BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 28th Feb '22 Episode 73: Still more Questions than Answers

7 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

no he really doesn’t - he’s a wind up merchant and a troll and revels in it 

you should see him on Twitter 

I probably average about 3 tweets a week overall on Twitter, poor research from you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

On a different subject well worth listening to the podcast on BBC Sounds about what went o.n with Notts County in the Sven/Sol Campbell era.  'The Trillion Dollar Conman'

Great recommendation and when lessons should have been learnt, they weren't. Least of all the EFL and to hear the lawyer laughing in episode 3 is sickening.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:51 PM, deyres42 said:

Slightly disconcerting to hear Matt talking about investors and profits. It is going to take millions of pounds just to get the club back to where it was 15 years ago let alone 25, any new owner shouldn't be thinking about making a profit with us for a number of years.

I can't fathom wha point you are making here - if any.

Anyone taking on a concern like OAFC should, if they are any good, have a pretty clear idea of where the club is, where they want to be and a fairly detailed assessment of what it will take to get from one to the other. And that "what" will involve some kind of investment. Just because you can't visualise the future over that kind of time frame doesn't mean that others can't - or shouldn't. 

I think that there are a number of moving parts in your situation that make it difficult :

1) the proximity of the National League, which would not only be a disaster, but is having a bit of a paralysing effect as well.

2) the fact that the owners are merely inept, rather than pantomime villains of the kind we had (they were a gift, really). In your situation, it is harder to galvanise the support and sustain it.

3) the very messy issues around asset ownership - my feeling is that if the current players were capable of being part of the future, they would have shown some ownership and leadership of the issues by now. They need to be removed, one way or another, in my humble opinion.

I thought the whole debate about what you might aspire to be very interesting because I think your club is of a similar size to my own. And given the way the game is run at the moment  the Championship is both a glass ceiling and a poisoned chalice.  Hopefully, we may see some big changes to that soon. But finding yourself in a Division where two thirds of the clubs pay out more in wages than they generate in turnover brings all sorts of challenges that you don't see to the same extent anywhere else. 

Interestingly, on Blackpool, our stadium redevelopment did happen before the Oystons left ; but two stands were funded via grant, a third by Valeri Belokon and the fourth was (and still is) a temporary structure that was thrown up once we we got promoted to the EPL.

Luton are I think hoping to move to an out of town site.  At both clubs, I would say that the current success (relatively speaking) is as much down to good coaching as anything else - certainly Luton have been doing good things in that area consistently ever since they won promotion from the NL.

20 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I can't fathom wha point you are making here - if any.

Anyone taking on a concern like OAFC should, if they are any good, have a pretty clear idea of where the club is, where they want to be and a fairly detailed assessment of what it will take to get from one to the other. And that "what" will involve some kind of investment. Just because you can't visualise the future over that kind of time frame doesn't mean that others can't - or shouldn't. 

I think that there are a number of moving parts in your situation that make it difficult :

1) the proximity of the National League, which would not only be a disaster, but is having a bit of a paralysing effect as well.

2) the fact that the owners are merely inept, rather than pantomime villains of the kind we had (they were a gift, really). In your situation, it is harder to galvanise the support and sustain it.

3) the very messy issues around asset ownership - my feeling is that if the current players were capable of being part of the future, they would have shown some ownership and leadership of the issues by now. They need to be removed, one way or another, in my humble opinion.

I thought the whole debate about what you might aspire to be very interesting because I think your club is of a similar size to my own. And given the way the game is run at the moment  the Championship is both a glass ceiling and a poisoned chalice.  Hopefully, we may see some big changes to that soon. But finding yourself in a Division where two thirds of the clubs pay out more in wages than they generate in turnover brings all sorts of challenges that you don't see to the same extent anywhere else. 

Interestingly, on Blackpool, our stadium redevelopment did happen before the Oystons left ; but two stands were funded via grant, a third by Valeri Belokon and the fourth was (and still is) a temporary structure that was thrown up once we we got promoted to the EPL.

Luton are I think hoping to move to an out of town site.  At both clubs, I would say that the current success (relatively speaking) is as much down to good coaching as anything else - certainly Luton have been doing good things in that area consistently ever since they won promotion from the NL.

The point I was making was that we are a club in need of significant investment from day one of any takeover in both the playing staff and, as Andy rightly said, infrastructure.

Once that has been done then I have no issue with an owner taking a dividend if it isn't to the detriment of the club.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived