A True Leader (of the fans) is Needed - and Quickly

17 hours ago, Barryowen said:

"Perhaps Peter you would highlight with the knowledge you assume to have, what are the negative things I did that were harmful to the club.

it very easy to make general statement but please come up with those areas where you feel I damaged the club.

I have already stated my position for the future whilst this regime are around.

There are a lot of people at the moment prepared to put themselves  forward to resolve issues with the owner and his brother.  

I wish everyone well in those respects. People will either make use of my experience or knowledge but like it or not I know exactly how the Lemsagam’s think and react in various situations.

Your clearly feel strongly about you perceive was my input for the club over 17 years but that thankyou for keeping your comments civil and respectful."

Thanks for reply Barry, and thanks for engaging at such a critical time. Appreciate the insight into the club you're prividing at the moment. Others have mentioned briefly here the various issues fans have had with you, and I'd share those. I don't especiially want to get into a specific list of how I feel you've damaged the club, as ultimately it's pointless at the moment. That may sound like a cop-out, but I've no interest in going over the past right now. I would repeat that I wouldn't want you involved in any official capacity with the club any more, nor does it sound like you want to. And nor would the vast majority of fans . I'd like to see some highly professional experenced football people running the club, and with respect, I've just never seen you as that. And all this going on the offence or defence which you seem to be doing a lot recently is a bit odd, and just looks like a PR exercise to exorcise mistakes of the past. And if it is - fair f*cks. Cos you need it. But you're not helping by going on mad rants accusing GlossopLatic of being Neil Joy or weird late night tweet rambles againts people you've had issues with in the past. But that is by the by. Passions are running as high as they've ever been, and we all say silly things sometimes.

I did respect you going onto the podcast and engaing with Matt and I respect you're a fan. As I said - I do think you could help the club in some way in the future.

So let's focus on the practicalities of what can be done at the moment - protests, getting the Lemmys out, finding potential buyers etc.

I've offered my services if I can help in any way with the trust, as well as the PTB lads, so perhaps we'll cross paths at some point in the future, and I'd like to focus on what we can do going foward rather than going over any issues I've had previously with you or anyone else.  We can only do this unified and in solidarity with each other. And we will do this..

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Barryowen said:

I keep in touch with Joe Royle and I can tell you that he  is very upset about the current situation at the club. Joe is always happy to help but I don’t think he would want to front matters in a manner people might expect.

He is also about to make a return to the game and suspect he will have little spare time.

Dave_og. I often read your intelligent and well thought out posts ,but have to disappoint you that my leaving the club was   Not directly “connected” to Karl Evans. You do me a great dis-service by implying that someone in his position could be responsible.

I think I may have covered this issue in other posts but will repeat it to make it clear for those who might be remotely interested.

I think Mr Evans might agree that we will never be on each others Christmas Card list. Whilst Directors were not consulted , I did not agree with his appointment and never will.

Some of my many concerns have come to fruition but it is the owner who makes the choices.

I am certain Mr Evans had similar reservations about my presence in the club and only time will tell if he makes a success of his position. That is for others to decide because Abdallah has put him in sole charge of the Club.

I  am certain fans have made their decisions already but please be aware, Karl

Evans is working in extremely difficult circumstances. Despite my personal views, in lots of matter ,he will be expected to tow the line and take responsibility for the action of others were he has not had any control.

His role in some matters will have been pre-determined for him so please be aware his situation is not easy. 

Someone has mentioned what suddenly started changing after 3 years with these people.

Abdallah changed a great deal and was visually different after his father died. He previously had a level of control that was mainly acceptable and some tolerance had to be given to him given his massive investment and eagerness for the club to succeed .

Covid and his continued absence have been a disaster in my eyes. On many occasions he had tried to be fair and as I have said previously ,in himself he is a thoroughly decent guy. His  current ideas of running a football club and business generally differ from mine.

Family ties in key club positions have been his downfall, but despite numerous reminders he fails to accept the consequences of his inaction.

As I have mentioned previously my breakdown with them coincides with changes to the infra structure of the club, relationships with outside agencies, the ongoing deterioration of welfare and the treatment of staff. Ongoing financial strategy changes , which I challenged regularly, suggested to me that the club was heading for oblivion.

They would tell you that I was a trouble causer because I dare stand up up for staff and sponsors in well reported circumstances.

I hope this helps. Please come back if I can help further.

How comes fans saw that AL was bad for the club months, if not years, before you? 

AL in my opinion, came in to our Club thinking with a little push in the right direction with the players he could bring in, Oldham would be propelled to the championship. I think many at the club went with this. They saw the possible  end to the never ending mediocrity of the Corney era. There was a massive change in AL after the plan went the opposite way.  After relegation, it was clear there was no money. The club was ruthlessly changed to try to manage without any financial input from AL.  IMO AL has put relatively little money into the club since then. I can understand that it would have been something which took a year or two for club insiders to see.

We fans were focused on the deteriorating performances and relegation. We knew ALMO were going to be bad for the club when we saw the poor players brought in. We “knew” very early on. 

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

AL in my opinion, came in to our Club thinking with a little push in the right direction with the players he could bring in, Oldham would be propelled to the championship. I think many at the club went with this. They saw the possible  end to the never ending mediocrity of the Corney era. There was a massive change in AL after the plan went the opposite way.  After relegation, it was clear there was no money. The club was ruthlessly changed to try to manage without any financial input from AL.  IMO AL has put relatively little money into the club since then. I can understand that it would have been something which took a year or two for club insiders to see.

We fans were focused on the deteriorating performances and relegation. We knew ALMO were going to be bad for the club when we saw the poor players brought in. We “knew” very early on. 

That’s an interesting take and I think you make some good points 

@Barryowen You do appear to have gone from years of ‘Shock and Awe’ to now trying to ‘Win hearts and minds’ 
I think you could try till you were red in the fleece but for most on this forum you are fighting a losing battle.

If you truly are looking just to help to get our club into capable hands with your inside knowledge I’m sure those such as PTB and BPAS would welcome any ammunition that you can supply.

I don’t know how old you are now Barry but if you were a member of my family I would be urging you to slow down and please try to look after your health, try to let go of some of the obvious stress that comes across in your communications.

10 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Think joe is too old to be fronting this kinda thing. Maybe a one off speech to reunite the fans.

I'd follow him over the edge of a cliff, but, i agree. He's not going to want to get embroiled in this shit show, not at his age, unless there is a consortium in place that might benefit from a few months of him heading it up.  

Archived