Mouldy old dough / Fanfare ?

Markoasis

Mouldy old dough or Fanfare  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you associate with Latics?

• Mouldy old dough
    • Fanfare for the common man
    • Boys in blue
    • meat pie sausage roll
    • This is how it feels to be lonely
    • Down, down, deeper and down

Article that appeared in the observer sent to me today from one of the OASIS lads.......

"That seems reasonable enough, though one cannot help wondering how Oldham Athletic climbed all the way into what was still Division One in 1991 by running out to 'Mouldy Old Dough'. Readers too young to remember Lieutenant Pigeon's bizarrely successful 1972 number one are congratulated and advised that any effort to track it down to check it out can only end in disappointment. Just before the Premiership arrived, Oldham changed their tune to the grander but still homely 'Fanfare for the Common Man', in time for Eric Cantona to make his English league debut as a substitute for Leeds United at Boundary Park in February 1992, yet Latics fans in exile still have 'Mouldy Old Dough' as their ringtone of choice.

If anyone can recall a team running out to a less obviously inspiring piece of music it would be interesting to hear of it, though at least Oldham never made the mistake of overexciting their fans or tuning pre-kick-off expectations to an unrealistic pitch. Several clubs have managed that, most notably Sunderland a few years ago when in addition to the eclectic mix of Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet and 'Ready To Go' by Republica they were in the habit of firing up giant flamethrowers on the pitch just to make sure no one had nodded off. When the match actually started, it was inevitably to a palpable sense of anticlimax"

full article

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/sto...2160852,00.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile

Mouldy Old Dough (and Dan i'm a Desperate Man) have been played at latics since the early 70's.

They were never tracks that they ran out onto the pitch though :unsure:

Since i dont go into the Ground now until about 14:50 (not like the old days of 14:00) i wouldnt know if they still play them.

Mouldy Old Dough is played every week much to me delight - reminds me of being a snotty kid in the owd Chaddy End - never knew what the guy said so just used to shout 'aaaargh' instead of mould old dough. Anyone notice the quality tunes played vs Bristol Rovers before the match and at half time - Sound Of The Suburbs album methinks - Jam, Buzzcocks, Stranglers - quality to hear these toons at foozeball rather all that modern pop-pap (eeeeh when a were a lad!)

Mouldy Old Dough is played every week much to me delight - reminds me of being a snotty kid in the owd Chaddy End - never knew what the guy said so just used to shout 'aaaargh' instead of mould old dough. Anyone notice the quality tunes played vs Bristol Rovers before the match and at half time - Sound Of The Suburbs album methinks - Jam, Buzzcocks, Stranglers - quality to hear these toons at foozeball rather all that modern pop-pap (eeeeh when a were a lad!)

Totally agree ..... tube strike today so it was great excuse for me to ride to work on my orginial 70's Raleigh Chopper

Some lads were playing it (quietly) on the train back from Uddy last season, as well as whistling Andy Ritchie's Magic, Ooh Roger Palmer, EIEIEIO and many others. It was inexplicably hilarious, but some old bag was tutting and casting eyes as if they were a set of Chelsea headhunters getting Stanley blades out and painting swastikas on the windows in goats blood.

Some lads were playing it (quietly) on the train back from Uddy last season, as well as whistling Andy Ritchie's Magic, Ooh Roger Palmer, EIEIEIO and many others. It was inexplicably hilarious, but some old bag was tutting and casting eyes as if they were a set of Chelsea headhunters getting Stanley blades out and painting swastikas on the windows in goats blood.

... always gets blash on the OASIS train home, not usually quiet though :grin:

if I was ever rich and stupid enough to own the club I would have Mouldy old Dough played pre game (is it still done? I tend to stagger in at 2:59 breathing beer fumes) and the Rockford Files played at full time. Ahhhh them were the days

I'd forgotten about that h_s but I can now hear it clear as day in my head and the memories come flooding back.

Bring back The Rockford Files!!!!!!!

I'd forgotten about that h_s but I can now hear it clear as day in my head and the memories come flooding back.

Bring back The Rockford Files!!!!!!!

I remember both Mouldy Old Dough and The Rockford Files theme tunes - aaah they were the days when I used to get money from the old Ford Stand for collecting glasses.

for me this tune will always evoke nightime at Boundary Park, there is a drizzle falling from the sky, the game has just finished and I'm shuffling past the floodlight pylon at the corner of the Chaddy End. Ah, memories!

I agree that Rockford Files reminds me specifically of night matches.

I have Boys in Blue and Mouldy Old Dough on my phone

and Fanfare For Ther Common Man on my i-pod.....

I reckon Mouldy Old Dough should be the last record played before the players run out onto the pitch, the players should run out to Fanfare for the Common Man, Rockford Files should be the last record played before 2nd half and Boys in Blue should be first record after the game had finnished.

JOB DONE !!

80s/90s we ran out to Mouldy Old Dough, last season (or was it the one before last) when they had the "vote" for the run out music I emailed a .mp3 of Mouldy Old Dough to the club and said get it sorted but alas Fanfare For The Common Man won but didn't get played as the run out music.

Instead they play "The Bongo Song" or to give it the proper name "Played A Live" By Safri Duo. This is a song I first heard in 2001 when my best mate and I were dancing on a bar in Coco Bongos in Cancun, Mehico with several dusky maidens of the very tasty variety. I have very happy mammaries of that song however none of them have anything to do with Latics.

I read that article in the Observer about run out music and was going to post the same but couldn't be arsed however today I am poished and and ranting. Latics need to start running out to M O D again, there was a post on JK about teams today being made up of transients and it is true. The traditions at clubs now belong to the fans and M O D is such. Just as the Match of the Day music screams "THIS IS FOOTBALL, DE DEE DE DE DEE DE THIS IS FOOTBALL, THIS IS FOOTBALL" So does M O D.

It is currently played at latics just after the announcing gimps start their "turn" before they play the rest of the turgid tripe that passes for music these and the "Latics Blue Crew" (dressed in white) take to the field and do a number to some rancid 4 to the floor tripe that no one outside of a bloo cru rehearsal session has heard before.

So in summary, BRING BACK MOULDY OLD DOUGH!!!!!!! get the blue crew in blue or get rid as no one gives a censored.

the "Latics Blue Crew" (dressed in white) take to the field and do a number to some rancid

I would love to see the Blue Crew dancing to Rancid - that would be top!

Rockford Files -quality owd tune.

Pigbag - a great traditional footy song - would like that to be involved.

Geno - again a great owd footy song!

Mr Banks testing 1-2-3 Mr Banks - would love to see this one come back as well.

When I read the article on Sunday I couldn't recall us running out to MOD, neither could her indoors, still can't. Bring back Fanfare fert common man I say.

I remember the Rockford Files too, in fact the first season I had a ST 77/78 the PA guy played two other records from about November onwards until season ends, I've mentioned this before, but every time I here them it takes me back, crap songs but still, Mull of Kintyre by McCartney and Floral Dance by Wogan.

nottsc151177me2cq8.jpg

Ha, any excuse to use that pic again eh :lol: