LOTW - 16/8/07 - Simon Stainrod

Stevie_J

lotwstainrodbm2.jpg

Welcome to the nineteenth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's a favourite of many, Simon Stainrod.

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

I'm late again with LOTW - apologies!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

You don't see many players like Stainrod these days - a maverick both on and off the field. Had so much talent and a real entertainer. Remember his debut at Blackburn when he beat about 3 players on the bye line and then slotted it in from a really tight angle. It was Stainrod who caused the riot against Sheff Wed, remember he was an ex Sheff Utd player, he was winding Terry Curran up and Curran fell for it by lashing out right in front of the ref and the Wednesday fans.

Think he went on to make the England squad whilst at QPR, not sure if he actually got a cap. Saw him at the play off game at QPR, didn't look any different. He is now a football agent and last I heard was living in Monaco.

A true legend and one of my all time favourites.

This guy is true Latics legend

i can only re-iterate what has been said - was only a young lad but think he scored on his debut at ewood park, and became my favourite player.

Rememeber that game against sheff wed, and remember him going down in front of the ref, which started a major riot.

he was a tue showman- no one in the modern game is like this now and think this type of player we never be seen again,

was gutted we lost him to QPR(we got about £200,000-£250,000 k) for him and replaced him with Roger Palmer, so he still did some good even tho he left

Would be a possible player if i had two dream teams playing against easch other.

Edited by neiladamsheadband

I agree with all the previous comments. He was a quality player with style and panache. His debut goal away against Blackburn in front of the Latics fans (myself included) was one of the best goals I have seen.

I met Stan once - we were moving house from Firgrove (small village between Milnrow and Rochdale) and were looking at houses on the Silver Hill estate half way up Kiln Lane in Milnrow. Well imagine my surprise and delight when my Dad took us all to see a potential house on Yeomans Close only to have the door opened by Stan!!

He showed us round his house and was very accommodating to me, my Dad and brothers. We actually went on to buy a different house very close by, but actually being shown around your favorite player's house - by the man himself - was a great and unexpected experience.

A real favourite of mine, massive talent, technical ability and close control.

When he was on his game and up for it he was an absolute nightmare for defenders who just did not know how to combat him.

I dont think he did achieve maybe all he could have in the game with the talent he had, his spell at Latics was all too brief.

The parallels with Rodney Marsh are extremely accurate, he was a real entertainer.

He could also be very frustrating at times and was far more a player to have in your team if you were 2-0 up as opposed to 2-0 down.

I often heard him described as a luxury player by some, but to me he was as I said a real entertainer and very skillful player, he was often worth the entrance money on his own and I dont say that about many players.

I forgot to mention he had a very well founded reputation around the town as a ladies man and I heard several tales about his lets say 'Prowess' during his time with the club.

Edited by Hometownclub

I agree with all the previous comments. He was a quality player with style and panache. His debut goal away against Blackburn in front of the Latics fans (myself included) was one of the best goals I have seen.

I met Stan once - we were moving house from Firgrove (small village between Milnrow and Rochdale) and were looking at houses on the Silver Hill estate half way up Kiln Lane in Milnrow. Well imagine my surprise and delight when my Dad took us all to see a potential house on Yeomans Close only to have the door opened by Stan!!

He showed us round his house and was very accommodating to me, my Dad and brothers. We actually went on to buy a different house very close by, but actually being shown around your favorite player's house - by the man himself - was a great and unexpected experience.

...................Which leads on to my favourite story. There was a patch of grass up a the top of Yeomans Close were we used to go for a kick around, Stan used to come out from his house from time to time and have a kick around with us. Top bloke.

...................Which leads on to my favourite story. There was a patch of grass up a the top of Yeomans Close were we used to go for a kick around, Stan used to come out from his house from time to time and have a kick around with us. Top bloke.

I must know you.

Certainly me and Rick used to play footy all the time on that patch of grass up at the top of Yeomans. We played cricket on there a few times too, until Stan broke someones window. After that incident was when the council planted trees on the 'little field'. Can't remember if Rick was there or not that day, long time ago.

Do you remember that enormous Alsatian he used to have too? Asia I think she was called.

We weren't averse to knocking on his door a week after the season finished to find out when the new fixtures were out either. It has to be said, he had the patience of a saint.

I'm trying to think of all the kids around our way that supported Latics at the time. That will be me and our (now lapsed) kid, Rick and his two brothers (one of whom is also lapsed).

Got it! You are Rick too, but not Rick W. Can't remember if you lived on Croft Head or Weir Rd. though.

That was certainly it for quite a few years at Moorhouse and Roch Valley.

KtF,

Derek.

