Doing Our Bit - A Peaceful Rally On Saturday

Very proud today. I was about to ring my two younger cousins who I bring to games to inform them the usual meeting point had changes. Cousin interrupts with "you're doing that march aren't you, we are".

Didn't even need me to tell them. They'd decided with or without me they were going! See you all tomorrow.

I've had that from a few people too....especially one mate who's said he's text 10 other people....I didn't know he knew 10 other people :grin:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are going to be a few short speeches before the March starts. Alan Hardy; Barry Owen and myself will be saying a few words before Sheridans_World starts the rally with his Battlecry.

Latics&England can't be there as he's on his way back from Austria but I have plagiarised a great line from one of his posts yesterday to use in my bit and so he will be there in spirit!

We had thought of saying something on reaching Boundary Park however the Police want the March to disburse as soon as possible once we reach the ground.

I'm planning on parking at BP and then getting a bus up to the Civic. Like you, I've got my 3 lads with me and I know that they won't be able to manage the walk each way.

edit

Edited by OminousPoultry

Good stuff IC...will you be waiting until 1pm to make the speeches? As you know how crowds tend to go....say meet for 12.45pm and leave at 1pm means loads turn up right at 1pm.

Ross - I think we will be starting to talk just after 1pm. Should only take 5 mins max for all the speeches as we want to keep them short.

Love the Winston Churchill quote as well. But what does he have to do with Oldham? :grin:

And Tulsehill - As for "disburse", I looked at it and though "that's wrong". But I couldn't be arsed checking my words as I'm knackered! I knew someone would correct me though and my money was on you!

Some inspiration for S_W and Inspiral...with apologies to the great Winston Churchill...

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.

We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job.

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill

British politician (1874 - 1965)

He also spoke on the West Street Site, which is now where the Civic Centre is erected.

Never have so many been misled for so long by so few.

We will never be defeated!

Love the Winston Churchill quote as well. But what does he have to do with Oldham? :grin:

Just a bit of inspiration for the rally cry...not much better than Churchill for that...and just for your general knowledge Churchill was actually MP for Oldham in 1900 (after failing to be elected on a previous attempt)...bet he would've voted for the new stadium :grin:

Churchill

Just a bit of inspiration for the rally cry...not much better than Churchill for that...and just for your general knowledge Churchill was actually MP for Oldham in 1900 (after failing to be elected on a previous attempt)...bet he would've voted for the new stadium :grin:

Churchill

He did change his colours a bit, but I think deep down he was a Latics' fan.

I also heard that Elvis was and Santa is a Latics' fan. :grin:

Has the Queen replied yet? :wink:

Funny, I was thinking about Churchill's rallying cries earlier, and saw the quote mentioned above when I was looking for the precise words of the one below. Surely the greatest ever 'Oldhamer'.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,

we shall fight on the seas and oceans,

we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,

we shall fight on the beaches,

we shall fight on the landing grounds,

we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,

we shall fight in the hills;

we shall never surrender!

He (Churchill) also spoke on the West Street Site, which is now where the Civic Centre is erected.

Never have so many been misled for so long by so few.

We will never be defeated!

Here he is in 1945 addressing the people of Oldham, overlooking our meeting point for the march today.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/203976...854027f.jpg?v=0

In those days everything appeared to be in black and white. Nowadays Cllr Bashforth is trying to tell us that black is white when it comes to traffic matters.

Just a thought .........If Chris Taylor was marching with us would he be more suited to march on the right or the left? :wink:

If ever anyone doubted that a football cub is about its fans and that the players are only the fans' temporary representatives, those doubts must have disappeared after the last 48 hours.

SAVE OUR CLUB!

There are going to be a few short speeches before the March starts. Alan Hardy; Barry Owen and myself will be saying a few words before Sheridans_World starts the rally with his Battlecry.

Latics&England can't be there as he's on his way back from Austria but I have plagiarised a great line from one of his posts yesterday to use in my bit and so he will be there in spirit!

We had thought of saying something on reaching Boundary Park however the Police want the March to disburse as soon as possible once we reach the ground.

I'm planning on parking at BP and then getting a bus up to the Civic. Like you, I've got my 3 lads with me and I know that they won't be able to manage the walk each way.

Cheers Inspiral. I'm really pleased that you chose to use the line regarding Oldham's defining image.

I was gutted not to be able to get along but from all I heard, everything seemed to have gone exceedingly well. Just a shame we couldn't have got the right result to go with it.

It is crucial now that we follow this up with a continued press campaign. Today was the one big initial event but this story needs to be reported EVERY DAY and with the commitment Latics fans have shown so far, there is no reason why that is not achievable.