Physical team instead of fancy football

2 hours ago, lalalajpkalala said:

Beyond Tope and a couple of goalkeepers (which I think will take us to 20 professionals signed up), I can't see much more activity myself.

A left back will be signed.

Why not have a side that can do a bit of both?

If you have a team of meat heads that can't pass a ball not only will it be ugly to watch but more importantly they won't create chances or score enough goals. If you have a team of fancy footballers they will probably concede too many goals and have a soft centre.

The current squad has Clarke Gerrard, Fane, Holloway, Davies all give us plenty of muscle if it gets physical. Interms of creativity we have Ryan McLaughlin who is our most exciting player currently to watch and Banks and Flynn who do a little bit but probably could do a bit more and Gardiner whom I'm going to reserve judgement on until atleast 10 minutes into his debut :tongue1: . I think once Tope signs aswell we probably need another flair player to give us another creative option.

We also have Gerrard, Clarke, Green, Wilson, and Now Davies who are all over 30, which gives us that experiences and steadiness in our dressing room. I'd like to see us sign some younger players to go with them who can offer running and energy to the team aswell. Sheridan I think likes a balanced style of play and if we have a balanced squad we should do alright. 

If Gardner plays it has to be a passing game, he wants the ball to his feet and I think that's how we will shape up.

Shez will still want some physical players in the team though for the right balance.

Edited by BP1960

42 minutes ago, ajw65 said:

It seems unbelievable that they won't give Connor a chance.....I wonder what the chances are!!

On a night with Shez recently he said he did not think Connor was ready for the championship yet it would do him more harm than good.

3 hours ago, ajw65 said:

The problem with winning ugly is the grief the team will get from our larger than average 'moaning section'.

It is not good for morale - we need to be fully behind whatever way Shez wants us to play...he wants us out of this god forsaken league as much as we all want it and he needs our full support at all times....by the way youngen, that is very harsh on Banks....he definitely came to the fore last season when he was given guidance and direction and I'm sure will do again this season.....he is a quality 'ball' player...

Was meant as a point at some of the cowardly acts he committed last season, dives, poor tackles etc. And by association is not a physical player! I dont expect him to be a bully, he can do just fine as the ball player. I still think we need a better Defensive mid than Fane alongside him though, someone who can bollock him and others like Tope/Flynn when they arent tracking or doing their job and be a leader from midfield.

4 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Fane has arguably got the most potential in the whole squad and could kick on massively.....

If Fane could cut the 'silly' fouls that he seems to give away and cos of the shear number he commits, the bookings, I agree Harry, I think we could have a right player on our hands..

Edited by ajw65

2 hours ago, ajw65 said:

If Fane could cut the 'silly' fouls that he seems to give away and cos of the shear number he commits, the bookings, I agree Harry, I think we could have a right player on our hands..

To be fair he was doing the tackling for three or four at times last season.

3 hours ago, ajw65 said:

Try making that many tackles in 90 minutes and see how many you get wrong

3 hours ago, ajw65 said:

If Fane could cut the 'silly' fouls that he seems to give away and cos of the shear number he commits, the bookings, I agree Harry, I think we could have a right player on our hands

Edited by ajw65