Rare shirt Ian Marshall auctioning off for Cancer Research

32 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

As much as I like Marshall, I don't think his signature has added anything to the value of the shirt. It's a rare, retro and wearable shirt. It'd have done better without.

Harsh.

A signed Bovis shirt from the Portman Road game would surely be worth more than a standard one?

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Wasn't that in reference to Robert Maxwell of Mirror Group.....am I dreaming this or did his name appear on the shirt for just one game?

Yes and was more than one game.  Local sponsor given the Mirror's presence in Hollinwood at the time.  i think we had different home and away sponsors at the time

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes and was more than one game.  Local sponsor given the Mirror's presence in Hollinwood at the time.  i think we had different home and away sponsors at the time

We did. 1988/89 season. We had Lees for home shirts, and Maxwell for away (in both red and blue versions). Incidentally I acquired a blue Maxwell one with No. 5 on the back when I was a schoolkid hanging around Sheepfoot lane. I can't quite recall how I got hold of it but I definitely maybe didn't nick it, honest. Anyway My dad maybe definitely nicked it off me for his five-a-side football nights and it got ruined.

Speaking of sponsors, didn't we have Martins sponsoring us in the 1987-88 season (when we first switched to Umbro) or did I dream that one?

On 01/08/2017 at 11:00 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

We did. 1988/89 season. We had Lees for home shirts, and Maxwell for away (in both red and blue versions). Incidentally I acquired a blue Maxwell one with No. 5 on the back when I was a schoolkid hanging around Sheepfoot lane. I can't quite recall how I got hold of it but I definitely maybe didn't nick it, honest. Anyway My dad maybe definitely nicked it off me for his five-a-side football nights and it got ruined.

Speaking of sponsors, didn't we have Martins sponsoring us in the 1987-88 season (when we first switched to Umbro) or did I dream that one?

87/88 we had no sponsor until a one off sponsor was found for a highlights appearance v Leeds United in R3 replay of the Littlewoods Cup on Sports Night.

'Health First' was the sponsor Alan Hardy found at the last minute. The next game we reverted to no sponsor.

from the Spurs FAC game in January we acquired Martins Motor Group until the end of the season.