LOTW - 20/9/07 - Gary Kelly

Stevie_J

lotwkellyef2.jpg

Welcome to the twenty-first Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's a goalkeeper, who for me is one of the biggest Latics heroes in the post-Prem era, Gary Kelly.

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary comes from a famous goalkeeping family. He followed the examples of his dad Alan and brother Alan by being good enough to be in the Republic of Ireland squad. His dad and brother played for their country but I'm not sure whether Gary made it off the bench.

Several new members have mentioned the 2-1 victory at Maine Road against Citeh on 13th March 1999 as their most memorable game. In that game Gary Kelly produced one of his great performances, including a penalty save. See match report:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Repor...,-13888,00.html

His disco pants were the best - they went right from his arse to his chest. :grin:

Gary comes from a famous goalkeeping family. He followed the examples of his dad Alan and brother Alan by being good enough to be in the Republic of Ireland squad. His dad and brother played for their country but I'm not sure whether Gary made it off the bench.

Several new members have mentioned the 2-1 victory at Maine Road against Citeh on 13th March 1999 as their most memorable game. In that game Gary Kelly produced one of his great performances, including a penalty save. See match report:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Repor...,-13888,00.html

His disco pants were the best - they went right from his arse to his chest. :grin:

That 1-2 at Maine Road was a special game for me as it marked a comeback to the fold after something of a lapse for me. I though GK was absolutely outstanding that day, and the day was made all the sweeter as me and my brother had travelled to MR with 3 avid City supporting mates. We never heard a peep out of them on the way home. That game was also memorable for one of the funniest streaks I've ever seen :shakeit:

I thought Gary Kelly was one of our most consistent performers during that dark period, and was a brilliant stopper for a keeper who wasn't big in size but had huge presence. I lost count of the number of times he saved our bacon over the time he was with the club.

Cheers Gary!

Edited by danoafc

Gary Kelly was a quality goalkeeper. A little short on size but a great shot stopper and he even came for a cross or two in his time as well. Saved us so many points and he needed to be on top form always with some of the defenders he had in front of him at times! Sharp's best signing by quite some way IMO and all for a bargain 10k as well.

Here's a picture from the Evening News on the Monday after the win against City. One of Kels finest performances.

pt1005smallco7.jpg

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Guest sheridans_world
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the number of times Gary turned a forward who was trying to close him down. Never failed, as far as I remember.

I was just about to come in and type my part out, reading through thinking 'yes no one has mentioned it' then get down to yours. :lol:

GK, what a keeper, i dont think that anyone could over-rate him with anything they say. In my opinion he could have played at a level higher for longer. Great shot stopper, came for crosses more often than not, best kicking i have seen out of anything since and then of course his skills. I remeber him doing it in front of the chaddy, i remeber him doing it infront of the Rocky Road. Everytime he pulled it off was brilliant (and if Stevie is correct) to do that so often without messing it up is superb.

Bring back GK!!

Anyone know what he is up to now? I saw him on the masters football a few months ago playing for Newcastle i think :mmm:

I was just about to come in and type my part out, reading through thinking 'yes no one has mentioned it' then get down to yours. :lol:

GK, what a keeper, i dont think that anyone could over-rate him with anything they say. In my opinion he could have played at a level higher for longer. Great shot stopper, came for crosses more often than not, best kicking i have seen out of anything since and then of course his skills. I remeber him doing it in front of the chaddy, i remeber him doing it infront of the Rocky Road. Everytime he pulled it off was brilliant (and if Stevie is correct) to do that so often without messing it up is superb.

Bring back GK!!

Anyone know what he is up to now? I saw him on the masters football a few months ago playing for Newcastle i think :mmm:

I knew there was a reason i loved Gary Kelly and its now all become clear his silky skills past attackers lol:) cant believe i forgot about that just made me smile for the first time all day in work,getting grumpy trying to give up smoking

I knew there was a reason i loved Gary Kelly and its now all become clear his silky skills past attackers lol:) cant believe i forgot about that just made me smile for the first time all day in work,getting grumpy trying to give up smoking

Keep going with the stopping Wozz (if you get what I mean). I always used to say "He's to small to be a good keeper" and then he would usually pull out a string of saves to ensure I had to show my backside to the Chaddy. Always set himself up properly which made it look as if he had plenty of time. No Andy Goram but a belting keeper nonetheless. Wonder what he's doing now

Edited by happyterryb