Shoot on sight policy?

In the Bury game thread BP1960 wondered if Richie has initiated a “shoot on sight” policy with the team.

As I am on a long train journey home from New Haven I did a bit of data crunching:

10 games under John Sheridan (League and League Cup - BBC doesn’t have stats on the Checkatrade) saw us average 9.3 shots per game, of which we got 3.2 on target.

6 league games under Richie Wellens has seen us increase that to 14.66 (57% increase) and 6.33 (97% increase).

Clearly something has changed and that may well be a “stop faffing about and get your shots off when you can” instruction.

Explains why we are the entertainers of the Division with 55 goals in our 15 league games.  In fact total goals per game, we are second only to Manchester City in the entire football pyramid*

Its bloody good fun.

* off to stick a tenner on 0-0 on Saturday now

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You could argue that we are creating more shooting opportunities than previous teams have.

Davies also had several good long range attempts on goal and Byrne likes a pot shot. Queensy looks as though he's been told to beat a man and have a crack at goal.

Ironically, the one who should be shooting more is Gardner, who can score piledrivers yet is now preferring  to pass the ball. 

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Davies also had several good long range attempts on goal and Byrne likes a pot shot. Queensy looks as though he's been told to beat a man and have a crack at goal.

Ironically, the one who should be shooting more is Gardner, who can score piledrivers yet is now preferring  to pass the ball. 

I agree he had a few lined up, I was thinking just shoot!

9 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Highlight of yesterday was Fane on the edge of the box ....

.... and if anyone should of pulled the trigger, it was him! he'd already done all of the hard work getting to that point.

A goal would be a massive confidence boost - and a very worthy reward for all his hard work.