Physical team instead of fancy football

Davies and Holloway up top, Gerrard and Clarke at the back, are we shaping up to be a big physical team with a couple of neat players chucked in ala Bradford/Millwall with the core of our current squad. (Admittedly we still have Banks the coward)!

I have said for years you need two big strikers, one who can finish and 2 nippy wingers with decent delivery in a team packed with bullies to get out of this league. Just need the wingers

I'd take a season of a Ronnie Moore/Dave Penney tactical hybrid if it meant that we got out of this league via promotion. We can do tippy tappy pretty football once we're established in the Championship if needs be. 

We've had 20 years of relative dross with the odd bright spot, let's try to win very ugly and if it gets results so be it. If you want entertainment then go to the circus.

The problem with winning ugly is the grief the team will get from our larger than average 'moaning section'.

It is not good for morale - we need to be fully behind whatever way Shez wants us to play...he wants us out of this god forsaken league as much as we all want it and he needs our full support at all times....by the way youngen, that is very harsh on Banks....he definitely came to the fore last season when he was given guidance and direction and I'm sure will do again this season.....he is a quality 'ball' player...

Shez said several times last season that he wants to play more expansive attacking football, but the situation we were in and the state of the pitch meant that wasn't the best approach at the time.

Whilst the Davies signing might signal a more rugged approach, the Gardner signing signals the opposite.

I reckon he probably wants a squad that can play both ways.

In the back of his mind he'll be thinking that, come January, we'll probably be playing home games on a cabbage patch again.

Not sure about the cabbage patch....the club have finally done something about the pitch and having spoke to one of the groundstaff, they are quietly confident this season will be different...

Holloway did a fantastic job holding it up on his own on our 'cabbage patch' pitch - but he is a far better player than just that - imagine what we could get out of him on a decent pitch!

6 minutes ago, bozman said:

Shez said several times last season that he wants to play more expansive attacking football, but the situation we were in and the state of the pitch meant that wasn't the best approach at the time.

Whilst the Davies signing might signal a more rugged approach, the Gardner signing signals the opposite.

I reckon he probably wants a squad that can play both ways.

In the back of his mind he'll be thinking that, come January, we'll probably be playing home games on a cabbage patch again.

The pitch looks fantastic at the moment, yes, I know looks can be deceiving.  At least lets give them a chance though.... yes, again, I know its not the OWTB way.

19 minutes ago, ajw65 said:

The problem with winning ugly is the grief the team will get from our larger than average 'moaning section'.

It is not good for morale - we need to be fully behind whatever way Shez wants us to play...he wants us out of this god forsaken league as much as we all want it and he needs our full support at all times....by the way youngen, that is very harsh on Banks....he definitely came to the fore last season when he was given guidance and direction and I'm sure will do again this season.....he is a quality 'ball' player...

I agree with most of what you say, but to say we have a larger than average moaning section is wrong. You only have to look at other clubs forums or go to the away games, to see it is pretty much the same everywhere else.

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Bit harsh on Banks. He's no world beater but a team of ten outfield bruisers would be a fairly joyless watch. Give Fane the Keane job and get Banks - or Gardner, if Banks isn't up to it - to focus on creating and scoring.

And/or Flynn...

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

And/or Flynn...

Correct.....I actually forgot about Flynn...all told - if we can get the positions sorted we all know about AND get a pitch that will help our ball players - we should only be looking one way..

One things for sure, it's got to be a lot more positive than we've all been used to!!

44 minutes ago, Crusoe said:
2 hours ago, youngen said:

I have said for years you need two big strikers, one who can finish 

The fact that it'll stick up top with those two there will contribute to us conceding very few again in my eyes. 

I think one or both of Holloway & Davies can get double figures but maybe low double figures - a lot of goals will come from midfield this season from Banks, Gardner and Flynn being able to run onto knock downs & layoffs while Fane or Green sit....

I can't fucking wait. :grin::lol:

2 minutes ago, ajw65 said:

Correct.....I actually forgot about Flynn...all told - if we can get the positions sorted we all know about AND get a pitch that will help our ball players - we should only be looking one way..

One things for sure, it's got to be a lot more positive than we've all been used to!!

Also, with all the talk of more wingers don't forget Flynn can play wide. Once Tope signs up I'm not sure we'll be as desperate for another as some make out...

Both McLaughlin & Dummigan can do it on the right aswell. 

Edited by HarryBosch

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Also, with all the talk of more wingers don't forget Flynn can play wide. Once Tope signs up I'm not sure we'll be as desperate for another as some make out...

Beyond Tope and a couple of goalkeepers (which I think will take us to 20 professionals signed up), I can't see much more activity myself.

8 minutes ago, lalalajpkalala said:

Beyond Tope and a couple of goalkeepers (which I think will take us to 20 professionals signed up), I can't see much more activity myself.

I'm sure Shez said 6 new faces - that'll leave one more. 

I still expect somebody to leave though. Possibly Flynn as we might get money for him. 

43 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Could be a big big season for McLaughin. ....and if he fires, I think the team fires...

Edited by ajw65

6 minutes ago, ajw65 said:

Could be a big big season for McLaughin. ....and if he fires, I think the team fires...

Thinking about it he did alright upfront too didn't he. I'd imagine Shez intends to use him there again at least once or twice....

If Tope does sign that could be it for "forwards".

If only one of Holloway or Davies is available Tope, McLaughlin or even Flynn could play off either of them...

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I'm sure Shez said 6 new faces - that'll leave one more. 

I still expect somebody to leave though. Possibly Flynn as we might get money for him. 

Really Harry ? Who'd be daft enough to pay for feeble Flynn ? I can see him going but I don't see us getting money for him. 

54 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sheridan sides don't play fancy football, haven't done for a while.

We played much more attractive football than we'd been used to the last two times he came here. His previous spell featured the best football since I could drink legally.

9 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

They deserve all they get 3 million for Westwood. Come on Shez make the call. 

It seems unbelievable that they won't give Connor a chance.....I wonder what the chances are!!