Edit: it only clicked when I saw where you are from because I saw you driving down Wildhouse Lane the other week. I was either going to or coming from the Gallows at the time. Then again I could be totally wrong.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

SS was quality, and whoever said players like that don't exist any more is spot on. One thing I always remember (or at least I like to think I remember) is also a game against Blackburn but at BP. Possibly Easter time, they were on their way down and we battered them, 5-0 I think. SS got the ball in the six yard box at the Chaddy End, but instead of tapping it in he proceeded to beat at least one probably two defenders before slotting it home. Is it just me or does anybody else remember it?

Anyways fer the young un's here is the man in action, quality finish against PNE, from September 1979.

6pnestainrodgoal15979anv2.jpg

6pnestainrodgoal15979bxo0.jpg

6pnestainrodgoal15979cgs7.jpg

I must know you.

Certainly me and Rick used to play footy all the time on that patch of grass up at the top of Yeomans. We played cricket on there a few times too, until Stan broke someones window. After that incident was when the council planted trees on the 'little field'. Can't remember if Rick was there or not that day, long time ago.

Do you remember that enormous Alsatian he used to have too? Asia I think she was called.

We weren't averse to knocking on his door a week after the season finished to find out when the new fixtures were out either. It has to be said, he had the patience of a saint.

I'm trying to think of all the kids around our way that supported Latics at the time. That will be me and our (now lapsed) kid, Rick and his two brothers (one of whom is also lapsed).

Got it! You are Rick too, but not Rick W. Can't remember if you lived on Croft Head or Weir Rd. though.

That was certainly it for quite a few years at Moorhouse and Roch Valley.

KtF,

Derek.

Edit: it only clicked when I saw where you are from because I saw you driving down Wildhouse Lane the other week. I was either going to or coming from the Gallows at the time. Then again I could be totally wrong.

Yeah it's the other Rick, Derek (my cover is blown!). I lived on Croft Head (or Crofthead depending on which enterance you use!) and went to Crossgates School and then Roch Valley. That dog seemed about as big as me at the time. I remember thinking I was the only Oldham fan in the village for ages until the Rick W et al moved in, then I first met you and am sure we must have out numbered the reds and sky blues after that. Didn't you have a mate called Colin or something who lived near you who was a city fan that played on Yeomans too?

Yeah it's the other Rick, Derek (my cover is blown!). I lived on Croft Head (or Crofthead depending on which enterance you use!) and went to Crossgates School and then Roch Valley. That dog seemed about as big as me at the time. I remember thinking I was the only Oldham fan in the village for ages until the Rick W et al moved in, then I first met you and am sure we must have out numbered the reds and sky blues after that. Didn't you have a mate called Colin or something who lived near you who was a city fan that played on Yeomans too?

Derek would never admit having a City fan as a friend - I am sure!!

How ya doing Rick?

Remember being a junior Blue and going to the open day at the club, I bought his picture from the club shop and had it signed, forgot all about it till I was rooting about in the loft the other week and finding it, a proper chidhood hero Mr Stainrod B)

P.S. I remember him being with Nick Sinclair lol remember him ?

Edited by AndyBlue2

Derek would never admit having a City fan as a friend - I am sure!!

How ya doing Rick?

Yeah I'm good ta Rick. I'm pretty sure this City fan was a mate of Derek's, anyway he was the one with the ball so we had to let him play even if he was the wrong shade of blue!

Rick is right, I didn't have City fans as mates even as a kid.

You lived up the top end near John Summers didn't you - certainly on the bend up to the hill (my memory isn't what it once was)? I need to look at the street signs too, I have never noticed that despite living on the same street for all but 2 years of the last 34.

The were a few scummers knocking about though, the Drake brothers were City and Kel Maxwell went through school with me, there were lots of Liverpool and United fans at the time IIRC. Actually when I got a bit older I will count Loffy, the Garners and Dave T as mates, don't see much of them though now. Actually I only see Daz G on his way to the bookies once in a blue moon (excuse the pun).

There were only a few 'Tics about though until we started doing free tickets and good old Smoothy Boothy got hold of a shed load to give out at RV, then it went mad with Latics fans in the Village.

After leaving school I hadn't seen JB for ages then bumped into him in Malta. Small world. He was living in Germany and teaching English at the time - funny with him being a German teacher in England. Great bloke John, I bumped into him in our summer of discontent and he bought me beers as he had heard my name in despatches and remembered me fondly. He must have forgotten what a precocious little b'stard I was in his classes!

KtF,

Derek.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

A real favourite of mine, massive talent, technical ability and close control.

When he was on his game and up for it he was an absolute nightmare for defenders who just did not know how to combat him.

I dont think he did achieve maybe all he could have in the game with the talent he had, his spell at Latics was all too brief.

The parallels with Rodney Marsh are extremely accurate, he was a real entertainer.

He could also be very frustrating at times and was far more a player to have in your team if you were 2-0 up as opposed to 2-0 down.

