BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 21st Feb '22 Episode 72: The Shez Affection

Shez and the boys made it three wins and two draws from his first five games in charge, with Latics moving out of the bottom two. We love this man!

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Matt featured this topic

That was an interesting listen, albeit a bit different from what you usually do. I think the gentleman from Detroit was very good value - articulate and on point. 

I've been startled by what has happened since Sheridan came in - I certainly didn't see it coming. But you now have a chance to do something, which wasn't something I thought possible.

The dilemma you are in about the future is interesting, because the direction you have gone in the last few weeks is now very different from the way our story evolved. And I think you are right to feel that, to the extent you are able, you should keep pressure on the club owners to live up to the promises that have been made in the last 2-3 months.

Looking further ahead - to say, the next 18-30 months - it really is important to stay in L2. I think some changes to the ways that money is distributed between EPL and EFL are very likely ; our Trust argued that they should be accompanied by the re-introduction of a salary cap and pro rata re-allocation of parachute payments across all 72 clubs, rather than the gilded few. We made the point that doing these two things together would bring all L1 and L2 clubs up to between around 90-110% of cap without doing anything else and would impose a crude form of parity. I'm sure we won't get all of that, but if we get a move in that direction then clubs like Oldham and Blackpool would benefit significantly.

The discussion about taking a greater (or controlling) share in the club was also interesting. It can certainly be done, and made to work, as Exeter City have shown. Equally, sustaining it can be very hard ; Pompey fans raised around £3m (I think) to take control of their club but have since found that maintaining an appropriate level of investment it is (was) beyond them.  Given the way the finances of the game are currently structured, I find it hard to see a fan-owned club making it beyond L1 ; putting a ceiling of that kind on your ambitions would be a big decision to take.

12 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

That was an interesting listen, albeit a bit different from what you usually do. I think the gentleman from Detroit was very good value - articulate and on point. 

I've been startled by what has happened since Sheridan came in - I certainly didn't see it coming. But you now have a chance to do something, which wasn't something I thought possible.

The dilemma you are in about the future is interesting, because the direction you have gone in the last few weeks is now very different from the way our story evolved. And I think you are right to feel that, to the extent you are able, you should keep pressure on the club owners to live up to the promises that have been made in the last 2-3 months.

Looking further ahead - to say, the next 18-30 months - it really is important to stay in L2. I think some changes to the ways that money is distributed between EPL and EFL are very likely ; our Trust argued that they should be accompanied by the re-introduction of a salary cap and pro rata re-allocation of parachute payments across all 72 clubs, rather than the gilded few. We made the point that doing these two things together would bring all L1 and L2 clubs up to between around 90-110% of cap without doing anything else and would impose a crude form of parity. I'm sure we won't get all of that, but if we get a move in that direction then clubs like Oldham and Blackpool would benefit significantly.

The discussion about taking a greater (or controlling) share in the club was also interesting. It can certainly be done, and made to work, as Exeter City have shown. Equally, sustaining it can be very hard ; Pompey fans raised around £3m (I think) to take control of their club but have since found that maintaining an appropriate level of investment it is (was) beyond them.  Given the way the finances of the game are currently structured, I find it hard to see a fan-owned club making it beyond L1 ; putting a ceiling of that kind on your ambitions would be a big decision to take.

All very good points. The wage cap was voted for by EFL clubs 18 months ago but later lost when the PFA agued correctly that it is a restriction of trade so i don't see the wage cap ever getting anywhere. With regard to keeping the pressure on the owner for what he has promised, I agree but what do we do if no credible buyers have actually come forward? The club is officially up for sale but we've heard nothing from any potential buyers. If they are out there surely it helps if they now make themselves known to help put the pressure on?

Basilrobbie Has made some interesting observations

Oasf April strategy discussed increasing shareholding in club and sustainability of fan ownership.

We decided against increasing shares unless its 51% 

And we believed fan owned had a glass celling of league one. We did have a plan to burst through it, but it's on hold for now

44 minutes ago, underdog said:

Basilrobbie Has made some interesting observations

Oasf April strategy discussed increasing shareholding in club and sustainability of fan ownership.

We decided against increasing shares unless its 51% 

And we believed fan owned had a glass celling of league one. We did have a plan to burst through it, but it's on hold for now

The trust had a plan to burst through it? Do tell.

23 minutes ago, Andy b said:

The trust had a plan to burst through it? Do tell.

Hi Andy,  it was the original housing idea when you were in situ and helping Mark with,  yes that long ago...haha.

Basically, We had made some in-roads with the council with regards to CPO's in Oldham to help ease up on the green-belt grab AKA Places for all initiative and the new local plan due to start consultation soon.

We had Oldham college tentatively interested as a work experience project and a vision with regards to "Get Oldham working" involved too.  We briefed Sean Fielding and Emma Barton before last year's local elections

It would have been houses renovated by local people, for local people. With the profit going to secure not only BP, little wembly but surrounding Plumpton Clough. Protection for BP footprint so to speak

Council have come out since to say they are tapping into a housing loan via the Gov, to purchase CPO's now, so it sort of put this on hold ready for a re-think. 

That is the basics. I know the previous board did some number crunching on it at the time.

Cheers

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived