Help with information about the Lottery

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

Chill out mate. It’s just a view. And one shared by others. 

I assure you that if the trust appeals for money just to go into a rainy day fund with no ambition to proactively use that fund as a force for good (there is a material difference) then it won’t get far. 

Let’s see how it plays out shall we.

Hi Andy,

I think at the time of deciding that name there was still the possibility of having to work with the owner for permission to use of various parts of the ground. There are also a significant tranche of people that don't believe fan ownership will ever work it's trying to bind everyone together we're divided and conquered at the moment.

I'm not in a position to decide, but if it's not a Contingency Fund I'd be interest what would you call it?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OASF1895 Lottery said:

Hi Andy,

I think at the time of deciding that name there was still the possibility of having to work with the owner for permission to use of various parts of the ground. There are also a significant tranche of people that don't believe fan ownership will ever work it's trying to bind everyone together we're divided and conquered at the moment.

I'm not in a position to decide, but if it's not a Contingency Fund I'd be interest what would you call it?

Appreciate competing views.

it’s not about the name, it is about the purpose behind asking fans to part with money, what bank balance we want to achieve and how that fund is intended to be proactively used as a force for good. 

To reiterate, any campaign to raise money to sit in a bank until we have a need for it won’t engage people as a rule. 

What is the end we seek?

A local scout group might ask for money to fund the replacement of a leaking roof on its scout hut. A clear end which people will gladly donate to. If the same scout group asked for money in case they needed to make repairs at a point in the future, am sure you would find the fund raising activities would be less successful. 

Our fund raising effort needs some animation and a proper consideration of what might be possible with a 7 figure bank balance. 

On the name - I’d give it a name which conveys that the fund is vehicle for fans having some increased control of its club and all the benefits which come with that. That might not be outright ownership of the club itself.

However, that has to be authentic and not misleading. Sat alongside it there must be some sort of outline implementation strategy (a route map to achieving that end) which reflects that purpose - that’s the hard bit. Without that, the name has limited legitimacy 

8 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Appreciate competing views.

it’s not about the name, it is about the purpose behind asking fans to part with money, what bank balance we want to achieve and how that fund is intended to be proactively used as a force for good. 

To reiterate, any campaign to raise money to sit in a bank until we have a need for it won’t engage people as a rule. 

What is the end we seek?

A local scout group might ask for money to fund the replacement of a leaking roof on its scout hut. A clear end which people will gladly donate to. If the same scout group asked for money in case they needed to make repairs at a point in the future, am sure you would find the fund raising activities would be less successful. 

Our fund raising effort needs some animation and a proper consideration of what might be possible with a 7 figure bank balance. 

On the name - I’d give it a name which conveys that the fund is vehicle for fans having some increased control of its club and all the benefits which come with that. That might not be outright ownership of the club itself.

However, that has to be authentic and not misleading. Sat alongside it there must be some sort of outline implementation strategy (a route map to achieving that end) which reflects that purpose - that’s the hard bit. Without that, the name has limited legitimacy 

I'm not sure I  am competing in your views, quite a lot of what you say I agree with! I guess I am saying if there is another name that's better then I'd say call it that.
It's difficult because there can be a multitude of scenarios that would be good. Obviously it has beens stated it's majority shareholding, stadium ownership or both -which doesn't roll of the tongue - but if Jim Ratcliffee came along and said he wanted the OASF shareholding too then that would be minority but you wouldn't say no to that!
Other than that, I'm confident your views have been taken on board.

1 minute ago, OASF1895 Lottery said:

I'm not sure I  am competing in your views, quite a lot of what you say I agree with! I guess I am saying if there is another name that's better then I'd say call it that.
It's difficult because there can be a multitude of scenarios that would be good. Obviously it has beens stated it's majority shareholding, stadium ownership or both -which doesn't roll of the tongue - but if Jim Ratcliffee came along and said he wanted the OASF shareholding too then that would be minority but you wouldn't say no to that!
Other than that, I'm confident your views have been taken on board.

