BPAS PODCAST: 22nd Aug '22, S3E3: Roots Fall

Another defeat & we discuss how we feel and the reaction on social media.

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 22nd Aug '22, S3E3: Roots Fall
  • Matt featured this topic

Another really interesting listen, thank you.

The visiting Southend fan (I think) said something interesting in the week, when he observed that you are now facing the shock of being in tier five, and finding the standard is pretty much the same as that you struggled with in tier four. I think the events of the last week must have brought that home.

I thought everything that was said about cultural change was very well observed ; the bit about OASF especially so. At my Trust we have had to cope with moving away from being a protest group - something we were very good at - to doing something very different and far more nebulous. You will get there, but it will take time. And you never, ever reach a point where you can just stop, content that the evolution is done. It never is.

The stuff about formations - and matching them to personnel - is, I suspect, replicated at dozens of Podcasts up and down the country every week. My own take is that I don't like straight lines, because better teams will always play through and between them. So I don't like the rigidity of 4-4-2 and I think 3-5-2 (which is really 5-3-2 for the 50% of the time you don't have the ball) is a formation for clubs who first and foremost don't want to lose. 

Final thing for me is about continuity versus loyalty. I was struck by the experience Southend had last season, when they found themselves in the National League partly because the then manager was behind the times, tactically. He didn't improve with relegation, and they only started to improve after he had been replaced. I'm not saying this is analogous to your situation, but I am saying that club legend status can only carry you so far. I really hope he starts winning a few games, because it is a really uncomfortable issue for a new regime to have to face up to and it would be nice if they didn't have to.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived