BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 28th Feb '22 Episode 73: Still more Questions than Answers

44 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure it is that fluid. The stated aim was to force the owner out of the club. That hasn't happened to date and doesn't appear to be imminent. The only tangible change has come in the dugout, something that the people driving this were vocally adamant was of no relevance to their intentions.

Can you not see how ridiculous it would have been to continue to protest as if nothing had happened once the owner had said he wanted out and Shez had come back?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd make two other points. Firstly, the potential salvation of our season by a club legend is a great story - why the hell would fans not get behind it? He's done it twice before, and now, when he doesn't need the aggro and we're in just about the worst situation of all, he comes back yet again and has already given us a fighting chance of staying up when we were just about dead and buried. How could anyone not be moved by that and want to support the guy and the team that he is already improving? Secondly, I and countless others have always said that the club belongs to the fans in the long run, not to the owner of the day. If I truly believe that (and I do, whatever the legal niceties) how can I not want to do whatever I can to keep my club in the Football League? There's plenty of time to resume the fight against the Lemsagams. Rome wasn't built in a day. @deyres42 and @Ryan seem to think the club sale should go through in days or weeks. Now THAT is ludicrous.

Playing devils advocate here. What happens if Shez keeps us up, Abdallah says the club is still up for sale but no credible bids have yet been received but he's still open to offers but in the meantime he has talked Shez into a years contract and Mo has been removed as Sporting Director but will remain a Director on the board. Would people back the team by way of buying season tickets/attend on a pay on the day basis next season? Or is it a case of no way back for the AL/Mo in any way at all?

43 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

It's far from ludicrous. You could not be more wrong, unless you really are posting these comments just as a windup.

If Shez secures safety before the end of the season, I fully expect the protests to return, why would they not? He is supposedly aiming to retire at the end of the season, at which point I'm sure the anti-ALMO feeling will re-surface if there is no sign of a sale. Shez and the players will know the protests aren't aimed at them. Until we are safe we have to back the fight to stay up under a club legend 100%. It's really not difficult to understand.

I might ask if it is the right thing to support the team now then why wasn't it the right thing in the Autumn?

But, ok, hypothetically speaking, we stay up, Sheridan signs a contract extension but there's no sign of a sale come the summer, are people really going to go back to not attending and standing outside with a megaphone? Of course they are not.

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

My take on what happened, is that there was a decline of the club's results on the pitch (after years of stagnation) coupled with a decline of the club's reputation due to how it dealt with players, staff and fans.  And that the entire blame for this sat with the Lemsagams. (There is blame elsewhere eg with Blitz and the land etc, but I'm purely talking about things in the Lemsagams direct control)

Their meddling in team affairs and their culture of treating people awfully was causing this. And it got so bad, we were down to hardly any fans and we were adrift at the bottom of the table and staring at non-league.

Two things changed... firstly they accepted that it wasn't working and they put the club up for sale. Secondly they appointed Shez and let him get on with it.  Granted the sale doesn't seem to be moving much, but I think it's fair to say that if they weren't leaving Shez to it then he would be vocal about it and possibly quit. He wouldn't just suffer in silence like Curle or Selim - it was more than just a footballing appointment. No other appointment at that stage would have had the same effect with the fans. It felt like one of us was on the touchline, and one of us was giving interviews. It meant we could believe what was being said about the playing side, rather than wondering if we're just being told what Mo wants us to hear.

As the organisations with the biggest number of fan members, PTB and OASF then had a choice to make - what do they do with regard to the protests?  I'm not that well versed on Blackpool's fortunes, but were they faced with relegation during their boycotts? Let alone relegation to non league? Going into non league could mean not being back in the league for years, it's so much more devastating than dropping from league 1 to league 2.  The general feeling among the fans seemed to be that Shez and the team should be backed temporarily so between Shez, the players and the fans we gave the club the best chance of staying up.  And lets remember, the tickets were sold for Rochdale before results changed. So it wasn't suddenly a few wins that changed things, it was a sense of collective responsibility to do what we could as fans to help the club stay up - which was and still is absolutely priorty number 1.

Should we stay up, what happens next lies with the Lemsagams. And I'm sure OASF and PTB will do exactly what they have always done - take their cue from what the fans want.

I agree with what you're saying, but what happens if Shez keeps us up, then goes off to enjoy his retirement as the statue is being cast. The club is still up for sale but with no buyer on the horizon. Abdallah would still have to run the club, so the boycott will probably kick in again and with no money to speak of we'll assemble another shite squad.

No doubt we'll reach January again staring relegation in the face, so what happens then? Does everyone return to get behind the team to hopefully cheer them to safety, only to start the boycott again for the following season?

43 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Can you not see how ridiculous it would have been to continue to protest as if nothing had happened once the owner had said he wanted out and Shez had come back?

The same owner has at various points said he's buying the ground, developing the training ground, 3 year plan, not meddling in team affairs. You'll have to forgive me for not taking his word as gospel.

Just now, deyres42 said:

The same owner has at various points said he's buying the ground, developing the training ground, 3 year plan, not meddling in team affairs. You'll have to forgive me for not taking his word as gospel.

These are totally valid points, I have a deep mistrust of the Lemsagan's. 