Thank you. 

your views don’t compete with mine. Competing views was a reference to the issue of fan ownership.

cheers 

13 minutes ago, OASF1895 Lottery said:

Ah right got you. It is unifying those competing views that is a huge challenge.

Fans need to be asked the question first. Not sure they have been. This is what I suggested in my email to the trust which I refer to above.

the trust needs a mandate from the fans on this 

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

I get what you mean but what happens when you find the floor needs replacing but you have a fund for replacing the roof? They are not the same thing.

There is a phrase-much used over the past couple of years which may convey the kind of thing the fund is trying to do:-

Take back control-I know, I winced when I wrote it but if you make it too specific you tie your hands for the future.

Every organisation needs an emergency fund and a cash reserve its vital for its survival it doesn't have to be for anything right now but the time will come when something happens and shit will hit the fan having a good cash reserve ready will help any problems.

Andy B does make a great and very fair point about raising money for a purpose but right now it doesn't need to have a direct purpose. All that matters is that we have as much cash in the bank as possible. Because at some point probably not too far from now we are going to need that emergency fund for something vital.

52 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I get what you mean but what happens when you find the floor needs replacing but you have a fund for replacing the roof? They are not the same thing.

There is a phrase-much used over the past couple of years which may convey the kind of thing the fund is trying to do:-

Take back control-I know, I winced when I wrote it but if you make it too specific you tie your hands for the future.

Agree that it may need to have a broader purpose than ‘fan ownership’ but the notion of taking back control (also sorry) and raising funds associated with that is significantly more tangible and focused than ‘contingency fund’. I also believe it speaks to people and their aspirations for the club. People’s propensity to put money into the cause will increase as a result 

it conveys the idea that funds are proactively used to create change. Very very different notion to a contingency fund. Again, it’s not just about the name but what the purpose of those funds is. The name is a product of that. You can’t call it a fund to take back control and then allow it to sit there as a contingency. 

24 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Every organisation needs an emergency fund and a cash reserve its vital for its survival it doesn't have to be for anything right now but the time will come when something happens and shit will hit the fan having a good cash reserve ready will help any problems.

Andy B does make a great and very fair point about raising money for a purpose but right now it doesn't need to have a direct purpose. All that matters is that we have as much cash in the bank as possible. Because at some point probably not too far from now we are going to need that emergency fund for something vital.

Chicken and egg though. We need a contingency fund yes. A contingency fund is a worthy cause. 

But I don’t believe that people will pile money into a fund that is simply that however. That’s my point. 

37 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Chicken and egg though. We need a contingency fund yes. A contingency fund is a worthy cause. 

But I don’t believe that people will pile money into a fund that is simply that however. That’s my point. 

But if we save what we can in it now, then 3-6 months down the line we may have that worthy cause for everyone to get behind and pursue it would mean we have a head start on ourselves so yes more people will start donating if it means saving the club from extinction like in 2003 (hopefully it doesn't come to that) or having a bigger share in the Club like you suggest.

Any donations now are only going to be put to good use at some point. I'd rather we save the money now then we can discuss where it goes later.

When I say save money I'm only putting in £1 a week at the moment but even if 2000 people did that then 6 months down the line taking away winnings on the lottery every week you still have a significant figure.

34 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

But if we save what we can in it now, then 3-6 months down the line we may have that worthy cause for everyone to get behind and pursue it would mean we have a head start on ourselves so yes more people will start donating if it means saving the club from extinction like in 2003 (hopefully it doesn't come to that) or having a bigger share in the Club like you suggest.

Any donations now are only going to be put to good use at some point. I'd rather we save the money now then we can discuss where it goes later.

When I say save money I'm only putting in £1 a week at the moment but even if 2000 people did that then 6 months down the line taking away winnings on the lottery every week you still have a significant figure.

Absolutely donate now. But I believe it would be a missed opportunity if over the medium to long term the trusts efforts to build up is cash remain limited to growing its rainy day fund 

23 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Absolutely donate now. But I believe it would be a missed opportunity if over the medium to long term the trusts efforts to build up is cash remain limited to growing its rainy day fund 

I don't see it as a rainy day fund, it's still pretty short term. The aim is ownership/majority and or stadium, but other unforseen eventualities not ruled out. If that is what you are terming rainy day then I'm a bit confused, what should the main immediate money raised be for?

