Oldham's Best Ever Player

From watching latics in the 90's.... id say between Halle, Barrett, Ritchie & Palmer........... To name but a few what about Ricky Holden Magical! Give it to the end of the season and il add Hughesy to that list!

The Bert Lister Years

http://www.oldhamathleticyears.com/years/1...5statistics.htm

or in short 4th div 1960-63

3rd div till he left for rochdale in 65

Edited by Davros

ooooooooooo roger palmer!!!!

Whilst Ritchie is one of my alltime favourites, he could have been the greatest if he hadn't always been crocked with muscle strains during his first 7 years here. (Which normally accounted for him missing at least 10 matches a season(Along with broken wrists, back operations etc) But some of his goals and link up play was superb and how he never even got a 'B' Cap is beyond me as in 1990 Lineker and Beardsley aside he was the best striker in the country.

But I have to go for the Dodger, particularly for his Hat-Trick at Shrewsbury, after us being 2 down at HT his brace v Swindon when we were 2 down, his fantastic equaliser against Everton when we had been 2 down (again), erm pattern developing, his late, late goal v WBA in the Championship Season and of course him ghosting in at the far post at Maine Road to level the Semi-Final in 1990.

Not to mention Sir Roger Day - 27th August 1988! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH Roger Palmer! The owd fella used to call him Mr. Reliable, how right he was.

Speaking of the owd fella, he still raves about Fryatt and Shaw, particularly David Shaw. He also comments on the class of Simon Stainrod and the skill of Alan Groves. My own personal favourite was Tommy Wright, skilful, quick and scored two headers at Maine Road! But the greatest has to be Sir Roger of Palmer.

Edited by oafcprozac

Whilst Ritchie is one of my alltime favourites, he could have been the greatest if he hadn't always been crocked with muscle strains during his first 7 years here. (Which normally accounted for him missing at least 10 matches a season(Along with broken wrists, back operations etc) But some of his goals and link up play was superb and how he never even got a 'B' Cap is beyond me as in 1990 Lineker and Beardsley aside he was the best striker in the country.

But I have to go for the Dodger, particularly for his Hat-Trick at Shrewsbury, after us being 2 down at HT his brace v Swindon when we were 2 down, his fantastic equaliser against Everton when we had been 2 down (again), erm pattern developing, his late, late goal v WBA in the Championship Season and of course him ghosting in at the far post at Maine Road to level the Semi-Final in 1990.

Not to mention Sir Roger Day - 27th August 1988! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH Roger Palmer! The owd fella used to call him Mr. Reliable, how right he was.

Speaking of the owd fella, he still raves about Fryatt and Shaw, particularly David Shaw. He also comments on the class of Simon Stainrod and the skill of Alan Groves. My own personal favourite was Tommy Wright, skilful, quick and scored two headers at Maine Road! But the greatest has to be Sir Roger of Palmer.

Best Goalkeeper - Andy Goram (First spell obviously)

Most consistent Jon Hallworth 90/91 he was fantastic that year but never really repeated his performances after that and was pretty much Number 2 to Gerrard after his injury at Old Trafford (supposedly did it out boozing), which kept him out for the best part of a year.

Real tough one this I have many favourites and a few I can just remember. My nominations would include.

Ian Towers,Ronnie Blair,Roger Palmer,Keith Bebbington,David Shaw,Jim fryatt,Tommy Bryceland,Maurice Whittle,AlanGroves,Andy Ritchie,Rick Holden,The legend that never was Billy Johnston,Alan Lawson(hardestever player to wear the blue shirt),Vic Halom,Simon Stainrod,Rodger wylde,John Hurst,Paul Futcher,Frankie Bunn,

In the end I had to pick stitch for his goals and memories and the fact he still loves Oldham. Alan Groves comes a very close second in my view he was the complete entertainer . If he was playing today he would probably be playing for England RIP Alan.

Robert

One name i havent seen mentioned.. Nicky Henry!

What a quality player, from start to finish he was at the oppo, him and Milligan probably the best midfield pairing i have ever seen, both of them could tackle, and pass.

And to have Adams and Holden on the wings must have been a dream for them to play with, an outlet every time, with 2 men upfront, mainly Stitch and Palmer, we always had options.

In defence, Jobbo was a man mountain, Barrett was superb, and with our own Andy Barlow, and Mr Irwin at full back, we had the perfect team (imho)

As for the greatest player who wore a latics shirt, that is soooo tough, look at the players above and then look at the pleayers before and even during the same time, Marshall, Warhurst, Redfearn and John Keeley! AHEM!

For me though, it has to be Ricky Holden, how he was never recognised by England to play on the left is beyond me, he would beat a man without even breaking a sweat, and the amount of times he found his man he should have been at least knocking.

He flitted off to Citeh but realised he made a mistake, by coming home!

We've got Ricky, Ricky, Ricky, Ricky Holden on the wing, on the wing!