible burn in hell. When will these idiots learn that freedom will never bow to fear? 

16 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

72 hours later and that's my wife and daughter in the middle of it. By the grace of God, pure luck

I'm in town as well on Saturday, as it happens - and I was about an hour and a quarter away from Brussels last March.

I'm seeing this all over Facebook, it's irrational considering on the evening it happened you were probably (I'm assuming you're in the OMBC area) 40 minutes away, which (if we're using time as a measure) is a lot closer than three days.

Great scenes in Albert Sq. last night, one thing about Manchester is it's defiance - it's ability to stick two fingers up to just about anyone who tries to damage the fabric of the city. This is the place.

3 hours ago, rummytheowl said:

I'm in town as well on Saturday, as it happens - and I was about an hour and a quarter away from Brussels last March.

I'm seeing this all over Facebook, it's irrational considering on the evening it happened you were probably (I'm assuming you're in the OMBC area) 40 minutes away, which (if we're using time as a measure) is a lot closer than three days.

Great scenes in Albert Sq. last night, one thing about Manchester is it's defiance - it's ability to stick two fingers up to just about anyone who tries to damage the fabric of the city. This is the place.

It is far from irrational. It is purely contextualising what has happened. Rightly or wrongly, these things have much more impact when people can relate to them. I wasn't at the Arena on Monday night but I have been there on a large number of occasions and have often walked through the foyer where the bomb went off. That makes it much easier to picture what happened, know the kind of people who would be affected and, yes, to think "that could have been me or one of my family".

18 hours ago, singe said:

2 ladies, still missing, are from Royton.

Truly awful.

It's impossible to know what to say Prozac, but so glad your family are safe.

Just confirmed by BBC that Alison Howe and Lisa Lees from Oldham, who were waiting to pick up their daughters, were killed.

2 hours ago, Latics and England said:

It is far from irrational. It is purely contextualising what has happened. Rightly or wrongly, these things have much more impact when people can relate to them. I wasn't at the Arena on Monday night but I have been there on a large number of occasions and have often walked through the foyer where the bomb went off. That makes it much easier to picture what happened, know the kind of people who would be affected and, yes, to think "that could have been me or one of my family".

A valid point - however I see it as irrational, of course we have a connection with the atrocity, and we're trying to come to terms with it - some of us are even helping out; but to say that if it wasn't for the grace of god that at another point in time later it could have been so-and-so is overextending the link to beyond its range of elasticity.

Peace and Love.