I often heard him described as a luxury player by some, but to me he was as I said a real entertainer and very skillful player, he was often worth the entrance money on his own and I dont say that about many players.

I forgot to mention he had a very well founded reputation around the town as a ladies man and I heard several tales about his lets say 'Prowess' during his time with the club.

Awesome footballer and possibly the most naturally talented player ever to grace boundary park during my time.

When this guy was on blob he was worth the admission money on his own.

I can't remember who our opponents were but one goal he scored sticks in my mind.

We were playing toward the then open end (Rocky Rd) and the ball was played to him along the floor. He was on the half way line on the Ford Stand wing with a defender right up his **** somehow he received the ball and flicked it up over his and the defenders head and turned in one movement and set off for goal.

He got to the edge of the area and camly slotted it under the keepers body. It doesn't sound that special but believe me it was pure skill.

Does anybody remember it!!!

He would definitely get in my all stars latics team just for entertainment alone!!!

Rick is right, I didn't have City fans as mates even as a kid.

You lived up the top end near John Summers didn't you - certainly on the bend up to the hill (my memory isn't what it once was)? I need to look at the street signs too, I have never noticed that despite living on the same street for all but 2 years of the last 34.

The were a few scummers knocking about though, the Drake brothers were City and Kel Maxwell went through school with me, there were lots of Liverpool and United fans at the time IIRC. Actually when I got a bit older I will count Loffy, the Garners and Dave T as mates, don't see much of them though now. Actually I only see Daz G on his way to the bookies once in a blue moon (excuse the pun).

There were only a few 'Tics about though until we started doing free tickets and good old Smoothy Boothy got hold of a shed load to give out at RV, then it went mad with Latics fans in the Village.

After leaving school I hadn't seen JB for ages then bumped into him in Malta. Small world. He was living in Germany and teaching English at the time - funny with him being a German teacher in England. Great bloke John, I bumped into him in our summer of discontent and he bought me beers as he had heard my name in despatches and remembered me fondly. He must have forgotten what a precocious little b'stard I was in his classes!

KtF,

Derek.

Yeah I lived on the corner just before you go up the hill, about 4 or 5 houses further up than Rick.

I remember the Drakes very well and also Lee Garrett who were city fans; intrerstingly it always seemed like the City and Latics fans used to actually go to the game, where as the scummers never did. I also remember lots of Everton fans appearing on the estate when they had some success in the early to mid eighties.

I used to get a lift off Boothy to away matches, he used to have a mate called Bob who lived near the lake that used to drive us. I see him from time-to-time still myself, though not for a while, last time he was living in Germany working as a translator for Bielefeld Council who are twinned with Rochdale. Because of this he got over here quite often. He said he always tried to time it for a big Latics game.

I remember too the boom time in the village (brought on by Boothy) when the free tickets were knocking around, I didn't really know the lads to well who you're on about (I know the faces), but I can remember the Latics scarves suddenly appearing at school. I can also claim to have been the one who got the likes of Pixie going to Boundary Park. A few of us used to get the 182 bus from Milnrow to the games and I can remember getting a bit of a slap from the Shaw lads a few times when all that trouble used to happen between Milnrow and Shaw in the mid-eighties. I don't know if you know Daz Needham but he was another who I started off at this time; he and Pixie though are the only long term devotees from that period.

Awesome footballer and possibly the most naturally talented player ever to grace boundary park during my time.

When this guy was on blob he was worth the admission money on his own.

I can't remember who our opponents were but one goal he scored sticks in my mind.

We were playing toward the then open end (Rocky Rd) and the ball was played to him along the floor. He was on the half way line on the Ford Stand wing with a defender right up his **** somehow he received the ball and flicked it up over his and the defenders head and turned in one movement and set off for goal.

He got to the edge of the area and camly slotted it under the keepers body. It doesn't sound that special but believe me it was pure skill.

Does anybody remember it!!!

He would definitely get in my all stars latics team just for entertainment alone!!!

The goal I refer to is shown in pictures by snipe tripe in an earlier post. An absolute gem of a goal, if only it was available on film!!!

Simon Stainrod is my all time favourite Latics player in the 37 years I've been watching them>

How he can have been omitted from the recent "Legends of Oldham Athletic" book is beyond me - he was such a hit with the fans at the time.

I still clearly remember his debut goal at Blackburn when he beat 3 or 4 players and slotted it in from what seemed an impossible angle - one of the best ever Latics goals. Pity not recorded at the time. Then of course the infamous game against Sheffield Weds when his goal sparked the riot. How we could do with someone like him now !

Then of course the infamous game against Sheffield Weds when his goal sparked the riot. How we could do with someone like him now !

What start a riot?

:)

The way some of the webspackers have been going on over on JK, we might have one in Lee Hughes