5 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I agree with what you're saying, but what happens if Shez keeps us up, then goes off to enjoy his retirement as the statue is being cast. The club is still up for sale but with no buyer on the horizon. Abdallah would still have to run the club, so the boycott will probably kick in again and with no money to speak of we'll assemble another shite squad.

No doubt we'll reach January again staring relegation in the face, so what happens then? Does everyone return to get behind the team to hopefully cheer them to safety, only to start the boycott again for the following season?

Yep. 

It’s very simple. 

Leave Mo out of it, appoint a manager of credibility and invest in a team that has more than one striker. No problem. 

Don’t do the above- boycott and protest. 

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Indeed so, but reappointing Shez represented a slice of humble pie

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I might ask if it is the right thing to support the team now then why wasn't it the right thing in the Autumn?

Mo was actively involved in team affairs with Curle. 

There was zero investment in the squad. 

We heard nothing from Marco. 

Those are 3 straight off the bat. There only seems to be you who is struggling to remember. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mo was actively involved in team affairs with Curle. 

There was zero investment in the squad. 

We heard nothing from Marco. 

Those are 3 straight off the bat. There only seems to be you who is struggling to remember. 

There wasn't any investment in the squad in January either...

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep. 

It’s very simple. 

Leave Mo out of it, appoint a manager of credibility and invest in a team that has more than one striker. No problem. 

Don’t do the above- boycott and protest. 

But if he says he's doing all he can to sell the club but no one wants to buy it,  we're bottom of the league next Jan and the National League beckons, what happens then?

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

There wasn't any investment in the squad in January either...

Where have Fondop and Missilou and come from- thin air. 

We had one forward- we’ve now got two. 

We had no one to put a foot in midfield - now we have.

It is amazing- no. It is better than what we had- yes. 

Edit- sorry . . . and Tope. 😁

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Where have Fondop and Missilou and come from- thin air. 

We had one forward- we’ve now got two. 

We had no one to put a foot in midfield - now we have.

It is amazing- no. It is better than what we had- yes. 

Edit- sorry . . . and Tope. 😁

Replacing the ones that left...

But yes the squad has a better balance to it.

7 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

But if he says he's doing all he can to sell the club but no one wants to buy it,  we're bottom of the league next Jan and the National League beckons, what happens then?

We’ll know long before then about the direction of travel Steve, and boycotting and protesting should start immediately if AL returns to his old ways. 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We’ll know long before then about the direction of travel Steve, and boycotting and protesting should start immediately if AL returns to his old ways. 

There are three scenarios I see regarding the sale of the club.

1) He's talking bollocks about selling just to deflect the heat off him

2) He wants to sell but the club is in such a rotten state that no one wants to buy it.

3) He finds a buyer and we all live happily ever after.

We all hope it's 3, but I fear 1 or 2 are the most likely.

The club could take years to sell. If we stay up the protests must contiinue until he sells it at a realistic cost. Due diligence must be done by both the board and the EFL to ensure future owners are fit to run a football club.

Unfortunately a fans buyout is impossible. We need a philanthropist with millions to spend. I want those two out of the club ASAP, but I do not trust them

50 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Possibly, yes. Who knows? The main driver for fan action (in my opinion) was to seek for the club to change it's behaviour, as that behaviour was damaging the club's reputation, it's relationship with the fans and it's fortunes on the pitch.  Over time it became clear that behaviour wasn't going to change, so the main driver became to get the owner to sell.

It's a fluid situation. Maybe, if the owner showed a willingness to change after the end of the season and back this up with action rather than promises, then there might be a chunk of the fan base willing to back the club. However, for others the bridges are long since burned. The point being, Lemsagam has caused the rift so it's up to him to take the lead in fixing it. There's not much fans can do other than react to what's in front of them.

18 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

There are three scenarios I see regarding the sale of the club.

1) He's talking bollocks about selling just to deflect the heat off him

2) He wants to sell but the club is in such a rotten state that no one wants to buy it.

3) He finds a buyer and we all live happily ever after.

We all hope it's 3, but I fear 1 or 2 are the most likely.

I think he definitely wants to sell they have nothing keeping them here it's just that the selling process will take longer than we would like. I'd love for it to be concluded in May but with the issue with the land and stadium ownership make it more complicated plus an owner who's track record shows he's not a very easy man to do business with.

This gives us a problem this summer as if the club isn't sold with an owner wanting out therefore reluctant to want to invest money and potentially no John Sheridan either people will be reluctant to go and buy season tickets where does that leave us in August 22? 

With Sheridan also retiring to Spain we might not be able to play our Trump card in January either.

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Seriously mate stop giving him air time 

I only see his wind up shit from others put him on ignore and have done with it 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Seriously mate stop giving him air time 

I only see his wind up shit from others put him on ignore and have done with it 

He does have valid points, I admit it might look like he is coming from both sides of the argument sometimes, but he is not a patch on some that have been on here. It takes all sorts to make a football forum work. 

7 minutes ago, disjointed said:

He does have valid points, I admit it might look like he is coming from both sides of the argument sometimes, but he is not a patch on some that have been on here. It takes all sorts to make a football forum work. 

no he really doesn’t - he’s a wind up merchant and a troll and revels in it 

you should see him on Twitter 

Archived