Wellens

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strikes me that he is being a bit unrealistic about our ability to bring players in. We are a very shit league 1 club with a woeful home support. 

Appreciate his frustrations (we were close to some decent signings) but he needs to apply a bit of pragmatism.

He should have enough in that team to keep them in league one. If he fails it's a bad reflection on him.

4 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Just watched it. I like the man, I am 100% beind him but as someone else said in another thread came across very Dunn esque (albeit minus the smug arrogance).

I finished thinking put your dummy back in and crack on with what you’ve got. The talent is there they’ve shown it 

It's a hard place to come back from, once you have spat your dummy out.  He's been around the club long enough to know how it ticks - everything that's happened to him so far can't be a massive surprise.  We need a manager who doesn't get too excited when things are going well and not too despondent when the chips are down. The fact that he doesn't seem to be able to hide his frustrations is a concern.

21 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

I think we’d all feel a bit down if we spent 14 hours in the office, not getting 3 quality players.

I agree Johnny, but it's part of the job to not let it show and not hint at being unhappy with the current players if you are stuck with them. 

He's obviously learning and going to make mistakes, hopefully he is learning from them. 

And experienced Asst Mgr (maybe  it an ex manager) could have helped with this situation, been there good cop etc. 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

I think we’d all feel a bit down if we spent 14 hours in the office, not getting 3 quality players.

I dunno - I just think it's better if frustrations like that are kept private.  He's got to put a bit more of a positive spin on it in front of the cameras.  Showing your hand so readily is surely only going to give our opponents a boost (unless he's playing very elaborate mind-games..).

He's also been a bit down for a while..

Can you blame him? He says he wants to turn the mentality and culture of the club around and is hampered at every turn.

I’d much rather we have a manager who is honest and see through than someone who is monotone and churns out the verbatim statements that most other managers make, see Robinson, Kelly, Shez.

The man was a winner in his playing career, a recent career not one 20years ago. He knows what is needed to get us out of this league.

Do you think if Scholes had been given the job and then experienced this he would have been any different to Wellens? Of course he wouldn’t, he would probably have walked.

If we didn’t have to pay all these rubbish foreigners wages (Omrani & Maouche on 2yr deals for example) we could have given Matt Mills an extra year on his deal  - a defender who has played all his career in the championship and we could have sealed a deal with Devante Cole - a proven goal scorer in this league rather than allow Fleetwood to tout him around.  These players have gone to Barnsley and Wigan and we could have had them.

Then add on players getting injured on a bog of a pitch and regularly being unable to train on said pitch and there’s a recipe for failure. 

Wellens sees these players every day, not just what they do at 3pm on a Saturday. If they’ve not got the mentality that he believes is needed and wants to bring in players who do then we have to trust him and back him not criticise and doubt. 

The magnitude of the job at hand has hit home for him. Managing a team with financial restrictions and a small, grumpy fan-base long-starved of success, was never going to be a bed of roses and possibly the real reason why Scholes does not want the role. He is young, still learning as he goes along and doing so without an experienced shoulder to lean on. His footballing recipe was working...it went wrong and I think we can all see how the wheels came off. 

I truly hope Wellens can pull himself together and work with the players to put this right...avoid relegation and build from there. If not, and if Lemsagam does not get rid of him, then the club starts again in League Two. It's not impossible and before all the doom mongers tell me I am wrong and how it will be the death-knell of the club...don't even bother, because I am not listening to you.

13 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Can you blame him? He says he wants to turn the mentality and culture of the club around and is hampered at every turn.

I’d much rather we have a manager who is honest and see through than someone who is monotone and churns out the verbatim statements that most other managers make, see Robinson, Kelly, Shez.

The man was a winner in his playing career, a recent career not one 20years ago. He knows what is needed to get us out of this league.

Do you think if Scholes had been given the job and then experienced this he would have been any different to Wellens? Of course he wouldn’t, he would probably have walked.

If we didn’t have to pay all these rubbish foreigners wages (Omrani & Maouche on 2yr deals for example) we could have given Matt Mills an extra year on his deal  - a defender who has played all his career in the championship and we could have sealed a deal with Devante Cole - a proven goal scorer in this league rather than allow Fleetwood to tout him around.  These players have gone to Barnsley and Wigan and we could have had them.

Then add on players getting injured on a bog of a pitch and regularly being unable to train on said pitch and there’s a recipe for failure. 

Wellens sees these players every day, not just what they do at 3pm on a Saturday. If they’ve not got the mentality that he believes is needed and wants to bring in players who do then we have to trust him and back him not criticise and doubt. 

Robinson regularly (every week from day 1) said we should be bottom of the league 

why does everyone keep saying “foreigners” like that in itself is automatically a negative?

bet City are furious Augero isn’t English 

Kuqui, Pogliacomi, Stam, Wijnhard, Kusunga, Lanzoni were all “foreign” they did ok for us as did Gunnar Halle 

3 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Robinson regularly (every week from day 1) said we should be bottom of the league 

why does everyone keep saying “foreigners” like that in itself is automatically a negative?

Kuqui, Pogliacomi, Stam, Wijnhard, Kusunga, Lanzoni were all “foreign” they did ok for us as did Gunnar Halle 

It's people seeing an agenda, where there isn't one.

1 hour ago, Buckshawlatic said:

How about because Wellens hasn’t tried to sign a foreign player, every player he has wanted has been British or  Irish. 

Every foreign player who has come to the club since he’s been here has been brought in by AL and not him.

Yes he’s played some of them but Placide only because the other two were dire. Nepo has fallen out of favour as time has gone on and he didn’t rate Menig.

foreigners are not negative it’s just they ones we have aren’t very good and the manager seems to want players who aren’t foreign

3 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

How about because Wellens hasn’t tried to sign a foreign player, every player he has wanted has been British or  Irish. 

Every foreign player who has come to the club since he’s been here has been brought in by AL and not him.

Yes he’s played some of them but Placide only because the other two were dire. Nepo has fallen out of favour as time has gone on and he didn’t rate Menig.

foreigners are not negative it’s just they ones we have aren’t very good and the manager seems to want players who aren’t foreign

Both Doyle and Mckeleney are from the Republic of Ireland - non Uk means foreign and he wanted both 

Just now, Buckshawlatic said:

Or factual 

Touché, but you know what I mean.

A Wellens team full of players he wants on a proper playing surface both in games and training would easily be top half bordering on the play offs.

However therein lies the problem in that it’s doubtful he will ever get those circumstances 

4 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Touché, but you know what I mean.

A Wellens team full of players he wants on a proper playing surface both in games and training would easily be top half bordering on the play offs.

However therein lies the problem in that it’s doubtful he will ever get those circumstances 

Which manager EVER gets that outside of the top 6 in the Prem?.  What on Earth are you talking about?  A team FULL of players he wants.... Christ almighty. 

59 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Which manager EVER gets that outside of the top 6 in the Prem?.  What on Earth are you talking about?  A team FULL of players he wants.... Christ almighty. 

As opposed to having players thrust on him by the chairman? Players whose wages reduce the budget available for players Wellens wants.

Any manager who is at a club for a few years will be able to build a starting XI that he wants. Wellens has only been here half a season so without doubt has players he wouldn’t necessarily play if he had other options.

It’s not difficult to have a training pitch in good condition and there’s an ever increasing number of clubs in our league whose pitches hold up through the winter.

If we relaid our pitch this summer which it’s well documented needs to happen, we would be able to play the way Wellens wants us to, hopefully with players he feels can do what he asks.

Guest Stanley30

Not only do foreigner players get a negative press on here. It appears anyone not born on sheepfoot lane does.

then again this is Oldham so I shouldn’t be surprised 

8 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Can’t disagree with any of this. He’s a bright, young manager who wants to be successful. The fact that we could have got 2 players in who Barnsley and Wigan feel are good enough for their squads is a good sign in a way, but Wellens is obviously frustrated that the powers that be couldn’t push the boat out for at least one of them.

I think he’s potentially got a good future as a manager, the way that he got the team playing earlier in the season shows that.

Every manager though is really only as good as his players, and unfortunately we don’t have a strong enough group.

RW recognises that of course. He could be at the wrong club if we can’t match his ambitions.

24 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Can’t disagree with any of this. He’s a bright, young manager who wants to be successful. The fact that we could have got 2 players in who Barnsley and Wigan feel are good enough for their squads is a good sign in a way, but Wellens is obviously frustrated that the powers that be couldn’t push the boat out for at least one of them.

I think he’s potentially got a good future as a manager, the way that he got the team playing earlier in the season shows that.

Every manager though is really only as good as his players, and unfortunately we don’t have a strong enough group.

RW recognises that of course. He could be at the wrong club if we can’t match his ambitions.

This is probably the best group of players I’ve seen at Latics in over a decade.

It’s up to RW to get them playing as a team and he has had us doing but now it’s been too many games where we’ve been shite.

Needs to get us going again very soon or he’ll be gone.