At this stage all the money will go into the same Rescue/Purchase/TBC main 1895 pot.  Anything 1895 will be Contingency Fund/FanOwnership/TBC Fund and the other little bits of revenue like easyfundraising for the OASF admin. The main 1895 fund will comprise basically of Lottery, Pledges, Donations, Bequests and a couple of other projects being worked on. What should that be used for?

19 minutes ago, OASF1895 Lottery said:

I don't see it as a rainy day fund, it's still pretty short term. The aim is ownership/majority and or stadium, but other unforseen eventualities not ruled out. If that is what you are terming rainy day then I'm a bit confused, what should the main immediate money raised be for?

At this stage all the money will go into the same Rescue/Purchase/TBC main 1895 pot.  Anything 1895 will be Contingency Fund/FanOwnership/TBC Fund and the other little bits of revenue like easyfundraising for the OASF admin. The main 1895 fund will comprise basically of Lottery, Pledges, Donations, Bequests and a couple of other projects being worked on. What should that be used for?

That nuance was lost on me. I wasn’t aware of an intention for this to evolve into something more focused. I welcome that. 

6 minutes ago, latics22 said:

300 pound a week isn’t going to get us fa. Can we not shake buckets outside the ground?

Of course there is a long way to go. The lottery was never the main income driver But we're now into 5 figures raised. 

The new website will allow direct donations, pledges and legacies and other methods being worked on. 

I live in a Kent so I'm afraid my efforts will focused on the Lottery. 

2 of the Directors have a stand in the OEC, 

Which leaves only 4, who I'm sure will focus on the donations via the Web, people have very little cash these days. 

I can't see the club allowing buckets on their domain anyway. 

I take your point of a desire for it to be accelerated though. Hopefully people can get behind the donations/pledges and a momentum starts. 

15 hours ago, OASF1895 Lottery said:

Of course there is a long way to go. The lottery was never the main income driver But we're now into 5 figures raised. 

The new website will allow direct donations, pledges and legacies and other methods being worked on. 

Which leaves only 4, who I'm sure will focus on the donations via the Web, people have very little cash these days. 

I take your point of a desire for it to be accelerated though. Hopefully people can get behind the donations/pledges and a momentum starts. 

That was far above missing r, not fuck all by the way. Ok keep up the good work.

23 hours ago, OASF1895 Lottery said:

The medium is not the problem. 

51 minutes ago, Andy b said:

The medium is not the problem. 

Apologies my password needed sorting out and had other stuff going on like a pesky website launch haha.

Andy, when you served there was a proposal made by Mark with regards to a housing projected with OMBC. I think you may have helped Mark with it?

This is still on the cards and built onto the strategy. There has been 2 meetings with OMBC about it. One pre local elections one post. Ombc are interested.

Oldham college are also interested as it would involve hands on experience with them...something college learners lack and need in construction..I should know I worked there.

If we can pull it off it will bring in cash as well as equity and could burst the threshold of a fan owned club going beyond the glass ceiling of league one.

As admin..it scares the bejesus out of me...but with the right skillset and ticking off box of the GMSF housing need. It could be a template for other supporter organisations too.

Website is a massive step in bringing stuff inhouse and secure.

We want all fans to be part of this journey...whether its £1.00 or £1,000 per month payment or one-off "give what you can when you can." 

We have taken advice from foundation of hearts, FSA and independent fan too with regards to pledges....factsheet Will follow.

Possibly next will be "leave a latics legacy". Similar to Canaries Trust.

Stuff the previous board started 12 months ago almost when we were told we were 1 of 12 clubs coming out of covid, that could potentially cease to exist.

12 communities losing their identities and if there was 12 clubs up for sale, what would make us an attractive purchase?

The answer was not good...we have to  "be ready" the best we can.

We have a strategy (yes is adaptive). Its on our hands. 

Cheers

Archived