Local Legends!

Do any of the lot who've been based in Rochdale remember the bloke who used to sing and dance whilst listening to a cassette which had no front cover to it and no tape playing. He used to be famous for his air guitar dance style and more often than not belted out Bruce Springstein hits. He could generally be found in the bus station from the mid 90's to early 00's and i'm lead to believe in the 80's he was based outside the old ABC cinema which is now the Regal Moon.

He was called Ian. Everyone only knew this for the sole reason he more often than not, wore a t-shirt with the words "my name is Ian"

Anyone have a clue what happened to him?

Did Oldham or anywhere else for that matter have anyone quite like him. I know there's the one man band bloke in Manchester, but Ian was in a different league - purely because he did it whilst not having a care in the world that most people thought he was a bit of a nutcase. Not me however, he was the local legend in mine and many other Daley's eyes. Used to get the bus from school even though I didnt even need to, purely so I could go into town and see if he was there belting another of his classic terribly sung hits. "Born in the U.S.A"

come to Glossop it's full of strange people, like dancing guy whose about 50 and dances like John Travolta in what is now Glossops only club and I mean he really gets into it, he's bald wears the same long sleeved T-shirt tucked into his jeans and crocodile shoes

come to Glossop it's full of strange people, like dancing guy whose about 50 and dances like John Travolta in what is now Glossops only club and I mean he really gets into it, he's bald wears the same long sleeved T-shirt tucked into his jeans and crocodile shoes

My sister has lived over that way (Glossop, Hadfield, Padfield), and I agree there are some weird folks there. They didn't film League of Gentlemen there for no reason!

Do any of the lot who've been based in Rochdale remember the bloke who used to sing and dance whilst listening to a cassette which had no front cover to it and no tape playing. He used to be famous for his air guitar dance style and more often than not belted out Bruce Springstein hits. He could generally be found in the bus station from the mid 90's to early 00's and i'm lead to believe in the 80's he was based outside the old ABC cinema which is now the Regal Moon.

I have spent many hours in that queue listening to him singing Springstein.

I remember him well! Don't know what happened to him, but I know somebody who might...

Not another embarrasing ex of your Mrs? :shock:

A Royton/Oldham equivalent would be Nutty Nigel. He must have been the world's leading authority on the Greater Manchester bus system. He spent all of his spare time travelling on them in a parka type coat and could reel off how to get from anywhere to anywhere.

Not another embarrasing ex of your Mrs? :shock:

A Royton/Oldham equivalent would be Nutty Nigel. He must have been the world's leading authority on the Greater Manchester bus system. He spent all of his spare time travelling on them in a parka type coat and could reel off how to get from anywhere to anywhere.

Nutty Nigel. Hahahaha! How could I forget him.

He's still about on those very buses. Especially the 409 as he lives near Tandle Hills. The kids nowadays give him so much abuse. It's funny how he'll talk to absolutely anyone - only about buses mind you. I remember one particular bus journey when he plonked himself next to this elderly woman and started a conversation about what bus she'd need to catch and how long it'd take her to get to Burnley. She hadnt even said a word to him. :grin: She got off a few stops later and I honestly dont think it's quite where she was needing to get off.

Best bit is how he says hello to the entire bus when he gets on and then waves like a madman when he gets off to whoever he's cordoned into listening to him for what seems an eternity.

However, he's not as creepy as one of the 409 regulars who I think is a bit slow. He turns to absolutely everyone on the bus and says "Hello" and looking like he wants to start a conversation. If he's sat next to someone he'll just stare at them. If people sell Hello back, he doesnt have a single reply to it. I honestly dont think he's ever used more than the word Hello in his life.

Nutty Nigel. Hahahaha! How could I forget him.

He's still about on those very buses. Especially the 409 as he lives near Tandle Hills. The kids nowadays give him so much abuse. It's funny how he'll talk to absolutely anyone - only about buses mind you. I remember one particular bus journey when he plonked himself next to this elderly woman and started a conversation about what bus she'd need to catch and how long it'd take her to get to Burnley. She hadnt even said a word to him. :grin: She got off a few stops later and I honestly dont think it's quite where she was needing to get off.

Best bit is how he says hello to the entire bus when he gets on and then waves like a madman when he gets off to whoever he's cordoned into listening to him for what seems an eternity.

However, he's not as creepy as one of the 409 regulars who I think is a bit slow. He turns to absolutely everyone on the bus and says "Hello" and looking like he wants to start a conversation. If he's sat next to someone he'll just stare at them. If people sell Hello back, he doesnt have a single reply to it. I honestly dont think he's ever used more than the word Hello in his life.

How come every time I get any form of public transport, that's the sort of person who sits next to me?! :unsure:

Around 2000, Royton was unlucky enough to have Jonny the tramp appear on the streets. He stayed around a few years too.

With his crazy tap dances in the middle of the road, general abuse of anybody who dared look at him and also using any part of the pavement as a bed I was glad when he disappeared. There were a few rumours about where he had ended up. Dead, bottom block, got a house (ha!) etc.

Then a few weeks ago, I was driving past Scooby's in Royton and there he was! Jumped out in the road, car in front slammed on, an impromptu dance began and seconds later he was off!!!

I now walk the streets of Royton dreading the moment I see him.

That rings a bell. Where did he lurk?

Harold Wilson :D

I used to go to St anselms, and when we used to sneak out at dinner time and go to the chippy, we used to see him 'lurking' around the coppice area!

He was dead funny!!!!

He used to chase you down the street, i even remember him 'scoffing' a big handful of what looked like ham before trying to throw it 500yards down the road at us....quality :grin:

Just out of idle curiosity like, have any of you lot ventured into the Arndale in Middleton, any day of the week really !

Why Stipey, is that your new venue of choice for ranting unintelligably at passers by about how it all used to be fields round there?

What about the bloke who walks round Oldham town centre singing to his walkman everyday.

Anyone know who I mean?

He walks & sings, and walks & sings...every day

Yeh i've seen him a few times :lol: You see dozens of characters around Oldham town centre everyday though, probably all from diggle B)

Why Stipey, is that your new venue of choice for ranting unintelligably at passers by about how it all used to be fields round there?

kinell you can read me like a book LL, how'd you guess :blink:

Actually the site where the Arndale is hasn't been fields for a long time, however it was where there was a pleasant main thoroughfare with local shops for local people leading to the smashing central gardens which would have been a riot of colour at this time of year (I can still remember both). Alas they built the Arndale, but thats progress for you, here endeth the history lesson. :)

Oh and in the course of me business I met one of the architects who designed the Arndale, he said "oh you're from Middleton, I helped design the Arndale" and then after a pause "you're not going to hit me are you" and chuckled away to himself, the Alan B'stard.

Edited by StipeTripe