BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 28th Feb '22 Episode 73: Still more Questions than Answers

Latics ground out a point in what was very much a bottom of the table spectacle at Colchester United on Saturday. Shez is playing his part, doing exactly what he said he believed he could by giving us a fighting chance, but there's still a lot of uncertainly around the future of the football club. We reflect on the game and look at some of the difficult issues still surrounding the sale of the club.

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly disconcerting to hear Matt talking about investors and profits. It is going to take millions of pounds just to get the club back to where it was 15 years ago let alone 25, any new owner shouldn't be thinking about making a profit with us for a number of years.

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Slightly disconcerting to hear Matt talking about investors and profits. It is going to take millions of pounds just to get the club back to where it was 15 years ago let alone 25, any new owner shouldn't be thinking about making a profit with us for a number of years.

no point living in a fantasy land

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

True but not sure the fanbase will put up with plodding along in L2 for years on end just as long as the club is being run better.

You always reference ‘the fanbase’ like you have the pulse of x amount of thousand people, or imply we are unique in delusion and/or grandeur. Which is of course - nonsense. The truth is, some will always go no matter what- like plodding in L2. Some will float on results- like being being in the top six of L2. Some will only go when we’re winning most weeks. - Like a new owner throwing money at it. It’s the same for every club bar the elite. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You always reference ‘the fanbase’ like you have the pulse of x amount of thousand people, or imply we are unique in delusion and/or grandeur. Which is of course - nonsense. The truth is, some will always go no matter what- like plodding in L2. Some will float on results- like being being in the top six of L2. Some will only go when we’re winning most weeks. - Like a new owner throwing money at it. It’s the same for every club bar the elite. 

In terms of delusion there aren't many above us but they can be easily pacified as the last few weeks have shown, like it or not though any new owner will carry an expectation to quickly improve matters on the pitch.

If anyone is looking to invest in a business to make a financial return then the last place you look is a professional football club least of all one at the bottom of league 2. They don't make money. They highlighted Stevenage in the podcast making a £1.5mill profit. That is one off They won't make that every season if they did they wouldn't be playing at this level. 

They mention about money to be made in the championship. You just have to take a look at some of the P&Ls of championship clubs some of them are absolute train wrecks. If say we were to get to the championship then its quite possible that if we did the right things 5 figure gates could be the average. Plus you get TV money but that's hugely offset by the wages you have to pay out at that level to remain competitive.

That said people still want to buy football clubs they are often a status symbol even at our level many of the people who own them are football fans, and while people won't make money you can invest it wisely and be successful without losing that much. But if any prospective owner thinks they are going to get a financial return out of investing in Oldham Athletic that should be a massive red flag straight away.

Not surprised we got a draw Saturday I just hope that if we lose one then we have it in us to bounce back 6 wins will see us home although 5 and a few draws will probably be enough. Just aslong as we are out of the bottom 2 going into the last 4 games because they look tough.

In terms of delusion there aren't many above us but they can be easily pacified as the last few weeks have shown, like it or not though any new owner will carry an expectation to quickly improve matters on the pitch.

We are the least successful club in England. I don’t think we are deluded at all- it’s just easy to conflate that and disappointment at our lack of success/continual decline, which are two very different things. 

Any new owner comes with hope and aspiration, but in terms of us- if the new owner can smile without creeping everybody out, hasn’t got a brother, and manages to do the basics they’ll get a free pass for a while. If they can then build on that with relatively small wins, like proper fan engagement, PR and sponsorship it would further enhance their reputation. In the long term, results will always be an important marker, but if this period has taught us anything- it’s that success or failure mustn’t come before the actual spirit of the club. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

We are the least successful club in England. I don’t think we are deluded at all- it’s just easy to conflate that and disappointment at our lack of success/continual decline, which are two very different things. 

Any new owner comes with hope and aspiration, but in terms of us- if the new owner can smile without creeping everybody out, hasn’t got a brother, and manages to do the basics they’ll get a free pass for a while. If they can then build on that with relatively small wins, like proper fan engagement, PR and sponsorship it would further enhance their reputation. In the long term, results will always be an important marker, but if this period has taught us anything- it’s that success or failure mustn’t come before the actual spirit of the club. 

One man's disappointment is another man's delusion 😅😅

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Strange choice of words @deyres42

I still wholeheartedly support the removal of the Brothers Lemsagam but at the moment my focus is to wholeheartedly support John Sheridan in his task of preventing us slipping into the National League.

I ain’t pacified, I’ve just shifted my focus for a while 😎

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

One man's disappointment is another man's delusion 😅😅

Nah. 

