Keep it on the front page

We need to start considering what the next step will be after the march so I thought I'd set up a thread for people to submit ideas. Apologies if it's been done elsewhere, I'm finding it impossible to read all the threads at present. Mods please feel free to merge it if it has.

I'll start the ball rolling:

I think Latics fans need to be visible in and around the town, not just on matchdays, especially as the next home game after tomorrow is two weeks away (possibly more, depending on the Donny Replay result). Everywhere the councillors look they need to see support for the club. When they nip out for a butty they should see people in Latics scarves. When they are stuck in a traffic jam the car in front should have a car flag or a scarf out of the window (Those of us able to drive two cars at the same time can obviously be more effective in this :) ).

Might it also be possible to get posters printed for people to display in windows in support of the plans?

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

As the rarely wrong Chron will not want to be seen to be leaning towards the Club, how about asking the Advertiser or MEN to produce a free poster insert for people to display in the window of their house/bungalow/flat/shop/office?

maybe someone could organise a petition for the general public to sign,and a few people with time on there hands stand in oldham town centre,get a sense of feeling from all the public.

I think after the march on Saturday, we should carry on the emails to question objections the Councillors have and will continue to air and also wait for a few days (till Tues afternoon) for the OMBC and TTA to declare where both stand after the events from Weds night onwards.

Then we can all divulge that and proceed from there. With the added boost that the Trust have a meeting arranged next Thursday to act on matters arising over the next 72 hours, if more action is needed.

Great start so far though....and the poster idea is an excellent one too. But it'll be even better if some windows on Carlton Way and nearby roads have these posters in....surely they're not all against it from there. Infact, if we had some residents from that area coming out in support of the stadium, it would really push on the campaign!

Edited by boundaryblue80

maybe the fans team can play a team from carlton way? Winner takes all?

fully in support of the poster idea btw cracking idea, the advertiser doesnt get circulated until weds tho, we may have heard some news either way by then

Edited by philliggi

]

I think after the march on Saturday, we should carry on the emails to question objections the Councillors have and will continue to air and also wait for a few days (till Tues afternoon) for the OMBC and TTA to declare where both stand after the events from Weds night onwards.

Agreed. I wrote loads of emails to various Councillors and MPs and have only had 4 replies.

The chasers will start on Sunday and will continue until they respond.

]

Agreed. I wrote loads of emails to various Councillors and MPs and have only had 4 replies.

The chasers will start on Sunday and will continue until they respond.

And if you've received the same as me the answers are, in the main, word for word the same from councillors B'shforth and Larkin .

They've clearly put their heads together, thought about it, made a draft, thought about it some more, tweaked it then re-drafted the response, and still they've come up with the 1000 adults = 2000 cars joke of a response.

Out of interest, how are the seven who voted against the proposal split on Party lines? I assume B'shforth and Larkin are from the same Party.

I, like you, will be chasing up those who have not yet responded after the weekend.

OWTB should also resolve the situation with the Trust. There are 2 factions appearing - the OWTB group and the Trust. Various posts recently question what the Trust is currently doing - in comparison to the OWTB community they are doing little, however it's a ready made vehicle if we (OWTB) wish to use it.......meeting next Thursday with elections etc and I'm sure ad-hoc meetings can be called

Just wanted to post this while I thought of it. For another Planning Committee meeting to be convened, a minimum of three clear working days' notice (excluding weekends) must be given to the Councillors. So if say it was decided on Monday to call a special meeting, the three clear days would be Tues, Wed and Thurs, meaning Friday would be the earliest date.

Just wanted to post this while I thought of it. For another Planning Committee meeting to be convened, a minimum of three clear working days' notice (excluding weekends) must be given to the Councillors. So if say it was decided on Monday to call a special meeting, the three clear days would be Tues, Wed and Thurs, meaning Friday would be the earliest date.

Do we know if there are any meetings of the Planning Committee scheduled in the near futue?

Bashforth and Larkin are Labour, and i Believe christine Wheeler is as well. not sure about the others

Christine Wheeler is Lib Dem, in Saddleworth (can't remember exact ward).

For reference (it's elsewhere, but worth adding here...)

Those who voted against were 3 Labour, 3 Lib Dem and 1 Conservative. Those voting for were 3 Labour and 1 Lib Dem.

Against:

Bashforth - Labour

Larkin - Labour

Iqbal - Labour

Hindle - Lib Dem

Pendlebury - Lib Dem

Wheeler - Lib Dem

Rogers - Conservative.

For:

Sutcliffe - Labour

Jones - Labour

Dawson - Labour

Blyth - Lib Dem

Planning Committee members are compelled to judge each application personally. i.e. party lines are not allowed.

As far as I know, planning committee convenes monthly, roughly middle Wednesday of the month.

Edited by garcon

OWTB should also resolve the situation with the Trust. There are 2 factions appearing - the OWTB group and the Trust. Various posts recently question what the Trust is currently doing - in comparison to the OWTB community they are doing little, however it's a ready made vehicle if we (OWTB) wish to use it.......meeting next Thursday with elections etc and I'm sure ad-hoc meetings can be called

I wouldn't go so far as to call it factions, and I'm sure those who run OWTB wouldn't either. But I do think some fans are unsure of what the Trust are doing.

In my opinion, that is NOT because they are doing little, but because it is behind the scenes, whereas what OWTB is doing is very open - and everyone in here can see it.

I'll be there on Thursday too, work allowing.

if you can get someone to print flyers out about latics plight to re build the ground etc ,i am sure some fans will be willing to pass them out in the town centre and on peoples cars etc

Agreed. It's labour intensive (90% probably get thrown away without being read, so you only ever get any kind of return from a tenth of the flyers you hand out), but it is worth it.

I would suggest this is raised to the Trust - who may be in a position to finance printing and have some experience in this kind of thing. OWTB could offer suggestions on content, and manpower.

How about a leaflet done in say 'word' which anyone can download. On it just a simple message stating the council refusing the new stadium and if you dont agree please email or write to your councillor to express so. On the leaflet councillors names, wards and email/adress for people to contact. We all can print off say 100 leaflets and pop them through doors around the town. Save on printers costs.

Likewise a A4 size poster thats downloadable for houses and shops if they wish to support the action that way too.

Hopefully the march will have put us on the front page of the Chron (and other media organs) on Monday. But we need to be there on Tuesday, and Wednesday, and so on. By Tuesday the march is old news, so we need a media event on Monday. We need to keep it in the council's face.

Any ideas? Can anyone with media savvy suggest how we get continuing coverage?

We have to show the councillors that we are not going to let it go. And we have to show TTA that a large part of the town is behind them.

Then, we hope, a compromise solution will be found that leaves the plans largely intact, but allows the councillors to make a show of having saved face.

So any ideas? We probably can't get 1,000 people together again that quickly, but we need to keep the momentum going, not just let it slip back. Can the Trust help? Any celebs who will do something for us?

:cardinal:

Edited by The Chaplain

I wouldn't go so far as to call it factions, and I'm sure those who run OWTB wouldn't either. But I do think some fans are unsure of what the Trust are doing.

In my opinion, that is NOT because they are doing little, but because it is behind the scenes, whereas what OWTB is doing is very open - and everyone in here can see it.

I'll be there on Thursday too, work allowing.

Faction - "A group of people who express a shared belief or opinion". Maybe we - as Trust members - might be expected to know what is going on behind the scenes...

anyway - point made and taken.