Comments like,

‘I can’t believe we’re getting beat to Harrogate at home’

Have nothing to do Mark Hughes scoring a goal 26 years ago, and everything to do with the fact that just when you think we can’t get any shitter, we do. 

But then, you know that really. 

• Matt featured this topic
2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I still wholeheartedly support the removal of the Brothers Lemsagam but at the moment my focus is to wholeheartedly support John Sheridan in his task of preventing us slipping into the National League.

In typical Eyrsey style, he’s arguing with himself. He claims we have some of the most delusional fans in the land . . . who are also easily pacified. 

I’m sure he know what he means. 

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I've seen and heard it suggested that protesting could start up again if and when league safety is secured, as though you can turn your anger and concerns on and off when it suits, ludicrous.

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

In typical Eyrsey style, he’s arguing with himself. He claims we have some of the most delusional fans in the land . . . who are also easily pacified. 

I’m sure he know what he means. 

They are and they are though, all it took was a sentimental appointment and a few decent results....

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

I've seen and heard it suggested that protesting could start up again if and when league safety is secured, as though you can turn your anger and concerns on and off when it suits, ludicrous.

Surely you can see the fans who have returned point of view, the owner has said he is putting the club up for sale, a club legend returns as manager to try and stop the club dropping out of the football league. I have no intention of returning until the Lemsagan's are gone but I can see where the returning fans are coming from. 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Surely you can see the fans who have returned point of view, the owner has said he is putting the club up for sale, a club legend returns as manager to try and stop the club dropping out of the football league. I have no intention of returning until the Lemsagan's are gone but I can see where the returning fans are coming from. 

Yeah, no problem with fans returning, all that hysteria about getting media attention regarding our 'plight' looks a bit hollow now though IMO.

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yeah, no problem with fans returning, all that hysteria about getting media attention regarding our 'plight' looks a bit hollow now though IMO.

That's your opinion and you have every right to hold that view. I try not to judge too harshly as the fans previous stance has got us this far. 

Remains to be seen but am yet to be convinced that the owners will sell. I see parallels with the venkys. They did everything wrong at the start but eventually took a back seat and, on the pitch at least, it’s working for them and fans are happy. Summer could be interesting but there is a hell of a long way to go. 

it’s no bad thing that we have dropped back into the relegation zone. Keeps us on our toes and focused on the fight. 

36 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They are and they are though, all it took was a sentimental appointment and a few decent results....

We are pacified (for now) by a legend returning in a our darkest hour. If we stay up and nothing changes, we’re back to square one and protests and boycotts should start again. 

Where is the delusion? 

Just making things up again. 

6 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Remains to be seen but am yet to be convinced that the owners will sell. I see parallels with the venkys. They did everything wrong at the start but eventually took a back seat and, on the pitch at least, it’s working for them and fans are happy. Summer could be interesting but there is a hell of a long way to go. 

it’s no bad thing that we have dropped back into the relegation zone. Keeps us on our toes and focused on the fight. 

Yeah, I’d agree with that. 

IF they gave Shez another year to keep steadying the ship and left him alone- they might be surprised with what he could do. (It would certainly be better than bottom 6) 

But I have zero expectation that is what will happen. I think Shez will walk   and Mo will be back to wreak havoc. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, I’d agree with that. 

IF they gave Shez another year to keep steadying the ship and left him alone- they might be surprised with what he could do. (It would certainly be better than bottom 6) 

But I have zero expectation that is what will happen. I think Shez will walk   and Mo will be back to wreak havoc. 

That’s a very plausible outcome 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We are pacified (for now) by a legend returning in a our darkest hour. If we stay up and nothing changes, we’re back to square one and protests and boycotts should start again. 

Where is the delusion? 

Just making things up again. 

Protests been completely undermined, nobody looking from the outside could take it seriously now.

"Yeah, we stopped for a bit cos they appointed a manager we like but we are going to start it up again, any chance of covering it on your station?" "Erm, we'll get back to you on that" 😅😅😅

Protests been completely undermined, nobody looking from the outside could take it seriously now.

"Yeah, we stopped for a bit cos they appointed a manager we like but we are going to start it up again, any chance of covering it on your station?" "Erm, we'll get back to you on that" 😅😅😅

Might you consider what the purpose of the protest is? It’s not to get media attention it’s to get the owners to sell. They have seemingly made the first move towards that and, to that end, the protests have been effective thus far. Whether he sells is a different matter and if he doesn’t then fans regroup and go again. It’s not over. 

nothing has been undermined

Archived